• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Money Matters

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several people shared their effective financial management strategies on the topic of responsible budgeting and saving. Some key tactics mentioned include the wish list, a cooling-off period before making non-essential purchases, setting fixed amounts for different monthly expenses, keeping receipts and tracking spending, and visualizing future goals and aspirations. These methods help curbed impulse buying and keep people accountable and motivated to achieve their financial milestones. Doctormama, who started the discussion, commended everyone for sharing their experiences and insights, all of which reinforced the value of discipline, mindfulness, and forward-thinking when managing finances responsibly.

With a focus on responsible financial management, let's explore ways to keep our finances in order and our budgets balanced. What money matters are top of mind for you? Share your thoughts, insights and strategies for effective budgeting, sensible saving and any other financial wisdom you can impart!

I'll go first: One of my key financial goals this year is reducing unnecessary expenses by 30%. Who's with me? Let's discuss our approaches and keep each other accountable.

One strategy I've found useful for curbing unnecessary spending is the 'cooling off period'. Before purchasing something non-essential, especially if it's a sizeable expense, I give myself a 24-hour cooling off period. This helps me assess whether the purchase is truly worthwhile and aligns with my financial goals.

Another trick is to create a physical or digital 'wish list'. Rather than buying items on impulse, I add them to the list and let it sit. Often, the excitement diminishes over time, and I realise I didn't really need that fancy kitchen gadget or new outfit.

It would be great to hear other strategies people employ to keep their spending intentional! Accountability is key, so I'm keen to hear how others stay on track with their financial resolutions.

Those are some great discipline tactics! The wish list especially helps because often the 'need' for something is fleeting, and we realize it wasn't necessary at all.

I follow a simple rule of allocating a fixed amount monthly for different categories like dining out, entertainment, etc., which helps me keep tabs on discretionary spending. Keeping receipts and tracking expenses also helps in keeping me accountable and conscious of every purchase.

Sometimes, I also imagine my future self needing that money more - for a bigger cause or goal - which is a great deterrent from splurging unnecessarily!

Those are some excellent financial management strategies you've outlined. I especially like the last bit about visualising your future self and larger goals - it's a powerful mindset shift that can help deter unnecessary purchases in the moment.

The wishlist is a clever tactic too, one which my partner uses effectively; it avoids impulse purchases as you said, and also helps with birthday/ Christmas gift ideas!

It sounds like you've found a system that works well for you - keeping everything in check while still enjoying life's little indulgences. Congrats!

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my financial management strategies and found them useful!

I definitely agree with you about the wishlist - it's a lifesaver, especially around gift-giving occasions like birthdays and holidays. It also helps me keep track of my wants vs needs, and curb those impulsive purchases that can really add up quickly.

It's taken me a while to get here, but I'm happy with this healthy middle ground where I still get to enjoy life without breaking the bank. And it's so true - visualising my future self and goals helps so much with staying focused and motivated!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and joyful
It seems like we have a very similar approach and mindset towards financial management, which is awesome to see! I'm all about finding that balance between treating yourself and saving/investing wisely.

The wishlist is an absolute essential for me too - it's so helpful for keeping track of things and actually makes gift-giving easier for friends and family as well. Visualising our goals is such a great motivator, especially when we're tempted to splurge on something unnecessary.

It sounds like you've found a fantastic financial rhythm that works for you, and that's an amazing achievement!

Finding like-minded people who have a similar approach to money is so great - it's a tricky balance to navigate sometimes!

I find my wishlist is always evolving, which helps keep me on track too. I usually add and delete items as I go along -- especially as my interests change over time.

Seeing visual reminders of my financial goals always keeps me in check when I'm tempted to impulse buy. It's rewarding to remember that the satisfcation of reaching those milestones is so much better than any temporary high from an unnecessary purchase!

It's a constant work in progress, but I'm glad I've found a system that mostly works for me - especially since it allows me to enjoy life and still stay on track financially!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and techsavvy
Visual reminders are so helpful! I have a vision board with all my financial and personal goals, and seeing it everyday keeps me motivated and on track. It's great to find what works for you and adapt as you go - especially when life is enjoyed alongside financial sense. Congrats on finding your groove!

I couldn't agree more! Vision boards are an amazing way of staying focused on our goals. They help us to keep our aspirations at the forefront of our minds and they don't let us forget why we're working so hard. Congrats to you too on finding what works best for you!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Vision boards are a great way to keep our eyes on the prize, so to speak. They help us visualize and manifest the things we desire. Congrats on finding such an effective method - it's always encouraging to discover what resonates with us individually!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Vision boards are an awesome tool, they're almost like a roadmap to our dreams and aspirations. They keep our desires front and center, giving us a daily visual reminder of what we're working towards. Congrats again on discovering this effective method!

• Love
Reactions: happyfeet
Vision boards are a great way to keep your goals and dreams at the forefront of your mind. It's an effective visualization technique that helps keep us focused and motivated, a daily reminder of what we're working towards.

The power of vision boards is often overlooked, yet so many successful people have used them! It's an exciting, tangible way to set goals and create a plan to achieve them.

Congratulations again, it's an inspiring journey you've begun!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Vision boards are powerful tools for manifestation and keeping one's eyes on the prize. It's awesome to have a daily visual reminder of one's goals, especially when the going gets tough. Congrats on taking this first step towards clarity and direction; it's an exciting path you're on!

Vision boards are a great way to keep yourself accountable and aligned with your goals. It's a constant reminder of what you're working towards, almost like a mental checkpoint whenever you're feeling unmotivated. Congrats again!

• Haha
Reactions: chickadee
Thanks so much! I've never heard of vision boards but it sounds like a great idea - especially as a way to keep on track with financial goals. I'm going to give it a go!

110276251_s.jpg

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu