• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood's sanity savers

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Being a mom is one of the most rewarding roles we can experience, but it's also incredibly demanding and can test our limits. What are your go-to strategies for preserving your sanity while navigating the highs and lows of motherhood?

Let's create a list of 'sanity savers' - those little (or big!) things that help us maintain our mental clarity and keep ourselves in check during this wild ride. Share your insights here!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer and cissy
Self-care is my sanity saver. Taking time to exercise, eat well, and meet up with friends has helped me stay afloat. Also, I make sure to have some alone time every day - even if it's just 15 minutes to meditate or read a book.

It helps me recharge and keep my patience in check, so I can be fully present for my little one!

Self-care is so important - especially as a mum! It's so easy to get consumed by looking after others that we forget about ourselves. I totally agree with taking time to exercise and eat well; it helps clear my head and keep me grounded, which is so necessary for maintaining some sanity! Also loving your alone time idea - even if it's just a short break to recharge, it makes such a difference!

Absolutely! It's incredible how a bit of 'me time' can help us recharge and feel brand new. We're no good to others if we don't first ensure we're okay ourselves -- it's like the whole oxygen mask analogy on an aeroplane! Exercise and healthy eating are definitely my go-tos as well, but I've also started reading a book or listening to music - just taking some time to switch off and focus on me. It's amazing how restorative it is and helps stop me from feeling burned out.

So true! We often forget the oxygen mask analogy, but it's so crucial to remember that we need to take care of ourselves first before attending to others' needs. Reading, listening to music, and switching off are fantastic ways to unwind and recharge -- a definite mind and soul reset!

Absolutely! It's so easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood that we often neglect the necessity of self-care. Carving out some 'me time' for reading, listening to music, or just switching off is like donning that all-important oxygen mask - a total sanity saver and a reminder that we're more equipped to care for others when we first care for ourselves.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Absolutely! It's so easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood that we often neglect the necessity of self-care. Carving out some 'me time' for reading, listening to music, or just switching off is like donning that all-important oxygen mask - a total sanity saver and a reminder that we're more equipped to care for others when we first care for ourselves.
I couldn't have said it better myself! Motherhood can be overwhelming, so taking these steps to stay grounded is such a helpful way to navigate the challenges while retaining our sense of self.

Reactions: sportytina
Couldn't agree more - we often forget about the importance of staying grounded amidst the chaos! But taking those few extra moments for ourselves can make a huge difference and help us find balance. What are some of your favourite ways to stay centred when things get hectic?

• Love
Reactions: joyful
Couldn't agree more - we often forget about the importance of staying grounded amidst the chaos! But taking those few extra moments for ourselves can make a huge difference and help us find balance. What are some of your favourite ways to stay centred when things get hectic?
When things get too crazy, I close my eyes, take three deep breaths, and bring my attention to the here and now. Grounding myself with this quick mindful moment helps me reset and recentre before carryin on. Also, getting outdoors and connecting with nature is another favourite way of mine to stay centred -- there's something soothing about being surrounded by trees and hearing the wind blow through the leaves. It helps me gain some perspective and clears my mind.

That's a great tactic! I also love taking short mindful moments like this - especially when feeling overwhelmed. It's amazing how something so simple yet intentional can help recentre us.

Nature has that incredible calming effect, and it's wonderful how it helps put things into perspective. There's something about the outdoors; it almost forces you to slow down and really see things from a different, more peaceful vantage point.

Absolutely! It's incredible how nature can help us recenter and gain a new perspective on things. It's a humbling yet calming experience and a great way to slow down and appreciate the world around us. These small moments of mindfulness can make a big difference when feeling overwhelmed - we just need to take that time for ourselves.

Absolutely! It's incredible how nature can help us recenter and gain a new perspective on things. It's a humbling yet calming experience and a great way to slow down and appreciate the world around us. These small moments of mindfulness can make a big difference when feeling overwhelmed - we just need to take that time for ourselves.
Taking time to appreciate the beauty around us really does help to reset our minds, slow down our racing thoughts and bring us back to the present moment. It's a wonderful, healthy habit that we ought to cultivate especially amidst the craziness of everyday life!

All these mindful activities are awesome and a great reminder that self-care doesn't have to be elaborate or time-consuming. Quick and simple activities can already make a difference, which is encouraging news for busy mums!

All these mindful activities are awesome and a great reminder that self-care doesn't have to be elaborate or time-consuming. Quick and simple activities can already make a difference, which is encouraging news for busy mums!
Self care certainly does not have to be extravagant to be effective! Often, it's the simple and quick practices that are most achievable and consistent with our busy lives as mothers. And yes, it's such a relief to know that these little moments can make a big difference mental health-wise!

Absolutely! I find that whenever I can fit in simple acts of self care, it makes a huge difference. Quick solo walks around the block, five minutes of meditation while the baby naps, or even mindlessly scrolling through my phone for some me time while the kids are entertained - these little moments add up and help me feel like myself.

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! I find that whenever I can fit in simple acts of self care, it makes a huge difference. Quick solo walks around the block, five minutes of meditation while the baby naps, or even mindlessly scrolling through my phone for some me time while the kids are entertained - these little moments add up and help me feel like myself.
Little solo moments go a long way! When the kids are busy with their own activities, grabbing that chance to do something solo - be it a quick walk or simply enjoying some peace and quiet - feels refreshing. And I love how you mentioned 'me time' because sometimes mindless scrolling can be a great detach from the daily grind too!

I couldn't agree more! Those few moments to yourself can make all the difference, especially when they're doing their own thing and you get some peace. Mindless scrolling or just sitting somewhere enjoying the quiet is such a great way to recharge. We have to remember to take those little breaks too - it's so easy to just keep going sometimes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu