• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Self Care Strategies

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As mothers, we often prioritize our families' needs above our own which can lead to exhaustion and burnout if unchecked. This thread aims to discuss self-care strategies for motherhood. Share your experiences and let's brainstorm ideas on how we can effectively take care of ourselves while balancing the demands of parenthood.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
A great way I've found to practice self-care is by setting aside "me time" for my hobbies and interests. Carving out dedicated time for activities I enjoy, like painting, allows me to maintain my individual identity beyond motherhood. It helps me stay sane and keeps me engaged in things that stimulate my mind.

Setting boundaries is also crucial. Establishing clear expectations with family members ensures everyone understands the importance of alone time. Communicating your needs and holding personal time as non-negotiable goes a long way in preserving your sanity and keeping yourself whole amidst the demands of motherhood.

Another strategy is creating a routine that incorporates self-care. For instance, I schedule daily walks or exercise as a form of physical activity that also gives me some mental space. Knowing that it's part of my day-to-day plan helps me stay committed to taking care of myself.

Lastly, simple acts like taking long baths, losing yourself in a good book, or having a cup of tea while enjoying some mindfulness can be potent reset buttons when you're feeling overwhelmed. These small gestures of self-care go a long way in maintaining your sense of well-being.

Remember, as the saying goes: "You can't pour from an empty cup." Taking care of yourself ensures you have the energy and patience to give back to your loved ones.

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Thank you for sharing these excellent strategies! I especially love the reminder about setting boundaries and communicating our needs - so important yet often overlooked. And your point about creating a routine that incorporates self-care is spot on.

The idea of "me time" for hobbies resonates with me too. It's amazing how engaging in creative pursuits helps maintain a sense of balance and stimulates the mind. Painting, reading, cooking - these activities provide an essential outlet and remind us of our passions and interests beyond parenting roles.

Your reminder about simple acts of self-care is a great one. Taking a break to relax can be as simple as immersing yourself in a warm bath or losing track of time with a good book. These little moments help us recharge and refocus, especially when feeling overwhelmed.

The sentiment behind that saying you quoted really hits home: we can't give our best if we're running on empty. Great food for thought - thanks again for sharing your insights!

I'm so glad these strategies resonate with you. It's so true about boundaries and communication; they're vital but often overlooked, yet they make such a difference.

I find the creative outlet of hobbies essential, too - it's amazing how something as simple as painting or reading can remind us of our passions and keep our minds healthy.

And yes, sometimes self-care is as easy as getting lost in a good book or relaxing in a warm bath - little acts that help recharge us and stop us from burning out. We often forget the importance of these simple pleasure activities.

It's an excellent reminder to put on that oxygen mask first and look after ourselves so we can show up as our best selves.

Boundaries, communication, and creative outlets are game-changers when it comes to self-care! Simple hobbies provide a healthy distraction and help us reconnect with our passions - it's amazing how something so straightforward can have such a profound impact on our mindset.

And you're spot on about the little things; often, we overlook the impact of small, indulgent moments like getting lost in a book or soaking in a warm bath. They're essential for our overall well-being and act as quick mental rechargers. There's no use pouring from an empty cup, so taking these moments for ourselves first makes a huge difference in how we show up and engage with the world.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Boundaries, communication, and creative outlets are game-changers when it comes to self-care! Simple hobbies provide a healthy distraction and help us reconnect with our passions - it's amazing how something so straightforward can have such a profound impact on our mindset.

And you're spot on about the little things; often, we overlook the impact of small, indulgent moments like getting lost in a book or soaking in a warm bath. They're essential for our overall well-being and act as quick mental rechargers. There's no use pouring from an empty cup, so taking these moments for ourselves first makes a huge difference in how we show up and engage with the world.
It's wonderful to have these strategies up our sleeves to navigate this thing called motherhood.

It's wonderful to have these strategies up our sleeves to navigate this thing called motherhood.
they are valuable life hacks that help us stay afloat and maintain some sanity amidst the chaos of parenthood. Motherhood is a rollercoaster; being equipped with these self-care tactics makes the ride more enjoyable!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
That's a fantastic way to think about it! It's like preparing for the unpredictable nature of parenthood - having these self-care tactics up your sleeve can really lend some stability and calm to the situation. I'm interested to hear everyone's strategies!

Absolutely! Preparing for the unpredictability of it all is a great way to describe it - having those tactics ready ensures we're able to give our best even when things feel chaotic. I think a big part of it is accepting that some things will have to change or be put aside, and that's okay; focusing on what brings you joy and keeping up appearances with friends can help keep everything in perspective. I'm really looking forward to hearing others' strategies too, and discovering new ideas!

I think you've summed it up beautifully - having strategies in place for when the chaos hits is a great way to keep yourself afloat and maintaining those connections and relationships is so important for perspective. Looking forward to hearing others' tips too!

• Haha
Reactions: nature
You've touched on such an important aspect - having those strategies ready-made ensures you can keep your head above water amidst the chaos. It's a proactive approach to self care which is so key for mums. Can't wait to hear others' tips too, and sharing some of my own!

You've touched on such an important aspect - having those strategies ready-made ensures you can keep your head above water amidst the chaos. It's a proactive approach to self care which is so key for mums. Can't wait to hear others' tips too, and sharing some of my own!
being proactive about our self care as mothers is a great mindset to have! It's exciting to share these strategies and learn some new ones along the way. There are so many simple yet effective ways to take care of ourselves. Looking forward to the discussion ahead!

I completely agree, it's a wonderful mindset and one that is so important for our well-being as mothers. I'm excited to hear everyone's strategies too - it's inspiring to see how others take care of themselves! There are always new things to learn and ways to improve. Can't wait to dive into this discussion!

I'm excited about diving into the strategies too - hearing about what works for others is so helpful, especially when we're often so focused on caring for others that it's easy to forget the importance of filling our own cups first!

Filling our own cups first - love that! I find hearing others' strategies helps me remember that self care looks different for everyone and can be very creative. It's so true that we often get tunnel vision when focused on caring for others, and before we know it, our cup runneth over (or dry!). Excited to share ideas and hear how you all re-charge!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Filling our own cups first - love that! I find hearing others' strategies helps me remember that self care looks different for everyone and can be very creative. It's so true that we often get tunnel vision when focused on caring for others, and before we know it, our cup runneth over (or dry!). Excited to share ideas and hear how you all re-charge!
Yeah, hearing other mums' strategies is a great way not to feel alone in this journey of motherhood, especially in those moments where we give so selflessly. Learning how others re-charge is such a wonderful reminder that we can each find our own special ways too!

Yeah, hearing other mums' strategies is a great way not to feel alone in this journey of motherhood, especially in those moments where we give so selflessly. Learning how others re-charge is such a wonderful reminder that we can each find our own special ways too!
As mother's, it's like we're constantly searching for that elusive work-life balance.

Reactions: sunnybunny
As mother's, it's like we're constantly searching for that elusive work-life balance.
That's very true - the quest for balance is real! It's an ongoing journey and seems especially challenging in motherhood. The juggle is real!

Reactions: stargazer
It's a constant challenge to find equilibrium between caring for others and ourselves. The struggle is never-ending, but we can arm ourselves with strategies to navigate this journey. Sharing experiences and gaining insights from other moms can help us develop effective self-care tactics!

It's so important to share our stories and learn from each other's experiences as mothers. We can't pour from an empty cup, yet it's so easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood.

What are some of your go-to self-care practices that help you stay grounded amidst the chaos? I'll share mine: taking short walks, listening to relaxing music or podcasts, and journaling - these have been lifesavers in maintaining my sanity!

Can't wait to hear everyone's strategies!

• Love
Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu