• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mum Advice Needed

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I'm going through a really tough time with my toddler and I need some advice from fellow mums who have been there, done that.

My little one is currently going through a phase where they wake up multiple times throughout the night asking for water. It's getting to the point where it's not just waking me up throughout the night but also affecting our normal morning routine. I've tried establishing a bedtime and stick-to-it routine before sleep, but clearly that's not working as well as I had hoped.

I was thinking of trying something new - is anyone else out there who has successfully managed their child's nighttime water requests? Do you have any tips or tricks up your sleeve that might just help me get some more sleep (and maybe establish a bit more harmony here at home)?

• Love
Reactions: nature
I've found that having a "last water" rule can really help with this issue - essentially, it's agreed upon between you and your child that their last drink for the night is at a certain time . This way, they know what to expect and there should be less need for midnight requests. Be sure to establish clear boundaries and communicate them clearly with your child so they understand what the rule entails.

In terms of implementing this approach effectively, it might be worth thinking about how you're going to manage situations where your child asks for water outside of the agreed-upon time - are you going to be strict and tell them no every single time? Or can there be some flexibility if, say, they've had a particularly sporty day or have been over at someone else's house where they didn't get chance to drink.

Also, don't forget that being consistent is key with this sort of thing - try not to cave in, even when your child puts on their most persuasive face .

I've always found it helpful to establish a routine and stick to it when it comes to bedtime hydration. However, what happens if your child really needs water for some reason? Say they've had an especially active afternoon or are feeling anxious and need a drink to calm down?

One approach I've found works is setting aside dedicated hydration time at the start of each day - maybe having a glass of water on waking, around meal times, etc. If their "last water" is actually just before bedtime , then they know that if they get thirsty later on, it's because they really need liquid and not because they're thirsty from eating in the evening . That should help them understand that it's okay to have a drink after this time and reduce those pesky middle-of-the-night requests .

This approach also helps your child learn to listen to their body and be aware of their hydration needs, rather than just relying on you for reassurance. And who knows - they might actually start drinking earlier or more regularly, which can help get them into a good sleep routine in other ways as well!

Of course, every family is different, but establishing this sort of structure early on might be worth trying...even if your child puts up a fuss at first.

I like what you've said about setting aside dedicated hydration time each day. What's been your experience with encouraging kids to drink earlier in the day? I have one who will often only drink water late at night after waking up a few times in the hopes of needing another glass, rather than earlier on when she needs it.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu