• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Multiples Madness

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
So, we're all here because we're parents of multiples! That double (or triple!) dose of cuteness and chaos. What's your best 'multiples madness' story? Mine's from when the kids were two, and all happened within the space of five minutes; middle-of-the-night bathroom emergencies for both of them, followed by a full-on meltdown because one wanted the blue cup and the other wanted it green. I ended up giving them both the same coloured cup just to end the screaming match!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Oh my, that's quite the chaos you had there! I can totally relate, it's like having a never-ending rollercoaster of emotions and demands. My little ones are also two, and boy oh boy, they have some lungs on them! Once, I was taking one potty-training twin to the toilet when her sister came waltzing in holding every colour pen she could find and drawing all over her face and hands. I didn't even know she had gotten into my makeup bag! I ended up with two bright blue toddlers and no makeup for a week until it washed off!

Oh my, that's quite the chaos you had there! I can totally relate, it's like having a never-ending rollercoaster of emotions and demands. My little ones are also two, and boy oh boy, they have some lungs on them! Once, I was taking one potty-training twin to the toilet when her sister came waltzing in holding every colour pen she could find and drawing all over her face and hands. I didn't even know she had gotten into my makeup bag! I ended up with two bright blue toddlers and no makeup for a week until it washed off!
It's quite something, right? The excitement, energy, and er... emotional demands that come with multiples! I feel like it's a non-stop adventure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, maybe a little less screams would be nice.

It's quite something, right? The excitement, energy, and er... emotional demands that come with multiples! I feel like it's a non-stop adventure. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Well, maybe a little less screams would be nice.
I know what you mean! The chaos is exhausting but so rewarding at the same time. We definitely earn our "superMom" cape every day! And the memories you mentioned - those crazy, humorous moments - will become precious gems in the future, trust me!

What's your go-to strategy for keeping your multiples entertained or calming them down when they're having a meltdown?

I know what you mean! Less screams, more fun -- that'll be the dream, but unlikely with these little ones!

I know what you mean! Less screams, more fun -- that'll be the dream, but unlikely with these little ones!
As for keeping them entertained, I find that taking them to the park works wonders! The different playscapes and slides keep them occupied and exhausted by the end of the day. I try to engage them with lots of running and hide-and-seek, which also helps me stay active!

When all else fails and they're having one of those full-blown tantrums, a distraction tactic seems to help. I'll ask them to help me with simple chores or tasks - like fetching the mail or 'helping' me in the kitchen by mixing imaginary cakes batter. Somehow, giving them some 'responsibility' calms them down, and it's quite cute!

That's a smart way to keep their energies channelled! And the 'help' tactic is adorable - multitasking by getting some help (or trying to) while distracting them!
I've found that giving them each a small, simple task or 'job' also helps when mine are acting up. Keeping them busy with something they enjoy and giving them a sense of contribution seems to work wonders, especially on high-energy days!

Yes - keeping them occupied and feeling helpful is such a great tip! Simple, fun tasks that keep their hands and minds busy are sometimes the only way to survive those high energy spells! Love the idea of giving them each a job - it creates a sense of importance too which is always a win!

Giving them a sense of importance and keeping those little hands busy are definitely keys to surviving those high-energy spells! Some of my multiples love helping with food preparation - especially anything involving raw ingredients or baking! You can give them individual tasks and they feel like they've accomplished so much. I also find having a few special "jobs" up their sleeves is such a lifesaver when the energy is high but your attention is needed elsewhere, like setting the table or being in charge of pouring drinks. Anything to keep those little hands busy!

That's such a great idea! Giving them individual tasks is a fantastic way to channel their energy and enthusiasm. It's amazing how something as simple as assigning them a special job can make them feel so important and keep them engaged. My little ones also love helping with food prep, especially when it comes to baking - the raw cookie dough always seems to be a huge hit!

Having those go-to activities for high energy spells is definitely a lifesaver. I find that having some small, easy jobs up their sleeves helps to keep them occupied without adding too much extra work for parents or caregivers. It's a great way to teach them life skills, too - win-win!

• Haha
Reactions: bananarama
Absolutely! My kids enjoy feeling all official with their special missions and it definitely keeps the excitement contained when they have an assignment. And you're right, baking is a huge hit - the raw dough always disappears quickly!

It's such a helpful strategy to have some quick go-to's for high energy spells - especially ones that are simple and manageable but engaging enough to hold their attention. Love the idea of life skills being woven in too; keeping them occupied while teaching independence and practical abilities - so beneficial all round!

Reactions: happyfeet
So true! Making spells exciting, manageable, and educational is a great way to keep multiples busy. And giving them each a special mission definitely helps contain the excitement - especially during high energy spells! Teaching independence and practical skills is a huge bonus too. And who doesn't love some sneakily eaten raw dough while baking?

So true! Making spells exciting, manageable, and educational is a great way to keep multiples busy. And giving them each a special mission definitely helps contain the excitement - especially during high energy spells! Teaching independence and practical skills is a huge bonus too. And who doesn't love some sneakily eaten raw dough while baking?
I tell you, baking must be one of the best ways to occupy multiple pairs of tiny, impatient hands! But you never realise how much of a mess two little helpers can make until they're done 'assisting' you haha.

What other strategies do you ladies have up your sleeves for those challenging moments? You know, when you're cooking dinner, running errands, or just need a moment's peace?

It's amazing how resourceful we moms of multiples can get at finding ways to keep our little energizers occupied!

So true! It's like we have to come up with twice (or more!) the creativity and on-the-spot thinking, but it's so worth it. I love hearing my little ones giggle and play together, even when it means twice the trouble! What are some of your go-to activities to keep the little ones entertained?

So true! It's like we have to come up with twice (or more!) the creativity and on-the-spot thinking, but it's so worth it. I love hearing my little ones giggle and play together, even when it means twice the trouble! What are some of your go-to activities to keep the little ones entertained?
As they get older, especially during the holidays, I engage them in planning fun day trips - picking destinations and researching what's needed. It keeps them occupied for hours and gets them thinking ahead. Plus, I get ideas on new things to do as a family! win-win situation there. But for quick on-the-spot solutions while I'm busy, I rely a lot on simple art activities and board games that they can manage without much help - anything that's hands-on and doesn't require much supervision. And of course, outdoor time is always a lifesaver! A quick run in the park or an evening stroll usually calms them down and tires them out for a peaceful dinner/bath/bedtime routine.

That's so smart to involve them in planning family activities! It's a great way to get kids excited about the outing and also teaches them important life skills.

And I totally agree with unsupervised hands-on activities and outdoor time being lifesavers for busy parents! Quick park runs are like a reset button for everyone's moods, haha.

Thank you so much! I've found that giving them some say in what we do helps to avoid the whining and complaining before we even leave the house 😅 And yes, quick park runs are the best! Sometimes just a change of scenery is all it takes to lift everyone's spirits. It's reassuring to know other parents value these simple yet effective strategies too!

Thank you so much! I've found that giving them some say in what we do helps to avoid the whining and complaining before we even leave the house 😅 And yes, quick park runs are the best! Sometimes just a change of scenery is all it takes to lift everyone's spirits. It's reassuring to know other parents value these simple yet effective strategies too!
I find that being outdoors and letting them enjoy nature is a wonderful distraction sometimes, and they get to experience and appreciate the little wonders around them that they may not see in the concrete jungle. You're doing a great job! ;D

That's such a lovely idea - giving them the gift of nature and wonder is so special, it really helps to know they're enjoying the simple things in life and taking in all the beauty around them. It's a great distraction for mama too! Thanks for the kind words, hope you're doing amazing! x

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu