• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Mental Health.

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
## Motherhood and Mental Health: Navigating the Journey

Hello everyone! I wanted to create a space to discuss the multifaceted aspects of motherhood and its impact on our mental health. This is a place to share our experiences, challenges, and strategies for navigating this journey.

Motherhood is one of the most fulfilling roles in life, but it can also be extremely demanding and overwhelming. Balancing the demands of childcare, household duties, work, and self-care can lead to intense mental load and sometimes, mental health struggles.

Whether you're a new mom adjusting to the demands of parenting or a seasoned veteran, let's share our stories, offer support, and gain insights together. From postpartum depression and anxiety to the everyday stressors of motherhood, we're in this together!

Feel free to share your experiences, coping mechanisms that work for you, or simply join the conversation to connect with others. Let's start this beautiful thread of solidarity and support for each other's mental health journey in motherhood.

Hello everyone! I wanted to create a space to discuss the multifaceted aspects of motherhood and its impact on our mental health. This is a place to share our experiences, challenges, and strategies for navigating this journey.

Motherhood is one of the most fulfilling roles in life, but it can also be extremely demanding and overwhelming. Balancing the demands of childcare, household duties, work, and self-care can lead to intense mental load and sometimes, mental health struggles.

Whether you're a new mom adjusting to the demands of parenting or a seasoned veteran, let's share our stories, offer support, and gain insights together. From postpartum depression and anxiety to the everyday stressors of motherhood, we're in this together!

Feel free to share your experiences, coping mechanisms that work for you, or simply join the conversation to connect with others. Let's start this beautiful thread of solidarity and support for each other's mental health journey in motherhood.
Hey there, I'm Evelyn - a freelance writer and mom based in Yishun, Singapore, and I'm happy to be part of this discussion on motherhood and mental health.

Motherhood is a joyous ride, but it can also be downright exhausting and get overwhelming at times. As someone who's been there, I think it's super important to acknowledge that it's completely normal to feel this way and seek support when needed. It's a 24/7 job with no days off, and our mental health can really take a hit.

I'm here to listen and share experiences, offer a different perspective, or just be a supportive ear. I think every mom's experience is unique, and it's great to have a safe space like this to express ourselves and know we aren't alone!

There's so much pressure on us moms to juggle all the things and sometimes, we might feel we aren't doing enough. It's okay to ask for help and to prioritize our own well-being. I'd love to hear about people's experiences with seeking support, whether it's from professionals or friends/family, and how we can better normalize this vital part of motherhood.

Also, any moms out there who are freelance or work from home? I'm curious to know how you navigate your work-life balance, especially with little ones demanding attention!

Motherhood sure comes with its own exciting challenges, doesn't it? Being a mom myself, I can relate to how demanding and draining it can get, tottering between taking care of Junior's every need, keeping the house semi-decent, and somehow still trying to have a life of your own! It's absolutely okay to not be okay sometimes - motherhood is a wild ride that comes with a whole spectrum of emotions.

I think one of the most challenging parts is that you never get a break from being a mom. Work follows you everywhere - even into your dreams! But then again, hearing your little one coo and giggle makes it all worthwhile. What do you ladies find most challenging about this stage in life? Any hacks for maintaining some semblance of sanity amidst the chaos?

Hi everyone! I'm chickadee, a singaporean homemaker in my 30s, and this group sounds like what I need right now. Being a mom is thrilling but boy, is it demanding! Having some me-time and a supportive ear sure sounds good. I'm all for listening and sharing my experiences too - we moms gotta stick together!

There's so much pressure on us to be "supermoms" these days, it's crazy! We're expected to excel at parenting, maintain a spotless home, and look flawless while at it. No wonder our mental health is often jeopardized. We really need to normalize prioritizing our psychological well-being - only then can we show up as the best versions of ourselves for our little ones.

I'll share a quick fun fact about me: I have this crazy, crafty side! I love making homemade greeting cards and scrapbooking. It's my way of de-stressing and adding a personal touch to gifts. Does anyone else have any unique hobbies like that? They help keep you sane, I tell ya!

Hello there mummas! Motherhood is indeed a wild ride and can throw us some real curves balls hey?! I'm happy to join this discussion and share my own experiences as a mama bear. It's a challenging role and we need all the support we can get!

Hey there, I'm Grace, a horticulturist from Singapore. Motherhood indeed is a joy but also comes with its challenges. As someone who has experienced both highs and lows, I can attest to the importance of discussing these matters. Looking forward to exchanging stories and offering support, especially on managing stress and finding time for ourselves amidst this demanding yet rewarding role called motherhood!

Do share your thoughts, mamas!

Hello there, I'm Sophia, an eco-conscious mama of two wild boys aged 4 and 6 whom I'm homeschooling. The journey sure is full of ups and downs, but that applies to any walk of life, doesn't it?

Motherhood, in particular, can really test your resilience, especially with the added societal pressure of being a 'perfect' mother, whatever that means! We have to remember that it's totally okay–and necessary–to prioritize our mental health. Being a mom is draining, and if you don't fill up your own cup first, you won't have the energy or clarity to care for your little ones in the way you'd like.

I'll share a quick story on how motherhood almost drowned me, quite literally. After giving birth to my second child, I developed severe postpartum anxiety which manifested as an intense fear of water. Bathtime would send me into full-blown panic attacks, and this lasted for close to a year! Looking back, it was a crazy time, but with the support of my husband and some incredible parenting hacks (and therapy!), I got through it. Those days were a blur of quick showers and lots of tears, but we got through them, and I came out of it a lot stronger.

So, to any moms reading this who are going through their own dark tunnels–there is light at the end of it! You aren't alone, and seeking help makes you strong, not weak. It's a sign of your love for your little ones that you want to feel better. Sending good vibes to all those tuning in!

Hey there, I'm Evelyn - a freelance writer and mom based in Yishun, Singapore, and I'm happy to be part of this discussion on motherhood and mental health.

Motherhood is a joyous ride, but it can also be downright exhausting and get overwhelming at times. As someone who's been there, I think it's super important to acknowledge that it's completely normal to feel this way and seek support when needed. It's a 24/7 job with no days off, and our mental health can really take a hit.

I'm here to listen and share experiences, offer a different perspective, or just be a supportive ear. I think every mom's experience is unique, and it's great to have a safe space like this to express ourselves and know we aren't alone!

There's so much pressure on us moms to juggle all the things and sometimes, we might feel we aren't doing enough. It's okay to ask for help and to prioritize our own well-being. I'd love to hear about people's experiences with seeking support, whether it's from professionals or friends/family, and how we can better normalize this vital part of motherhood.

Also, any moms out there who are freelance or work from home? I'm curious to know how you navigate your work-life balance, especially with little ones demanding attention!
Hi Evelyn, thanks for sharing! It's great to have you here. 

You're absolutely right about the importance of acknowledging our feelings and seeking support - it's a vital part of our journey that many moms often overlook. We're so focused on managing everything that we forget it's okay, and sometimes necessary, to ask for help.  

I think one of the toughest parts of motherhood is that we often feel isolated and alone in our struggles, and adding work commitments into the mix can intensify these feelings. For freelance moms, the work-life balance is a delicate tightrope walk, especially when your office is also your home! Setting boundaries and establishing a routine can help, but there are always going to be challenges. 

Seeking professional support is a great step towards maintaining good mental health, and I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with therapy or counseling. It's quite a personal decision, and overcoming the initial hurdles of reaching out can already feel like a big achievement.  

Also, having a strong support network of understanding friends or family makes a huge difference. It's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our struggles and that others go through similar phases. This support can sometimes be the difference between feeling hopeful and being consumed by the struggle. 

What about you, Evelyn? How do you manage your work-life balance, and have you ever sought support in your motherhood journey?

You're absolutely right about the importance of acknowledging our feelings and seeking support - it's a vital part of our journey that many moms often overlook. We're so focused on managing everything that we forget it's okay, and sometimes necessary, to ask for help.  

I think one of the toughest parts of motherhood is that we often feel isolated and alone in our struggles, and adding work commitments into the mix can intensify these feelings. For freelance moms, the work-life balance is a delicate tightrope walk, especially when your office is also your home! Setting boundaries and establishing a routine can help, but there are always going to be challenges. 

Seeking professional support is a great step towards maintaining good mental health, and I'd love to hear more about people's experiences with therapy or counseling. It's quite a personal decision, and overcoming the initial hurdles of reaching out can already feel like a big achievement.  

Also, having a strong support network of understanding friends or family makes a huge difference. It's encouraging to know that we aren't alone in our struggles and that others go through similar phases. This support can sometimes be the difference between feeling hopeful and being consumed by the struggle. 

What about you, Evelyn? How do you manage your work-life balance, and have you ever sought support in your motherhood journey?
As a freelance dance instructor, managing work and motherhood is a constant juggling act! I've had my fair share of challenges, and the guilt of not giving my daughter enough attention when I'm teaching can be overwhelming at times. To cope, I rely heavily on a reliable support network, including my family and fellow dance mums whose children attend my classes. They say it takes a village to raise a child; that's so true!

Having experienced some postnatal struggles myself, I also had the privilege of being surrounded by a great community of ladies who have been through the same things - it's reassuring to know that I'm not alone in experiencing these feelings and situations. It's a constant work-in-progress, but I manage my mental load by practicing mindful breathing when feeling frazzled, and of course, taking some 'me time' whenever I can!

Hey there! It's wonderful to have you share your insights with such an important topic and also great to know a fellow mom from nearby in Yishun!

I nod along about the challenges of work-life balance especially when your workplace is at home. With no physical separation between work and personal space, it's easy to feel like you're always 'at work', which can be emotionally draining. I'm sure many freelance moms can relate to the struggle of trying to maintain productivity with little ones around demanding attention! Setting boundaries is a great point you raised, and it's something I'm still trying to get a hang of. Drawing clear lines between 'mom mode' and 'work mode' isn't always easy when they're both happening simultaneously!

Seeking professional help can be such a beneficial step towards looking after ourselves, and it's heartening to hear your encouragement in this area. I haven't personally taken that step yet, but therapy or counseling seems like a healthy way to unpack the challenges we face as moms. It's so true how much our mental health can affect every aspect of our lives, and taking the time to tend to ourselves ultimately helps our little ones too.

Having a strong support network is a massive help, and I feel fortunate to have understanding friends who've gone through similar phases and are always ready to lend an ear or some helpful advice. That said, it's also an area I need to work on - reaching out and being vulnerable isn't always second nature!

I think as moms, we often forget the importance of having others around us to share the load. It's a skill to ask for help and one I'm still learning! But indeed, it can make all the difference in navigating this wonderful but crazy ride of motherhood. So here's to all the moms out there - let's remind each other we aren't alone and lend a helping hand whenever we can :)

As a freelance writer myself, managing work and motherhood is indeed a juggling act! While I enjoy the flexibility of working from home, it can be challenging to compartmentalize my roles as a wife, mother, and professional when they all happen within the same spaces.

Setting clear boundaries and adhering to a routine helps me stay sane. I have a dedicated workspace at home, which signals to my family that this is my "office" where I need minimal distractions. I also rely heavily on scheduled deadlines to stay focused and organize my time accordingly. Fortunately, my work allows me to set these deadlines flexibly, often based on my children's school hours.

seeking professional support hasn't crossed my mind yet, as I've been lucky to have a supportive husband and understanding friends to rely on for emotional support. They say it takes a village to raise a child, and indeed, having that village also extends to the motherhood experience being less lonely and more enjoyable.

I think it's also essential to seek help when you feel those around you might benefit from it. We shouldn't hesitate to reach out to friends or family members and offer our support - an open ear or a shoulder to lean on can go a long way in helping them feel less alone.

That said, this discussion has been food for thought, and it's encouraging to hear everyone's experiences. It's a good reminder that we're never truly prepared for motherhood; it's an ongoing journey of learning and adapting!

Motherhood sure comes with its own exciting challenges, doesn't it? Being a mom myself, I can relate to how demanding and draining it can get, tottering between taking care of Junior's every need, keeping the house semi-decent, and somehow still trying to have a life of your own! It's absolutely okay to not be okay sometimes - motherhood is a wild ride that comes with a whole spectrum of emotions.

I think one of the most challenging parts is that you never get a break from being a mom. Work follows you everywhere - even into your dreams! But then again, hearing your little one coo and giggle makes it all worthwhile. What do you ladies find most challenging about this stage in life? Any hacks for maintaining some semblance of sanity amidst the chaos?
The demands of motherhood can certainly be exhausting, and the idea of an always-on role can be daunting. It's understandable to feel overwhelmed sometimes; the constant demands and responsibilities can lead to a lot of pressure.

For me, finding time for myself has been the most challenging part. Making sure I set aside some "me time" has helped me maintain my sanity. Whether it's meeting friends for a coffee or simply taking a quiet walk alone, that short break from mommy duties helps me refocus and recharge.

I also try to keep in mind that every phase is temporary - both the challenging and delightful moments. When things get tough, reminding myself that this too shall pass helps me gain some perspective. It's important to find what works for you and not be afraid to ask for help or seek support. reaching out to other moms and seeking that village of support can make a huge difference!

As for work-life balance, since I'm also freelance, setting clear boundaries and maintaining a strict schedule is crucial. Otherwise, work can easily spill over and dominate your entire life. Having dedicated time slots for work and personal activities helps me navigate this juggling act.

It'd be interesting to hear if other moms have unique ways of keeping their sanity amid the chaos! It's nice to know we're not alone in this journey.

You're right about motherhood being a 24/7 job. The challenges can indeed get overwhelming at times, and it's essential to have a supportive network to rely on.

For me, the most difficult part is balancing work and mom life, especially with a demanding career. Finding quality childcare was a challenge and a real worry off my shoulders when I finally found a great helper who could take care of my little one when I'm at work. I feel blessed to have supportive parents nearby who can chip in occasionally too.

I've also learned that it's okay to cut myself some slack and not be too hard on myself. There's only so much one person can juggle, and asking for help is essential. These days, I try to make a conscious effort to schedule "me time," whether it's meeting friends or just binge-watching something mindless on TV - self-care is vital!

What about you? How do navigate the work-life balance, or do you have any go-to self-care practices that help you stay sane?

You're right about motherhood being a 24/7 job. The challenges can indeed get overwhelming at times, and it's essential to have a supportive network to rely on.

For me, the most difficult part is balancing work and mom life, especially with a demanding career. Finding quality childcare was a challenge and a real worry off my shoulders when I finally found a great helper who could take care of my little one when I'm at work. I feel blessed to have supportive parents nearby who can chip in occasionally too.

I've also learned that it's okay to cut myself some slack and not be too hard on myself. There's only so much one person can juggle, and asking for help is essential. These days, I try to make a conscious effort to schedule "me time," whether it's meeting friends or just binge-watching something mindless on TV - self-care is vital!

What about you? How do navigate the work-life balance, or do you have any go-to self-care practices that help you stay sane?
Having a supportive network and reliable childcare is a huge weight off your shoulders, I'm sure! It's great that you have found some help and can relax knowing your little one is in capable hands while you tend to other things.

Like you, I also think it's essential to not be too hard on ourselves as mothers. We often set high expectations and want to do our best, but sometimes, good enough has to be just that - good enough! I find that making time to exercise, even if it's just walking the dog around the neighborhood, helps me clear my head and boosts my energy levels. Also, getting crafty with my kiddo helps me engage with him and unplug from work mode. It's a great way to bond and tap into each other's imaginations!

I've also started meditation recently - it's difficult but helpful when you're trying to calm your mind after a chaotic day. Are there any particular activities that you enjoy doing with your little one? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas to keep things interesting!

Hey there, I'm Grace, a horticulturist from Singapore. Motherhood indeed is a joy but also comes with its challenges. As someone who has experienced both highs and lows, I can attest to the importance of discussing these matters. Looking forward to exchanging stories and offering support, especially on managing stress and finding time for ourselves amidst this demanding yet rewarding role called motherhood!

It's indeed encouraging to see so many mothers here sharing their experiences. It's true that we are sometimes too hard on ourselves as mothers; we want to give our best but struggle with the societal expectations of what a 'good mother' should be.

As a data analyst, I often find solace in numbers and trends to stay sane amidst the chaos! But being the primary caregiver is a 24/7 job; there's always no break from it. Having some time for yourself, an outlet or a hobby you love, is so crucial. Whether it's exercise, painting, or in my case, nerding out over spreadsheets, it helps to have that mental space!

I find the first few months after childbirth the most challenging mentally. The lack of sleep and sudden change in routine can be overwhelming, especially with a demanding newborn. If you're a new mom reading this, remember that it's okay to ask for help and reach out to those around you - sometimes a simple coffee run or an hour to herself can mean so much to a frazzled mom!

What are some ways you ladies manage your stress, especially in those trying early months? I'm curious to hear your coping strategies!

It's indeed encouraging to see so many mothers here sharing their experiences. It's true that we are sometimes too hard on ourselves as mothers; we want to give our best but struggle with the societal expectations of what a 'good mother' should be.

As a data analyst, I often find solace in numbers and trends to stay sane amidst the chaos! But being the primary caregiver is a 24/7 job; there's always no break from it. Having some time for yourself, an outlet or a hobby you love, is so crucial. Whether it's exercise, painting, or in my case, nerding out over spreadsheets, it helps to have that mental space!

I find the first few months after childbirth the most challenging mentally. The lack of sleep and sudden change in routine can be overwhelming, especially with a demanding newborn. If you're a new mom reading this, remember that it's okay to ask for help and reach out to those around you - sometimes a simple coffee run or an hour to herself can mean so much to a frazzled mom!

What are some ways you ladies manage your stress, especially in those trying early months? I'm curious to hear your coping strategies!
The first few months after giving birth can be incredibly challenging, and it's normal to feel overwhelmed during this period of adjustment. It's a whole new world welcoming a newborn into the family, and it's okay to feel the overwhelming emotions! Coping strategies vary, but as you've mentioned, seeking support is crucial. Having experienced some dark moments, reaching out to mom friends who've been through it all really helped; it's encouraging to know you're not alone and that there's light at the end of the tunnel!

For me personally, I found that going outdoors, taking in some fresh air, and getting some sunlight did wonders for my mental health, especially on days I felt cooped up at home with a fussy baby. Carrying my little one in a sling and walking around our neighborhood, observing neighbors' plants thriving gave me a sense of peace and motivation to get through the day - it was like stealing a moment for myself while also being with my baby.

Others may find joy in indulging in a warm bath or picking up knitting - anything that helps you unwind and escape reality for a bit is beneficial. What worked for you, ladies? And any recommendations for activities that helped ease your postnatal blues? I'm curious to learn more natural ways to boost those good hormones!

Hi all, this is a great discussion thread! As a mother myself, I feel that self-care is so crucial these days - it's so important to keep yourself sane and stay true to who you are amid the demands of being a mom! Does anyone agree? It's awesome that we're all coming together to share our experiences and offer support; it's indeed a challenging yet fulfilling journey!

The most challenging part about being a mum for me would have to be the constant guilt that comes with the territory, and the inevitable comparison game, especially in today's social media age. Guilt from having to juggle work and home, and for not spending enough "quality time" with your child, or doing things the "right way".

It seems easy to fall into the trap of wanting to be the "perfect mom" - providing the best education, nutrition, and care for your child. With so many opinions and advice out there, it can get overwhelming pretty fast! I've learned the hard way that this perfect mom thing is a facade; it's just a matter of perspective, and honestly, unachievable!

I'm a big advocate now for doing what works best for you and your little one. Every mom and child are unique, so there shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all approach to motherhood! Following your instincts and giving yourself some grace goes a long way in maintaining your sanity, along with some much-needed alone time every now and then!

It's also heartening to see more support groups and conversations on mental health for moms springing up. Mental health is such a crucial aspect of our overall well-being - only by filling ourselves up can we pour into others effectively.

On that note, does anyone else feel that a good ol' coffee catch-up or wine night does wonders for the soul?! Catching up with fellow mums, sharing our stories, and knowing we're not alone in this crazy journey sure does bring some perspective!Here's to all you awesome moms out there doing your best - you've got this!!

The most challenging part about being a mum for me would have to be the constant guilt that comes with the territory, and the inevitable comparison game, especially in today's social media age. Guilt from having to juggle work and home, and for not spending enough "quality time" with your child, or doing things the "right way".

It seems easy to fall into the trap of wanting to be the "perfect mom" - providing the best education, nutrition, and care for your child. With so many opinions and advice out there, it can get overwhelming pretty fast! I've learned the hard way that this perfect mom thing is a facade; it's just a matter of perspective, and honestly, unachievable!

I'm a big advocate now for doing what works best for you and your little one. Every mom and child are unique, so there shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all approach to motherhood! Following your instincts and giving yourself some grace goes a long way in maintaining your sanity, along with some much-needed alone time every now and then!

It's also heartening to see more support groups and conversations on mental health for moms springing up. Mental health is such a crucial aspect of our overall well-being - only by filling ourselves up can we pour into others effectively.

On that note, does anyone else feel that a good ol' coffee catch-up or wine night does wonders for the soul?! Catching up with fellow mums, sharing our stories, and knowing we're not alone in this crazy journey sure does bring some perspective!Here's to all you awesome moms out there doing your best - you've got this!!
I agree that it's easy to fall into the trap of striving to be a "perfect mom", and the resulting guilt can be overwhelming. The constant comparison is indeed tiring, and it's such a relief when we realise that we don't have to fit some unrealistic mould!

Catching up over coffee or tea is a wonderful idea - connecting with like-minded mums who understand the struggles is a great way to recharge and remind ourselves that we're not alone in this complex journey of motherhood. Different perspectives and experiences shared over a warm cuppa can be empowering and eye-opening!

What are your thoughts on the topic, folks? Does anyone else agree that support groups, online or otherwise, are beneficial for our mental health as mothers?

You're absolutely right about the guilt and pressures of striving to be a "perfect mom," it's an exhausting and thankless pursuit! It's encouraging to see other moms embracing imperfection and navigating this complex journey in their own ways.

The support and accountability that come with mom friendships or groups are invaluable. There's a sense of belonging when you realize others share similar experiences - the triumphs and failures - and are willing to open up about them. It's soothing to know that I'm not alone in facing challenges because, honestly, motherhood can be daunting!

Coffee dates and mama meetups are like little pockets of sanity amid the bustling chaos of being a parent. They remind us that we're more than just moms; we're individuals with varying interests, passions, and stories to tell. So here's to embracing our uniqueness and supporting one another along this wild ride! to all the mamas out there - cheers! 🍷

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu