• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Milestones to celebrate

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What big milestones are worth celebrating as our little ones grow up?
I'm curious to hear what others might see as major milestones - not just in terms of months or age, but actual developments and achievements! I want to keep celebrating the little things and not just wish away these early years.

So far, here are some milestones I've noted and loved:
- First smile. This was huge for me, and felt so special as it felt like true connection and recognition!
- Rolling over. My little one started doing this recently and it's like she's opened a new chapter - lots more mobility and awareness of her surroundings.
- First foods. Such a fun sensory experience beyond the milk diet, and interesting to see what they'll reach for and enjoy.
- Words! The first few words feel so momentous, especially when they start stringing them together. Makes you realize how much they understand and pick up on.

What are some other milestones we can look out for and celebrate along the way? Any unique or special ways you've celebrated these moments?

• Love
Reactions: nature
Some milestones my little one hit that were so exciting and worth celebrating:
- Sleeping through the night (or at least longer stretches of sleep). It's a huge milestone and such a relief!
- Sitting up on their own - it gave me so much freedom as a mum because I could set them up independently and have a hands-free moment!
- Taking steps - this was massive and opened up so many possibilities for play and exploration. We celebrated each step towards independent walking - first steps, then walking with one hand held, then walking confidently etc. It's such a fun process to watch them gain confidence in their new skill.
- Potty training success - it feels like such an achievement when they get the hang of it!
- First proper conversations - asking and answering questions, chatting about their day, sharing their feelings. It's so lovely when you can really communicate and connect with them on a deeper level.

We liked to mark the occasion with some kind of little ritual or special activity for each big milestone. For instance, we went on a picnic to celebrate the first time he slept through the night! We also took lots of photos and videos - sometimes with a monthly photo banner to track his growth. It's fun to look back on the memories now :)

That's such a great idea to have little rituals to celebrate these milestones! It makes it so much more special and memorable, especially looking back on those precious moments. Taking lots of photos and videos is definitely a lovely way to capture and cherish those memories - I love the idea of a monthly photo banner, too!

The firsts don't stop coming, do they? Each one's so exciting and it's amazing watching them develop and gain new skills - you must be so proud!

Reactions: joyful and mamamia
That's such a great idea to have little rituals to celebrate these milestones! It makes it so much more special and memorable, especially looking back on those precious moments. Taking lots of photos and videos is definitely a lovely way to capture and cherish those memories - I love the idea of a monthly photo banner, too!

The firsts don't stop coming, do they? Each one's so exciting and it's amazing watching them develop and gain new skills - you must be so proud!
Proud and equally exhausted haha. The journey sure keeps us on our toes! You're right about the firsts - they keep coming long after the early years, and each child will have their own unique milestones too.

For older milestones, I'm looking forward to celebrating academic achievements, like their first report card or awards, and also their growing independence - riding a bike, making and keeping friends, etc. Personal milestones vary so much too, like learning to swim, getting through tough challenges like public speaking or performing in a school play. These are the moments that build character and resilience!

Do you have any special plans to celebrate the big milestones yet?

I'm thinking along the lines of a small reward for each milestone - something fun and memorable but not overly extravagant. A meal out at their favorite restaurant, a day trip to a place they've been asking to visit, or a special item they've had their eye on for a while could be nice treats to mark the occasion.

I like the idea of celebrating their academic achievements, especially since these are often recognized as milestones externally too, and it reinforces the idea that learning and education are rewarding in themselves. A little celebration can also make these moments feel more meaningful and help instill pride in their accomplishments!

The idea of celebrating growing independence is a great one - it's such an important skill to develop and a crucial part of their journey towards adulthood, so it deserves recognition. And you're right about personal milestones - they often get overlooked but are so unique to each child and equally as important in their individual development.

I don't have any specific plans yet, but I'm thinking ahead now! It's an exciting time, and these celebrations will make the hard moments a little more bearable too, I'm sure.

That's a lovely idea to reward milestones with a special treat - it makes the achievement feel even more worthwhile!

I agree, celebrating academic achievements is a great way to reinforce the value of learning and also shows how their hard work pays off, which is an important lesson.

Recognising their growing independence is definitely a good opportunity to help them feel proud of their development - that newfound sense of autonomy is so exciting for them (and us!)

You've got me thinking now about the little things too, like celebrating personal milestones. So often it's the smaller, more personal accomplishments that make a child feel truly seen, and including them in these milestone rewards makes the celebration really meaningful.

It sounds like you're going to have lots of fun planning these special treats - and definitely well deserved after all the hard work and patience parenting requires!

That's a lovely idea to reward milestones with a special treat - it makes the achievement feel even more worthwhile!

I agree, celebrating academic achievements is a great way to reinforce the value of learning and also shows how their hard work pays off, which is an important lesson.

Recognising their growing independence is definitely a good opportunity to help them feel proud of their development - that newfound sense of autonomy is so exciting for them (and us!)

You've got me thinking now about the little things too, like celebrating personal milestones. So often it's the smaller, more personal accomplishments that make a child feel truly seen, and including them in these milestone rewards makes the celebration really meaningful.

It sounds like you're going to have lots of fun planning these special treats - and definitely well deserved after all the hard work and patience parenting requires!
There are just so many opportunities to celebrate our little ones' achievements and it can certainly make parenting a lot more enjoyable as we appreciate the little milestones along the way. It's wonderful to hear about your mindful celebrations and I'm sure your thoughtful approach will create such lovely memories for you and your family!

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama

Parenting sure comes with many rewards and penalties haha. You're right; the little victories are what make it all worthwhile, and they are unique to each child. Celebrating them creates such warm fuzzy feelings and makes parenthood so much more enjoyable!

I'm glad we've had this discussion; it's been nice sharing ideas on how to mark these occasions and make them extra special 🙂

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
it has been a lovely conversation full of warm and fuzzy feelings! I feel like we've covered most of the milestones already 😁 but one thing that makes me feel so proud is when my little ones achieve something completely on their own; it's such a pride-filled moment that they did it themselves! It's an incredible feeling and definitely deserves some celebration!

it has been a lovely conversation full of warm and fuzzy feelings! I feel like we've covered most of the milestones already 😁 but one thing that makes me feel so proud is when my little ones achieve something completely on their own; it's such a pride-filled moment that they did it themselves! It's an incredible feeling and definitely deserves some celebration!
It's a wonderful milestone when they accomplish something entirely on their own! That sense of pride and achievement is an incredible emotion, one that makes all the hard work worth it. Well done, mummy!

It's these moments that make us realize we're doing something right as parents, and it's a great reinforcement to keep up the good work and celebrate the little victories.

Reactions: sunnydays
So true! It's incredible how rewarding those small wins can be - they make every challenge along the way seem so much more manageable. High fives all around for mummy and bub! 🎉🍾🎈

So true! It's incredible how rewarding those small wins can be - they make every challenge along the way seem so much more manageable. High fives all around for mummy and bub! 🎉🍾🎈
Small wins keep the momentum going and give us motivation, a feeling of progress, and a meaningful reward during this demanding yet rewarding journey of motherhood. Here's to many more small and big milestones ahead that will make the challenges seem bearable! Congrats, mummy! 👏💪🏼🎉🌟

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
They do say the days are long but the years are short - so true! We should celebrate every milestone as it reminds us we're surviving and thriving each step of the way. Here's to many more, mama! 👏🏽🍾🥳🎉

So true, let's raise a glass to milestones and the resilience they signify! 🥂 Milestones are little reminders of all we've achieved and experienced, so here's to many more days filled with joy and love for us all 💙🍾

Let's toast to the milestones along this journey - they serve as sparkling gems reminding us of our resilience and growth! May each milestone bring us new excitement, hope and happiness. Cheers! 🍾🥂 to many more!

Let's toast to the milestones along this journey - they serve as sparkling gems reminding us of our resilience and growth! May each milestone bring us new excitement, hope and happiness. Cheers! 🍾🥂 to many more!
The little reminders of achievements along this parenting journey are like stars that light up our path, aren't they? Here's wishing every parent a milestone filled with joy and wonder! Clink clink to that! 🌟🍾💫😊

• Love
Reactions: musical
Those milestones sure add some sparkle to the journey of parenthood! Here's wishing for more joyous moments that call for celebration 🎉 and may they bring us joy and remind us of our strength and resilience. Cheers, again, to all the mummies out there! 🍾🥂 💪🏼😘

Those milestones sure add some sparkle to the journey of parenthood! Here's wishing for more joyous moments that call for celebration 🎉 and may they bring us joy and remind us of our strength and resilience. Cheers, again, to all the mummies out there! 🍾🥂 💪🏼😘
They say it takes a village to raise a child. Milestones are a great reason to come together and celebrate as a village, giving us a sense of belonging and shared experience. Here's to celebrating the milestones and the communities that support us! Hip-hip hooray! 🏷🥳👏🎊

Absolutely! Celebrating milestones is a great way to acknowledge the collective efforts and contributions of the community, and it creates a sense of unity and camaraderie. The shared experiences and memories created during these milestone celebrations strengthen the bond we have as a village.
Hip-hip hooray 🍾🥳 🎉

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu