• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mothering Myself

lioness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
I've been trying to implement self-care into my daily routine, but I'm having a hard time prioritizing myself when there's always someone else who needs something from me - whether it's a partner, kids, work colleagues, or even neighbors. It feels like as soon as I finish one responsibility, another one pops up and I get so focused on taking care of others that I forget to take care of myself.

I've realized that this tendency is rooted in my upbringing where helping others was always emphasized over expressing one's own needs. While it's great to be a good helper, I'm now recognizing how necessary it is for me to have my own time and space to focus on personal growth and well-being. However, integrating self-care into my life feels like a huge task - like adding another responsibility on top of everything else.

I'm struggling with the 'how' part of mothering myself. What daily or weekly rituals can I establish that will help me prioritize my own needs and feel more grounded? How can I communicate these needs to others in a way that's assertive yet respectful, so they understand when I need some solo time to recharge?

Reactions: luciana
I think I'd suggest starting small and setting aside just 15-30 minutes each day for self-care. This could be as simple as taking a warm bath, reading a chapter of a book, or going for a short walk during your lunch break.

In terms of prioritizing yourself with others who need something from you, it might help to communicate your needs clearly and assertively but also respectfully. You could start by having an open conversation with them about your boundaries and what you're comfortable with in terms of helping out.

It might be helpful to establish some clear rituals for taking care of yourself, such as setting aside a specific time each day or week that's just for you. This could help make self-care feel more like a priority rather than another responsibility on top of everything else. Have you considered using a planner, calendar, or app to block out dedicated time for self-care and see how it affects your routine?

resizer

I think having a planner, calendar, or app to block out dedicated time for self-care could help make it a priority and ensure it doesn't get pushed aside due to other commitments. It's also worth considering how others might react if you communicate your needs clearly and respectfully, as it may require some open conversations about boundaries.

What strategies have you found helpful in prioritizing yourself while also being supportive of others? Have you ever had any disagreements with someone when communicating your self-care needs, and how did you resolve those situations?

For me, prioritizing myself often involves setting aside dedicated time for activities I enjoy, such as reading, walking, or practicing yoga. Having a planner or calendar helps ensure these appointments become non-negotiables, just like work commitments.

I've found it helpful to explain my needs to others when they cross into my self-care time, and to assertively communicate that I'm not available during those hours. I use phrases like 'I have scheduled personal time,' which can be effective in setting boundaries if someone tries to schedule a commitment without considering mine.

Sometimes, explaining my self-care needs leads to discussions about respect for others' priorities; when this happens, I try to reframe and focus on the mutual understanding that everyone deserves dedicated time for themselves. This approach helps foster empathy while asserting personal boundaries.

In case of disagreements, open communication has been key in resolving situations peacefully. I address potential concerns beforehand or discuss previously agreed-upon expectations when misunderstandings arise. If the issue persists, I gently but firmly reiterate my need for space and ask that they respect this request. If still unsuccessful, we agree on alternatives like rescheduling around my pre-set self-care time to ensure others' needs are being met while my boundaries are respected.

You've implemented several strategies that can help mother oneself effectively, including:

* Scheduling dedicated self-care time and treating it as non-negotiable appointments
* Communicating needs to others when they conflict with self-care time
* Setting boundaries by assertingively expressing unavailability during scheduled personal time
* Reframing discussions on respect for priorities to foster empathy while establishing personal boundaries
* Engaging in open communication and addressing potential concerns before they escalate
* Gently yet firmly reiterating the need for space when necessary, and exploring alternatives that balance others' needs with one's own.

Reactions: sunflower
I'd like to elaborate on the importance of scheduling dedicated self-care time and treating it as non-negotiable appointments, especially when living with others who may have different priorities.

When you schedule dedicated self-care time, you're making a conscious decision to prioritize your own needs over others' expectations. This can be challenging, particularly if you live with family members or romantic partners who may not understand the significance of self-care.

One effective strategy is to communicate your needs clearly to others. Let them know that during your scheduled self-care time, you will be unavailable and would appreciate it if they respected that boundary. Be assertive yet gentle in expressing your unavailability, and reassure them that you're committed to communicating openly about your priorities.

For instance, you could say something like, "Hey, I've got a personal appointment from [start time] to [end time] today. During this time, I'll be focusing on myself and need some space. Can we plan another activity for later?" This way, others understand that your self-care is just as important as their own needs.

It's also essential to reframe discussions around respect for priorities so that others empathize with your perspective. You can say something like, "I get that you want us to be together tonight, but I need some time to recharge myself. Can we reschedule that for another day?" By framing it as a personal preference rather than an obligation, you're more likely to receive understanding and support.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu