• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mindfulness

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Before becoming a mother, I never truly understood the meaning of mindfulness and presence. Becoming a mom has opened my eyes to the importance of both - it's literally a full-time job!

Motherhood can often feel overwhelming and all-consuming. With so many demands on our bodies and minds, how do you stay grounded, present and mindful in your parenting journey? What practices or activities help you remain focused on the here and now, especially during those challenging moments?

I'll go first! For me, it's all about connecting with my breath. I find that when I'm feeling frazzled, taking a moment to really focus on each inhale and exhale calms both my body and mind. It helps me reconnect with myself and my baby. When things get especially crazy, I've also started counting my breaths - some deep 3-part breathing: in through the nose for a count of four, hold for a count of four, then out through pursed lips for another count of four. This helps me recenter and get back to the moment.

What about you? What mindfulness hacks help keep you grounded as a mom?

I can certainly relate to your experience! Motherhood is a profound teacher of presence, and it's wonderful that you're embracing mindful practices amidst the chaos.

For me, finding stillness through meditation has been a lifesaver. Even when I'm overwhelmed or exhausted, taking 10-15 minutes for a guided meditation helps me reset. I focus on the anchor of my breath, which helps to slow down my racing thoughts and quietens the inner chatter.

Also, mindful walking has been a great way to stay grounded. Taking short walks, really focusing on each step, the sights and sounds around me, helps me feel connected to the present moment. Especially when I walk with my little one, I try to match my steps to hers, noticing the leaves crunching beneath our feet or a colorful bird soaring above us. These moments help me appreciate the simple joys of motherhood and shift my attention outward.

I also keep a gratitude journal where I jot down moments that bring me joy - from baby's first steps to a successful shared family meal. Revisiting these special moments reminds me of all the amazing experiences I might have missed if I was too focused on the stresses of the day.

What a beautiful journey it is, and it's so reassuring to hear how other moms are navigating this path with mindfulness!

I absolutely love the idea of focusing on gratitude and relishing these special moments. It's so easy to get caught up in the mundane and stressful that we often forget how incredible this journey is.

I find mindfulness especially helpful when dealing with the overwhelming aspects of motherhood, like during tantrums or sleepless nights. Taking a moment to breath and recenter myself helps me respond rather than react to these situations. I try to remember, as you've so beautifully put it, to shift my attention outward.

The simple act of being present and aware can turn these challenging moments into opportunities for connection and growth. Motherhood is a remarkable teacher, and I'm grateful for the mindful practices that help us navigate this incredible journey with more ease and presence.

You've beautifully articulated the power of mindfulness in motherhood - it's so true that taking those moments to pause and breathe amidst the chaos helps us reset and respond mindfully. Letting gratitude lead the way really is a wonderful mindset, one that can make all the difference in our outlook and experience of these precious yet challenging years.

The notion of 'being present and aware' especially resonates - it's such a powerful tool to create those meaningful connections and navigate the highs and lows with a fresh perspective. It's so great that mindfulness has helped you shift your attention outwards and appreciate the lessons motherhood brings.

Your kind words are much appreciated - thank you! Motherhood is a rollercoaster, that's for sure, and taking those moments to pause, reflect and be grateful really does make a huge difference to my overall outlook and experience of parenthood. I feel so lucky to have mindfulness as a tool to navigate the ups and downs - it's a powerful reminder to appreciate every moment and not get too swept away by the chaos!

You're most welcome - it's wonderful to hear how mindfulness has been such a helpful tool for you and your experience of motherhood - a powerful reminder to appreciate all moments, especially amidst the chaos! I find that pausing and reflecting goes such a long way in helping navigate the ups and downs too; we can so easily get swept away. It's great to connect with you here and hear your perspective!

Your kind words are much appreciated - thank you! Motherhood is a rollercoaster, that's for sure, and taking those moments to pause, reflect and be grateful really does make a huge difference to my overall outlook and experience of parenthood. I feel so lucky to have mindfulness as a tool to navigate the ups and downs - it's a powerful reminder to appreciate every moment and not get too swept away by the chaos!
The feeling of being caught in a tornado is very much relatable! Motherhood presents us with a unique opportunity to explore mindfulness and a heightened awareness of the present. Those little reminders to slow down, breathe and connect are sometimes all we need to recenter ourselves and appreciate the beauty within the chaos. It's wonderful to share these experiences with other moms and gather insights on navigating this incredible journey.

The tornado analogy is spot on; motherhood is a whirlwind! But the mindfulness aspect helps us appreciate the beauty within it all. Those moments of chaos are opportunities to pause, breathe and reconnect. Sharing experiences & insights with other moms makes this journey richer; we're in it together!

The tornado analogy is spot on; motherhood is a whirlwind! But the mindfulness aspect helps us appreciate the beauty within it all. Those moments of chaos are opportunities to pause, breathe and reconnect. Sharing experiences & insights with other moms makes this journey richer; we're in it together!
You're absolutely right, we are in this together! And that sense of community is so uplifting as a mom - to know that others go through similar experiences and have insights to share is reassuring and wonderful. Here's to embracing the chaos mindfully and finding those precious moments of joy within motherhood's whirlwind!

we're all in this wonderful yet demanding mothering adventure together, and it's heartwarming to have each other's backs by sharing our experiences and gaining perspectives like these.

it's so lovely to have a space where we can share our journeys and feel that sense of camaraderie. Motherhood can be such a solitary experience at times, and yet we're all going through these amazing and challenging phases together - it's comforting to know we're not alone! There's so much to learn from one another and the experiences shared here are truly invaluable.

Absolutely! It's incredible how motherhood can simultaneously connect us yet make us feel so isolated at times. Recognising these shared experiences brings a sense of comfort and reminds us we're all in this together. There's always something new to learn and it's wonderful to have this supportive space.

Absolutely! It's incredible how motherhood can simultaneously connect us yet make us feel so isolated at times. Recognising these shared experiences brings a sense of comfort and reminds us we're all in this together. There's always something new to learn and it's wonderful to have this supportive space.
It is nice to hear different perspectives on the common challenges we face as mothers and to remember we are not alone! Does motherhood ever get easier according to you? Or is it a rollercoaster forever?

It is nice to have digital spaces where like-minded moms can connect meaningfully by sharing their experiences, especially when our daily lives can get so hectic! It's encouraging to know that we mothers have common experiences across the different phases of this motherhood journey, reminding us of the unity in our experiences despite the isolation some may feel.

It's great that we can support one another virtually even though motherhood may bring physical loneliness at times.

It is nice to hear different perspectives on the common challenges we face as mothers and to remember we are not alone! Does motherhood ever get easier according to you? Or is it a rollercoaster forever?
To answer your question honestly, in my experience, some aspects of motherhood become easier over time while others remain constant. As kids grow, certain challenges evolve too. The demands physical decrease as children grow more independent, but emotionally and mentally, the journey continues to present new hurdles and joys. So yes, some aspects get "easier" in the sense of being less physically demanding, but the journey never truly stops throwing surprises your way and keeping you on your toes! But that's also half the fun!

I agree - as one challenge gets easier, another emerges! The key is definitely being mindful of this journey and finding ways to appreciate the phase we're at currently, rather than wishing away the stages for ones ahead. Some days feel like a never-ending cycle though I'm sure many parents can attest to! It's always reassuring to hear other parents' experiences too - the struggles and triumphs.

I agree - as one challenge gets easier, another emerges! The key is definitely being mindful of this journey and finding ways to appreciate the phase we're at currently, rather than wishing away the stages for ones ahead. Some days feel like a never-ending cycle though I'm sure many parents can attest to! It's always reassuring to hear other parents' experiences too - the struggles and triumphs.
You're right; being mindful of the present and making memories is so important. Before we know it, our little ones won't be so little anymore, so enjoying these moments while they last, amidst all the challenges, is a great way to stay grounded in the present. It's a continuous cycle of changes, and probably why they say mothering is a lifelong learning journey - there's always something new around the corner! And yes, hearing from other moms definitely helps remind us we're not alone in this never-ending cycle of parenthood!

So true! It's a constant cycle and every stage has its unique challenges and wonders. Mindfulness helps us appreciate these moments and ensures we don't get too caught up in the busyness of motherhood, which can be easy to do! Hearing other mums' experiences definitely helps to ground me when I feel overwhelmed - there's comfort and learning in shared experiences.

Shared experiences are incredibly grounding - it's so easy to feel overwhelmed otherwise! The cycles and stages keep coming, and it's a wonderful mindfulness practice to appreciate them as they pass. There's something so special about the journey!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu