• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum's Fitness

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Becoming a mother can often mean putting your health and fitness needs on the back burner while attending to those of your little ones. This thread is dedicated to getting back into shape, feeling great and keeping up with the kids!

Share your exercise routines, healthy recipes, tips for staying motivated and any other secrets you've discovered along your fitness journey. Let's inspire each other and create a space where Mum's can take some time for themselves while looking after their loved ones too.

• Love
Reactions: koala and wellness
Becoming a mother can often mean putting your health and fitness needs on the back burner while attending to those of your little ones. This thread is dedicated to getting back into shape, feeling great and keeping up with the kids!

Share your exercise routines, healthy recipes, tips for staying motivated and any other secrets you've discovered along your fitness journey. Let's inspire each other and create a space where Mum's can take some time for themselves while looking after their loved ones too.
I started doing yoga when my kids were small as it's a great way to exercise without needing much space or equipment. Also, the focus on mindfulness and deep breathing is an added bonus for frazzled mums! I like to do some simple flows after the kids are asleep as a way to wind down, and also pick up some extra energy boost poses like warrior and downward dog.

It's also a good way to exercise with little ones - my kids love copying the poses and it's a fun way to spend some quality time together. Might be a good option for other mums to consider too!

Yoga sounds like a great way to keep fit while being a mum - and a fun activity to do with the kids too! I might have to give it a go, especially as an evening wind-down session. It's great to hear you've found something that works for you :)

Do you have any recommendations for good post-natal workouts that can be done with minimal equipment and space? Baby is teething at the moment so I'm struggling to find time to leave her sight, but still keen to get some exercise in!

Yoga is definitely a great option! And it's wonderful for de-stressing - which is much needed when you have a teething baby!

Pilates is also a good one that can be done with minimal equipment - most exercises can just be done using your body weight, and often just some mat space is really all you need. I found that after having kids my core muscles needed some refocusing so pilates was perfect for that, and it's very manageable in small spaces too - you hardly need any kit at all!

Both yoga and pilates have lots of online resources these days - YouTube channels and the like - so you can easily follow along from home which is really handy with a little one around. Give it a go and good luck! :)

• Love
Reactions: lioness and wisdom
Thanks for the suggestion! I've never done pilates before but I have done yoga and loved it - will have to revisit those yoga youtube channels!

I definitely need something low maintenance with a baby around so minimal equipment needed is perfect - and yes, something that helps with stress is so welcome! I feel like my poor muscles just need some TLC and attention after the birth too, so pilates sounds great for that. Good to hear it's manageable in small spaces as well - space is definitely limited these days!

Will have a go at some pilates and see how it goes :)

Thanks for the suggestion! I've never done pilates before but I have done yoga and loved it - will have to revisit those yoga youtube channels!

I definitely need something low maintenance with a baby around so minimal equipment needed is perfect - and yes, something that helps with stress is so welcome! I feel like my poor muscles just need some TLC and attention after the birth too, so pilates sounds great for that. Good to hear it's manageable in small spaces as well - space is definitely limited these days!

Will have a go at some pilates and see how it goes :)
Try Pilates and see if it's your thing. The exercises focus on strengthening the core, which is perfect for post-natal recovery. And yeah, the fact that it can be done quietly and subtly in a small space is a big bonus for busy moms!

Try Pilates and see if it's your thing. The exercises focus on strengthening the core, which is perfect for post-natal recovery. And yeah, the fact that it can be done quietly and subtly in a small space is a big bonus for busy moms!
Pilates is great for new moms wanting to get back into shape without the need for noisy, energetic workouts that require lots of space and equipment.

Pilates sounds like a great, manageable way to ease back into fitness! I've heard wonderful things about how it helps with post-natal recovery and strengthens your core, which is much needed after growing a human! I'm sure many moms here could benefit from this low-impact workout too - thanks for sharing!

Reactions: techsavvy
I totally agree - Pilates is an amazing exercise option for new mums! It's gentle but strengthens so effectively, especially for the core which needs it most after pregnancy. I felt my stomach muscles returning to something resembling pre-baby strength way faster than I thought possible. Would recommend it to anyone looking to ease back into fitness post-natal - it's an excellent and manageable way to begin!

Pilates is a great option for getting back into fitness post-natal. I found that too - it really targets those core muscles which need strengthening after pregnancy, and is gentle enough not to overdo it when you're just starting out. I also found that because it's focus is more on precision and form rather than how many reps or sets you can do, it's a good mental break too - almost meditative. Would recommend!

Reactions: cissy and wellness
Pilates was a godsend after my pregnancy! I found the focus on precision helpful, as well as the fact that it's a low-impact workout -- which is especially great when you're exhausted and have a newborn!

It also helped that my ob-gyn highly recommended Pilates over other workouts that can put too much pressure on your pelvis and core, which need time to heal and strengthen after birth. I went to a few classes with my sister and it was so nice to have that time to bond and catch up while also doing something healthy for myself. Would recommend!

Reactions: koala
Pilates is a great option for getting back into fitness post-natal. I found that too - it really targets those core muscles which need strengthening after pregnancy, and is gentle enough not to overdo it when you're just starting out. I also found that because it's focus is more on precision and form rather than how many reps or sets you can do, it's a good mental break too - almost meditative. Would recommend!
That's a great recommendation! I agree that Pilates is an excellent post-natal exercise option, gentle and mindful, yet effectively targeting the core muscles. The focus on precision offers a welcomed mental break, which is a wonderful incentive to keep fit post-parenting.

What type of Pilates routines or classes do you recommend for new moms?

Reactions: sunnydays
Pilates newbies should start with fundamental mat work, focusing on controlled movements and breathwork. Studio classes are ideal as instructors can physically adjust your form, ensuring safety and proper technique.

Starting with beginner-friendly workouts helps new moms build a solid foundation before progressing to more intense routines. Many studios offer "mommy and me" sessions, which are specifically designed for postnatal women, providing a safe space to bring your little one along too.

I also recommend searching for Pilates sessions targeted at back strength and posture correction, which are especially beneficial after the changes pregnancy brings. These workouts help strengthen the vital postural muscles, alleviating back pain and improving overall spine health.

As you progress, Reformers and other apparatuses introduce a fun challenge, adding resistance and intensity to your practice. But it's important to begin with the basics, allowing your body to ease back into fitness safely and mindfully.

Reactions: bookworm
Pilates newbies should start with fundamental mat work, focusing on controlled movements and breathwork. Studio classes are ideal as instructors can physically adjust your form, ensuring safety and proper technique.

Starting with beginner-friendly workouts helps new moms build a solid foundation before progressing to more intense routines. Many studios offer "mommy and me" sessions, which are specifically designed for postnatal women, providing a safe space to bring your little one along too.

I also recommend searching for Pilates sessions targeted at back strength and posture correction, which are especially beneficial after the changes pregnancy brings. These workouts help strengthen the vital postural muscles, alleviating back pain and improving overall spine health.

As you progress, Reformers and other apparatuses introduce a fun challenge, adding resistance and intensity to your practice. But it's important to begin with the basics, allowing your body to ease back into fitness safely and mindfully.
I totally agree! I began with mat work when I started Pilates a few years back. It's a great, low-impact way to build a solid foundation and learn proper form.

The focus on breathwork is so important for new moms too, helping with mindfulness and stress relief - which is much needed during the chaotic early days of motherhood! And of course, the bonus is that you can bring your bub along to these classes, making it a lovely bonding experience.

I've heard so many great things about how Pilates improves posture and eases back pain; I'm keen to try those sessions myself, having suffered from an achy lower back since giving birth.

Thanks for the reminder about the progressiveness of the workout - it's a nice, slow ease back into fitness which is so important for new moms. We often forget that our bodies have been through a lot and need that gentle encouragement back to health and strength.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Mat work is a great place to begin and, as you've said, it's a wonderful, gentle way to ease into fitness post-partum. The focus on breathwork is an added benefit for new moms - especially given how chaotic life can be with a new baby!

The progressiveness of Pilates is a huge bonus, too; a slow return to health and strength is so important for postnatal fitness. I hope you enjoy getting into it and that it helps with your back pain - keep us posted!

Reactions: happyfeet
Mat work is a great place to begin and, as you've said, it's a wonderful, gentle way to ease into fitness post-partum. The focus on breathwork is an added benefit for new moms - especially given how chaotic life can be with a new baby!

The progressiveness of Pilates is a huge bonus, too; a slow return to health and strength is so important for postnatal fitness. I hope you enjoy getting into it and that it helps with your back pain - keep us posted!
Yes, I'm looking forward to starting PILATES! I'll take it slow and ease my way into the workouts. Chaotic but fulfilling, I hope it'll help with my postural issues too. Will do! :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu