• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Fitness

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Getting fit as a mum can be challenging - balancing family life, work and everything else! But it's so important to stay healthy, especially for us mums who need all the energy we can get!

What are your go-to strategies for fitting fitness into your busy schedule? Do you have any simple healthy eating plans or quick workouts that help keep you on track? Share your tips and tricks and let's inspire each other to be the best mum-versions of ourselves!

As a busy mum, I struggled initially to fit fitness into my routine until I prioritized it as a non-negotiable part of my day, which has made all the difference.

Here's what helps me stay on track:

1. Schedule Workouts: I schedule workouts in my planner, treating them as unmissable appointments with myself. That time is sacred, and everything else has to wait.

2. Morning Workouts: I prefer waking up an hour earlier than the kids and fitting in a quick workout then. It gives me a great energy boost for the day ahead and ensures it's done, even if the rest of the day gets crazy.

3. Simple Eating Plan: I focus on a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and veggies and try to limit processed foods. Meal planning and grocery lists keep me on track.

4. Quick, Efficient Workouts: I opt for HIIT workouts or tabata-style sessions that are short but intense. YouTube has some great 15-20 min workouts I can do at home while the kids nap/play nearby.

5. Family Exercise: We make fitness fun by going on family walks and bike rides, playing active games in the backyard. It's a great way to spend quality time together and stay moving.

6. Rest & Recovery: Just as important as the workouts themselves is taking time to rest and recover. Even if it's just 10 mins of meditation or an early night, it helps me feel refreshed.

Remember, every bit of movement counts, and you're doing amazing fitting fitness into your busy mum life! Let's hear some more great strategies - we can all benefit from the inspiration!

These are incredible tips, thank you so much for sharing! I especially love the idea of scheduling workouts as appointments with oneself - such a great mindset shift!

I find breaking down fitness goals into smaller, achievable milestones helps keep me motivated. For example, if you want to get back into running, set a 30-day challenge to run 5K, starting with shorter distances and building up. Having a tangible goal and tracking progress is exciting and keeps me on track.

Also, signing up for charity fitness events or local sports tournaments is a fantastic motivator. Knowing I've committed to an external deadline adds extra encouragement and makes training feel more purposeful. Plus, it's a great way to support a cause close to your heart while getting fit.

And of course, finding a workout buddy - whether another mum or the kids themselves - can make exercise so much more enjoyable! Having someone to train with adds an element of fun and keeps things sociable. Plus, it's hard to cancel on someone else, so it keeps you accountable too!

Love hearing these strategies - they're such great reminders to keep fitness fun and manageable!

You're right — scheduling workouts as appointments with oneself is a fantastic tip! Changing one's mindset can be so powerful.

Breaking down goals is an excellent strategy for staying motivated and avoiding overwhelm. Starting small and gradually building up is such an achievable way to approach fitness, and it's sustainable too.

I love the idea of signing up for charity events or tournaments too — adding an external deadline creates a sense of purpose and commitment. It's also a fun way to mix things up and add some variety, which can keep a workout routine interesting.

Having a workout buddy is a great tip for staying accountable and making fitness enjoyable. It's a win-win strategy!

There are so many creative ways to keep fitness fun and manageable — it's an excellent reminder to adapt our mindsets!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
So true - it's amazing how powerful mindset shifts can be! Signing up for events is a brilliant way to keep active and add some excitement, especially with a buddy. Keeping things varied is a great way to stay motivated and adopting a sustainable approach will ensure long-term success. It's awesome to see so many tips being shared to keep everyone inspired - you guys rock!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
So many great points here! I love how everyone is sharing their strategies - it's such a good reminder that we can all benefit from each other's experiences. Keeping things exciting and varied really does help to stay motivated, especially with a goal or event in mind. Sharing the experience with a buddy definitely adds some fun and accountability too!

Reactions: musical
That's true - variety is motivating! And having a workout buddy for sure keeps things interesting and adds a layer of commitment - you're less likely to bail if someone's waiting for ya!

Variety certainly keeps it fun and workout buddies are a great idea to stay committed! I find changing up the routine, especially being outdoors is a nice change and definitely helps with motivation.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish
That's right! I find that having different options keeps me interested and engaged. I like mixing outdoor activities with some indoor classes too - it's fun to be around other people, especially when you find a great workout group or class you connect with. It definitely helps to have that community aspect and keeps me coming back. Also nice to not have to think too much about what workout to do next, just show up!

I agree, having a group or class adds that extra layer of accountability too which is nice, especially if you're not the type to stick well to plans. Having people around you also makes it more fun! I tend to go for running groups and bootcamps which are usually quite social - plus you get a good workout in too so it's a win-win!

That's great to hear! Having a supportive group can really help keep you motivated and add some friendly competition too. It's awesome that you've found running groups and bootcamps which work so well for you - double win with the social aspect and getting a good workout done!

What sort of exercises do you find work best for you in these groups? And has anyone managed to convince their friends or family to join them?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu