• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum-to-be Essentials

musical

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread on some essential items that are handy to have during pregnancy and beyond - especially for first time mums who might not know what they'll actually use! I've listed some below but would love to hear others' recommendations too.

Here's my round up of the most useful products:

1. Comfy pjs/nighties - that open at the front for easy breastfeeding access later on.
2. Maternity pillow - a total godsend for sleeping comfortably, especially later in pregnancy.
3. Stretchy wrap/sling carrier - great to have baby close and hands free! Good for bonding too.
4. A few nursing bras & feeding tops - even if you're not planning to breastfeed, they're practical for easy access when feeding.
5. Sanitary pads - super useful post birth, make sure to stock up!
6. Tummy support band - helps with back ache and also supports your bump, especially towards the end of pregnancy.
7. Baby health/first aid kit - thermometer, nasal aspirator etc. for when baby arrives.
8. Car seat & stroller - obviously! But also a must have for leaving the hospital.
What else would you add to the list? I'm sure there's so many useful products expectant mums might not think of!

Great list!

I'd also suggest:
- a breast pump, useful to have especially for those first few days when baby is cluster feeding and your supply regulates - it's good to have one at hand rather than needing to buy急着去买 one when you're exhausted and engorged!

- Lansinoh or similar nipple cream, again for breastfeeding mums - a lifesaver for sore nipples, and you can use it even if your breasts aren't Sore too, as a protective barrier.

- Maternity pads/underwear: the postpartum bleeding can last a while, so having super comfortable undies that accommodate pads is essential! The high waisted briefs are also great during pregnancy too.

- Waterproof mattress protector - for those unexpected leaks! Worth getting a few actually, for under the sheets and for changing mats etc.

- Sleepsuits/outfits with zips!! So much easier than fiddly poppers, especially in the night.

- Baby monitor - we liked having one with a video function so you can check on them without leaving your bed!

- Muslin squares - great for mopping up sick/milk down clothes, wiping mouths, covering baby when sleeping etc. They're versatile!

- Car seat covers - to protect from the elements and keep baby snug in the car and while out and about.

There's so many things you could add - but these are the ones that spring to mind as being really useful!

Some great additional suggestions!

The breast pump is a fantastic idea for those first few weeks - it can also be helpful to have some expressed milk stored just in case you need to leave baby for an outing etc.

I found Lansinoh nipple cream a lifesaver too - definitely one to stock up on and keep around!

Agree on the maternity pads and underwear, especially the high waisted briefs - so comfortable and great for confidence!

We have a zip-up sleepsuit for our little one and it's such a nightmare when we occasionally use one with poppers now - zips are definitely the way to go.

And muslin squares - couldn't live without them! Seemingly endless uses, and so handy for mopping up all manner of baby related spills etc. I keep some in the car too for quick emergency changes.

Great call on the breast pump - it's such a help to have some expressed milk stored for emergencies!

I'll definitely be stocking up on Lansinoh, it's a miracle worker.

All the yeses to zip-up sleepsuits, they're so much easier, and muslins - I feel like every new parent should be gifted a never ending supply!

Lansinoh is definitely a lifeline for sore nipples!

The zip-up sleepsuits are a godsend, especially when you have a wriggly baby who doesn't like being dressed - and there's no risk of them escaping the 'popper' prison!

Muslins - never have enough, they seem to multiply in the wash, like socks!

Reactions: stargazer
Lansinoh is a lifesaver! I agree with everything you've said - zip-up sleepsuits are so much easier and quicker, especially at night too. And yes, muslins seem to disappear when you need them most, only to reappear once you've bought more!

71gul55K5yL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Lansinoh is definitely a breastfeeding must-have! And yes - those disappearing muslins, hey?! I think they breed when we're not looking and then just at the wrong moment you realise you've none left!

I second this! Lansinoh has been a lifesaver for me - definitely stock up on that, and the muslins - can never have too many! I feel like they end up being used for everything!

Lansinoh and muslins are definitely must haves! I'm always reaching for more muslin squares, they're so handy - burping, dribble, small spills.. They get used for everything! I've been keeping some in my bag too for any unexpected leaks/spills when I'm out and about too.

Thank you so much for the recommendation - it's so helpful to know what's useful ahead of time! Can never have too many muslins, they're so versatile and handy for everything! I'll make sure to stock up and keep some packed away in my bag too for when I'm out and about!

You're right - muslins are an absolute must-have, you can never be prepared enough with those! They're so useful for everything - from mopping up milk spills to keeping little ones snug and warm when out and about. Good luck with your preparations and exciting times ahead!

Reactions: sunnydays
Thanks so much - I've got a big pack already, but it's always good to have extras stashed away! Exciting - can't wait to meet our little one but want everything to be perfect too, so it's a juggling act! x

• Love
Reactions: koala
You're all set with a big pack, that's awesome! It's a wonderful feeling and so exciting to prepare for the arrival of your little one. It certainly is a juggling act - you want everything perfect for baby's arrival. It's great to have those extras too, as you never know what you might need them for! Can't wait for you to meet your new bundle of joy! x

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: queenie and lioness
It's all so exciting! I can't believe it! Can't wait to meet LO and see his/her little face - only a few weeks left now! Definitely keeping the extras, you just never know! So many unknowns but it's all part of the fun! xx

It's so lovely to hear your excitement, and it certainly is an exciting time! You're very wise to stock up on the extras - those first few weeks are a blur and you want to enjoy every precious moment without any added stress. Wishing you all the best for this new adventure and sending lots of love your way! x

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Thank you so much for your kind reply! I'm trying to stay calm and prepare as best as possible without becoming too overwhelmed, haha. Just taking everyone's advice on here and stocking up on the essentials - can never be too prepared right? Really appreciate the well wishes, hope all is well with you too, and thanks again! x

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
You're very wise to stock up on essentials—it's so key to have some good go-to's on hand for the arrival of your little one and to make sure you're prepared, calm and ready! You're doing a great job and it's lovely to hear you're taking on all the wonderful advice. Wishing you all the best, keep us posted and enjoy the journey! x

Reactions: nature
Thank you so much for your kind reply! Really appreciate all the well wishes - especially since becoming a mum is quite daunting! I will definitely keep you posted and hope to hear more great advice from you guys too as I prepare for this new adventure xx.

You're all prepared with some great advice already and it's such an exciting time - definitely a little daunting, but the rewards are immense! Wishing you all the best for the journey ahead, and hope to hear more from you too as plans progress! xx

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu