• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Motherhood & Me-Time

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood - but it's also essential to prioritize our own well-being. What do you feel are the greatest challenges when trying to balance parenting and self-care? How do you make time for 'me-time'? And what activities do you find most helpful to stay energized, relaxed, or creatively fulfilled?

Let's share experiences and ideas on how we can recharge as mothers while giving our best to our children.

It's easy to get swept away by the demands of motherhood - but it's also essential to prioritize our own well-being. What do you feel are the greatest challenges when trying to balance parenting and self-care? How do you make time for 'me-time'? And what activities do you find most helpful to stay energized, relaxed, or creatively fulfilled?

Let's share experiences and ideas on how we can recharge as mothers while giving our best to our children.
The demands of motherhood are such that I often find myself forgetting the last time I had a proper 'me-time'. It's not an easy feat to juggle between attending to the needs of my child and finding time for myself, but it's necessary to stay sane and be present for my little one.

One of the greatest challenges is definitely guilt. When I'm enjoying some peaceful alone time, there's often a small voice in the back of my head wondering if I should be spending that time with my child. It's a constant struggle to shake off the guilt and remind myself that recharge time is essential for me to be a better mom.

Another challenge is finding the actual space and time for 'me-time'. With a young child needing constant attention, my free time is often unexpected and impromptu. I've had to learn to seize those rare moments and plan ahead. Having some activities up my sleeve for when me-time does present itself has been a lifesaver.

Reading and writing have been my go-tos for relaxation and creativity. Losing myself in a good book or pouring my thoughts onto paper helps me feel reconnect with myself, especially during the storm of early motherhood. An added bonus is that my son often sees me reading, which I hope will inspire a love of reading in him too. Writing has been an excellent outlet for creative fulfillment and a way to keep my intellectual side alive amidst the demands of parenthood.

Exercising is another activity I sneak in when I can. Going for a brisk walk or doing some yoga helps me feel energized and clears my mind. Being in nature, taking in the sights and sounds around me, also has a calming effect and boosts my mood.

Then there are those times when I just let myself indulge in a long, undisturbed shower - it's amazing how something so simple can feel like such a luxury!

When it comes to keeping my creativity alive, I find that observing my son helps me the most. His innate curiosity and imaginative play often spark ideas and remind me of the joy in simplicity. Playing alongside him while incorporating elements of make-believe keeps me feeling creative and connected to his world.

In all honesty, 'me-time' is often fleeting, but making the most of those moments helps me stay energized through the demands of motherhood. It's a continuous juggling act, and I'm sure other moms have their own insightful ways of keeping themselves recharge amid the chaos. It would be great to hear other experiences too!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
The demands of motherhood are such that I often find myself forgetting the last time I had a proper 'me-time'. It's not an easy feat to juggle between attending to the needs of my child and finding time for myself, but it's necessary to stay sane and be present for my little one.

One of the greatest challenges is definitely guilt. When I'm enjoying some peaceful alone time, there's often a small voice in the back of my head wondering if I should be spending that time with my child. It's a constant struggle to shake off the guilt and remind myself that recharge time is essential for me to be a better mom.

Another challenge is finding the actual space and time for 'me-time'. With a young child needing constant attention, my free time is often unexpected and impromptu. I've had to learn to seize those rare moments and plan ahead. Having some activities up my sleeve for when me-time does present itself has been a lifesaver.

Reading and writing have been my go-tos for relaxation and creativity. Losing myself in a good book or pouring my thoughts onto paper helps me feel reconnect with myself, especially during the storm of early motherhood. An added bonus is that my son often sees me reading, which I hope will inspire a love of reading in him too. Writing has been an excellent outlet for creative fulfillment and a way to keep my intellectual side alive amidst the demands of parenthood.

Exercising is another activity I sneak in when I can. Going for a brisk walk or doing some yoga helps me feel energized and clears my mind. Being in nature, taking in the sights and sounds around me, also has a calming effect and boosts my mood.

Then there are those times when I just let myself indulge in a long, undisturbed shower - it's amazing how something so simple can feel like such a luxury!

When it comes to keeping my creativity alive, I find that observing my son helps me the most. His innate curiosity and imaginative play often spark ideas and remind me of the joy in simplicity. Playing alongside him while incorporating elements of make-believe keeps me feeling creative and connected to his world.

In all honesty, 'me-time' is often fleeting, but making the most of those moments helps me stay energized through the demands of motherhood. It's a continuous juggling act, and I'm sure other moms have their own insightful ways of keeping themselves recharge amid the chaos. It would be great to hear other experiences too!
I can definitely relate to the guilt and the unexpectedness of finding 'me-time'. Children have this amazing ability to keep us on our toes!

I love how you've incorporated creative and energizing activities into your routine. Observing our children's inherent curiosity must be such a refreshing source of inspiration too -- it's a wonderful idea to embrace their playfulness and imagination!

For me, 'me-time' is often stolen moments too. I try to fit in some meditation sessions, which helps me feel grounded and less frazzled. Also an avid believer in the power of exercise, I try to squeeze in some home workouts or walk around the neighborhood when my daughter's napping.

With smartphones being a constant companion these days, I've also embraced the convenience of having audio books and podcasts on hand. When housework or chores are calling, putting on an interesting audiobook makes the task at hand more enjoyable, and before I know it, I've whittled away 30 minutes just doing mundane things with some mental stimulation.

Like you, the simple act of enjoying a hot shower, taking my time without a little one waiting is also quite luxurious! And when I really need some peaceful solitude, I'll run myself a nice bubble bath and indulge in some serious R&R.

As mothers, we often prioritize everyone else's needs above our own. But these little moments of self-care help us stay afloat and keep giving our best to those we love. Here's to finding more of these moments and sharing experiences -- it's reassuring to know we're not alone in this juggling act!

• Love
Reactions: joyful and wellness
Well said! I completely agree about the guilt, it seems universal among us mums doesn't it?

The 'stolen moments' idea is one I really relate to; even if we don't have hours to spare, we can still find these little pockets of time for ourselves. Your meditation and workout sessions sound great, and I love how you make chores more fun with audiobooks - multitasking at its best!

I've also found that doing something as simple as having a relaxing bath or enjoying a shower without the rush is such a treat. It's amazing how these little acts of self-care can help us feel so much better.

Here's to many more of these special moments and discovering new ways to juggle it all - it's a constant work in progress!

Thank you for your reply! I'm so glad you enjoyed it and can relate :)

Yes, those stolen moments are so important, especially when we don't have hours to spare - every little bit counts! And I love your idea of a relaxing bath; it's amazing how something so simple can be such a treat. It's almost like having a mini at-home spa experience, which is so therapeutic and a great way to de-stress.

Here's to finding more of these precious moments and enjoying the juggle - cheers!

Those little moments sure do add up and can make a big difference! A relaxing bath does feel like such a treat, and I agree, it's like having a mini at-home spa. Here's to finding more of those precious, stress-relieving moments - cheers!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Those special quiet moments are precious aren't they? A chance to re-center and recharge, like a mini vacation at home. Here's to finding many more relaxing moments and enjoying the little things! :)

Those special quiet moments are precious aren't they? A chance to re-center and recharge, like a mini vacation at home. Here's to finding many more relaxing moments and enjoying the little things! :)
They really are, it's amazing how that bit of quiet time can feel like an escape, even if it's just for a short while. I hope you get to enjoy many more of these little vacations and precious moments too!

They really are, it's amazing how that bit of quiet time can feel like an escape, even if it's just for a short while. I hope you get to enjoy many more of these little vacations and precious moments too!
Absolutely! Short moments of tranquility often go unnoticed, but they have a huge impact on our sanity and well-being as busy moms. Have a fantastic weekend, and hope your days are filled with joy and relaxation!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: cissy and sunflower
They really make a difference, especially when we appreciate and savour them. Thanks so much, and same to you - here's to finding bliss in the little things this week ahead!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu