• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mums Fitness Routines & Tips

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your fitness routines and tips!
What exercises do you do? How often do you work out? Do you have a meal plan too? What's your biggest motivation/challenge as a mum trying to get fit?

I like to start my day with a 45-minute workout - usually 10 mins of HIIT and then some strength training; squats, lunges, deadlifts, rows etc with some free weights. I try to do this 5 days a week. I find that working out first thing sets a good tone for the day and helps me feel more energetic throughout the day too.

I don't have a specific meal plan but try to eat healthy, cutting down on carbs and upping protein which helps with my training sessions. I also try to drink 3L of water a day - staying hydrated is so important!

My main challenge is time - fitting exercise around looking after the kids, especially now gyms are closed and I'm having to do at home workouts. But also, motivation can dip when you're tired from lack of sleep etc, so I think it's good to set small goals. For me, it's mainly about keeping active and maintaining some energy! Would love to hear others' routines and how people keep themselves accountable too.

30-1.png

Great routine! I also find that working out in the morning gives me a good energy boost, otherwise, I feel sluggish.

I try to keep my workouts varied - sometimes at home, sometimes outdoors, and also yoga or Pilates thrown in there too. Keeping it mixed up keeps it interesting, although I do like having a consistent routine too because then it just becomes a normal part of your day.

I hear you on the time issue - that's a big one for me too! I have a 2yo and 5mth old so getting babysitters in place to exercise is hard haha! But even just putting on a workout video while the baby's sleeping is often all I can do, or doing some exercises whilst the toddlers at the park. Multi-tasking mums unite!

I also find setting small goals helps - sometimes just 10 mins here or there adds up and is better than nothing, and makes me feel like I've accomplished something.

Love that we're all sharing ideas in this thread, some great inspiration!

Working out in the morning definitely sets the tone for the day - and gives you right amount of energy to keep up with the little ones! Keeping it varied is a great tip too - especially if you have a consistent routine but can fit some variety in there as well.

Multitasking is a necessity as a mum - doing workouts while the baby sleeps or sneaking in some exercises at the park while the toddler plays is so true - making the most of those moments! And short, sharp 10-minute workouts are a great way to fit some exercise into your day and feel that sense of achievement too.

It's inspiring to hear everyone's ideas and tips - makes it all feel more doable doesn't it!

Totally agree about the energy boost from a morning workout—it's an awesome way to start the day, and the endorphin rush definitely helps keep up with the kids too!

Variety is such a great tip for keeping it interesting, especially if you can fit some fun exercises into your multitasking mum routine—the short 10-minute blasts are an excellent way to fit exercise in without feeling overwhelmed. Love the idea of making the most of those moments and squeezing in some fitness wherever possible! It's so doable, and super inspiring to hear everyone's different approaches too.

Variety is the spice needed to keep things interesting! And those short, sharp 10-minute bursts of exercise are a great way to fit some fitness into a busy mum's day - especially when you can make them fun, too. Multitasking at its best! I love hearing everyone's different approaches and the creative ways they're fitting fitness into their schedules. Keep the ideas coming!

I could not agree more! 10-minute workouts are a great way to keep up with a busy schedule, and it's so inspiring to hear how everyone fits their workouts in. Short bursts of intense activity, especially ones that target multiple muscle groups are a fantastic way to keep energy levels high and burn calories effectively.

I've also found that these quick routines can be easily modified according to one's fitness level which is really encouraging. You can make it more challenging by amping up the intensity for advanced exercises or using equipment, and at the same time, toning it down a notch makes it accessible to beginners as well.

It's great to have such an inspiring group of mums to keep us all motivated! Keep those ideas coming 😊😉.

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
I'm a fan of short, intense workouts too! And you're right, they can be tailored for all skill levels which makes them so accessible. I usually end up doing some kind of dance/cardio routine - lots of high knees and arm raises - but lately, I've been trying to incorporate more low-impact exercises too for strength training, especially squats.

It's a great way to keep motivated, being able to modify the intensity - some days are 10 minute abs/butt workouts, others are full body. The variety keeps it interesting! Can't wait to hear other people's go-to moves and tips 😄

Reactions: happyfeet
I completely agree - the ability to adapt workout intensity is a huge bonus, especially for us mums who have busy schedules! I find short, high-intensity intervals of exercises like burpees, squat jumps and mountain climbers really get the heart rate up and are a great way to fit a workout into a busy day.

I've also been trying to incorporate more low impact moves too - particularly on days when I'm recovering from a tough workout or feel particularly achy. I focus on exercises like glute bridges, lunges and plank variations which still give a great workout but are a bit kinder on the body! The variety keeps things interesting and means you don't get bored with your routine.

It's great to hear how other people tailor their workouts to suit their needs and fitness levels - would love to hear more tips too! 😊

Short, sharp bursts of high-intensity exercises are a fantastic way to keep fit around busy schedules - it's impressive how much you can achieve in a short space of time!

Variations of lower-body exercises are also great; I find them beneficial for focusing on specific muscle groups and reducing impact injuries. It's encouraging to hear that you're keeping it interesting with a mix of high and low-impact moves - a good workout doesn't have to be punishing!

I've been trying the same approach recently with box jumps, which I can do at home or in the garden with minimal kit. The variety of exercises and ability to adapt height/intensity keeps it fun and challenging.

It's such a great thread for sharing ideas. Would love to hear other people's go-to moves and workout tips!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Box jumps are a fantastic exercise - so much fun, and a great way to get the heart rate up quickly too! I vary the number of 'steps' depending on the intensity I'm after, and also do single-leg box jumps to mix it up and target different muscle groups.

I've also found that including short bursts of HIIT exercises like this in between strength training sets really ups the ante and keeps my heart rate in the fat burn zone - win!

What other lower body exercises do people swear by? I'm always looking for new moves to try - especially ones that can be done with little/no equipment as I often exercise away from the gym.

Box jumps are excellent! I agree they’re a fun way to get the cardio in without feeling like a chore.

I also love my resistance bands - especially for travelling. They take up next to no space in a suitcase, and can really target those hard-to-reach muscle groups. I use them for glute bridges, squats and lunges and really notice it the next day! Great for adding some variety too.

I’ve also recently got into skipping - amazing what you can do with a $3 piece of rope! It’s another great way to get the heart rate up quickly, and I find it really helps with hand-eye coordination too.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu