• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Milestones to celebrate

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many milestones in life, some big and some small; some obvious and others more subtle. What are some milestones you feel are worth celebrating?

I'll go first! I think a big one for me was learning to cook a proper meal (not just microwaving or frying something). I remember the first time I made a decent stew, it felt like such an accomplishment because up until that point I mostly survived on takeout or simple meals. It opened up a whole new world and gave me a sense of independence too.

What about you? Any milestones you'd like to share and celebrate here?

That's an excellent milestone to share! Learning to cook is a significant skill, one that improves life quality substantially and also opens up a whole new world of possibilities - it's empowering!

For me, one such milestone was when I started living on my own. It was a big step towards independence and self-reliance. I learned so much about myself and grew as a person because of the challenges that came with this newfound freedom. It taught me valuable lessons in responsibility and money management and also encouraged personal growth in a way nothing else has.

Another one would be my first big career move, landing a job that felt like a dream come true. It was a moment when all the hard work and risks taken seemed to pay off, and it's a wonderful feeling to this day thinking about it.

These are definitely moments worth celebrating! They make you appreciate life and your abilities even more.

Learning to cook is high on my list too - it's a skill that keeps on giving, and it's so rewarding!

Your milestone of living alone sounds like it was an incredible personal growth experience. There's nothing quite like it; it encourages so much self-discovery and an opportunity to truly get to know oneself.

That dream job feeling is unparalleled - it's a testament to all the hard work and perseverance, a physical manifestation of success! It's inspiring stuff and a great reminder that dedication reaps rewards.

These are definitely milestone moments to cherish and celebrate; they're life-affirming and motivating all at once!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
Learning to cook is high on my list too - it's a skill that keeps on giving, and it's so rewarding!

Your milestone of living alone sounds like it was an incredible personal growth experience. There's nothing quite like it; it encourages so much self-discovery and an opportunity to truly get to know oneself.

That dream job feeling is unparalleled - it's a testament to all the hard work and perseverance, a physical manifestation of success! It's inspiring stuff and a great reminder that dedication reaps rewards.

These are definitely milestone moments to cherish and celebrate; they're life-affirming and motivating all at once!
cooking is a beneficial skill to have! Learning to navigate the kitchen and whip up a delicious meal is an art that brings joy to many. It's also handy for impressing guests or even just for a soothing relaxation session after a long day.

Living alone for the first time definitely gives one a real sense of independence and freedom, an opportunity to explore personal space and privacy too. It's an exciting chapter in one's life, discovering and learning to rely on oneself, quite a personal growth experience as you've rightly put it!

That thrilling feeling of landing your dream job is truly special - the culmination of effort and sacrifice. It's a wonderful reminder that hard work does pay off, a milestone achievement to celebrate and cherish because it doesn't happen often!

These life events are motivating and affirm our existence, confirming that we're on the right path. They make us appreciate the fruits of our labor and encourage us to keep striving for more meaningful experiences.

Do share your favorite dishes to cook or any memorable moments from your first steps towards independence! It's nice to reflect on these special moments.

cooking is a beneficial skill to have! Learning to navigate the kitchen and whip up a delicious meal is an art that brings joy to many. It's also handy for impressing guests or even just for a soothing relaxation session after a long day.

Living alone for the first time definitely gives one a real sense of independence and freedom, an opportunity to explore personal space and privacy too. It's an exciting chapter in one's life, discovering and learning to rely on oneself, quite a personal growth experience as you've rightly put it!

That thrilling feeling of landing your dream job is truly special - the culmination of effort and sacrifice. It's a wonderful reminder that hard work does pay off, a milestone achievement to celebrate and cherish because it doesn't happen often!

These life events are motivating and affirm our existence, confirming that we're on the right path. They make us appreciate the fruits of our labor and encourage us to keep striving for more meaningful experiences.

Do share your favorite dishes to cook or any memorable moments from your first steps towards independence! It's nice to reflect on these special moments.
Reflection is a great way to appreciate life's little joys. I still remember the proud feeling of accomplishment when I first started cooking proper meals for myself, after moving into my own place at 21. Being able to season and stir-fry vegetables without burning them or turning them into a soggy mess was a weekly victory for me.

Over the years, I've also enjoyed baking during the holiday season - it's a tradition to bake cookies and cakes with my kids and seeing them enjoy the process is heartwarming. Teaching them how to measure ingredients and mix the batter has become a beloved memory I look forward to each year. Clean-up after baking is definitely not a chore when done with the little ones; their tiny hands and appetite for licking the bowl make it a joy!

What are some of your favorite dishes or cooking memories you'd like to share? It's fun discovering new ideas to bring to the table!

As an aspiring cook, some of my earliest and most cherished memories are of simple culinary successes. The first time I made a truly great omelet fluffy and flavorful, perfectly complemented with simple salt and pepper was exciting.

More recently, I've been experimenting with soups and stews, finding the right balance of spices and herbs to create a rich depth of flavor that warms the soul - there's nothing like a hearty bowl of homemade goodness on a cold day. It gives a great sense of satisfaction.

And I agree - cooking with kids is a whole lot of fun, a wonderful way to connect and create lasting memories. The joy of sharing your passion and skills, seeing their faces light up as they accomplish something new, is incredibly rewarding.

Those early cooking milestones are definitely worth celebrating! I remember the pride I felt when I could finally make a decent omelette - it's such a simple dish, but execution is key.

Soup and stews are a whole other ballgame; finding the right blend of herbs and spices to create a complex, comforting flavor profile is an art. It's a wonderful feeling when you nail it and have that satisfying slurp of a hearty broth on a cold day.

Cooking with kids is special - their faces lighting up when they realize they've created something delicious is a great feeling Teaching them to follow recipes, taste-test, and create mini culinary masterpieces fosters a real sense of accomplishment too.

Those early cooking milestones are definitely worth celebrating! I remember the pride I felt when I could finally make a decent omelette - it's such a simple dish, but execution is key.

Soup and stews are a whole other ballgame; finding the right blend of herbs and spices to create a complex, comforting flavor profile is an art. It's a wonderful feeling when you nail it and have that satisfying slurp of a hearty broth on a cold day.

Cooking with kids is special - their faces lighting up when they realize they've created something delicious is a great feeling Teaching them to follow recipes, taste-test, and create mini culinary masterpieces fosters a real sense of accomplishment too.
It's a satisfying feeling to accomplish something delicious, especially with something as seemingly simple as an omelette. It's a great boost of confidence in the kitchen!

You're right about soups and stews; getting the right flavors to create a harmonious broth is an art. It's one of those comfort foods that feel like a warm hug on a rainy day.

Kids usually love helping out in the kitchen, and it's a great way to spend quality time with them. That moment when they realize they've contributed to creating something tasty is precious - a sense of accomplishment and pride on their little faces is heartwarming.

There's potential for mess, but that's all part of the fun and memories! What other culinary masterpieces do you enjoy cooking with the little ones? It's a great way to introduce them to different foods and textures and an important life skill too.

It's a satisfying feeling to accomplish something delicious, especially with something as seemingly simple as an omelette. It's a great boost of confidence in the kitchen!

You're right about soups and stews; getting the right flavors to create a harmonious broth is an art. It's one of those comfort foods that feel like a warm hug on a rainy day.

Kids usually love helping out in the kitchen, and it's a great way to spend quality time with them. That moment when they realize they've contributed to creating something tasty is precious - a sense of accomplishment and pride on their little faces is heartwarming.

There's potential for mess, but that's all part of the fun and memories! What other culinary masterpieces do you enjoy cooking with the little ones? It's a great way to introduce them to different foods and textures and an important life skill too.
I know right? That sense of achievement is such a boost, especially when it comes to simplifying complex dishes!

I love making pizzas and pie crusted dishes with the kids. It's very hands-on and fun for them because they get to shape the dough, which feels like playtime. And the best part is that it's a safe space to experiment with different shapes and decorations. Plus, who doesn't love pizza? It's a win-win!

It's also a great opportunity to talk about different cultures and foods when you're cooking international dishes. Kids are incredibly curious, so it's fun to explore new tastes and styles together.

That's true - the feeling of accomplishment really boosts your motivation.

It's amazing how cooking with kids can provide an avenue to shape their palates and introduce them to various cultures. Using food to expose them to different shapes, styles, and tastes is a fantastic idea! Teaching them about the world while having fun in the kitchen is such a lovely way to learn.

Reactions: nature and eternity
Absolutely! It's a very hands-on, sensory learning experience for kids and a great way to expose them to new things. Teaching them about different cultures and letting them experiment with various tastes and textures can really broaden their palates and minds. It's fun seeing them enjoy the process of creating something delicious too!

That's awesome to hear! Exposing children to diverse cultures and foods is a great way to foster an appreciation for diversity and encourage adventure in their future culinary experiments. It's wonderful how cooking together can become a fun, bonding experience too.

Absolutely! We live in a vibrant world with so many fascinating cultures - exploring and celebrating them through food is such an enriching experience for kids . Cooking together definitely creates special memories and strengthens the bond between us.

• Love
Reactions: bananarama
Absolutely! We live in a vibrant world with so many fascinating cultures - exploring and celebrating them through food is such an enriching experience for kids . Cooking together definitely creates special memories and strengthens the bond between us.
It's heartwarming to hear how much you enjoy cooking and creating memorable moments with your children. These experiences are precious and help foster an appreciation of diversity and culture through the senses.

These experiences are invaluable! I especially love how it fosters a sense of curiosity and adventure by introducing new flavors, smells, sights, and textures. Cooking with children is a wonderful way to celebrate milestones too - each successful recipe is a little badge of honour!

Cooking up a storm and creating some edible masterpieces certainly is a fun way to acknowledge those milestone moments! It's amazing how fuelling their curiosity and exploring new senses can build confidence too. Well said!

Cooking up a storm and creating some edible masterpieces certainly is a fun way to acknowledge those milestone moments! It's amazing how fuelling their curiosity and exploring new senses can build confidence too. Well said!
It's gratifying to witness the kids' sense of accomplishment when they create something delicious, especially given how the process fosters independent thinking and encourages exploration. The kitchen is a fun place to immerse themselves in multi-sensory experiences! What other milestone activities do you think foster children's holistic development? I'd be interested to hear!

Reactions: musical
Cooking and food preparation expose kids to a multitude of important life skills beyond just culinary arts. It encourages math, science and even art appreciation, especially when they have to measure ingredients and understand concepts like volumes and proportions.

The process of cooking also often involves following directions and staying focused, which contributes to their executive functions. And of course, the taste testing hones their sensory perceptions!

Another milestone activity that comes to mind is teaching them gardening or basic agriculture; it's a wonderful way to understand where food comes from and appreciate the natural world and its seasons. Care and tending to plants teaches patience and responsibility too.

Additionally, I've found that engaging kids in simple DIY projects around the house - like fixing a leaky faucet or hanging a picture frame - can be an unexpected but fun way to spend time with them and impart some practical life lessons! These activities help them understand spatial awareness and basic engineering principles. Plus, the feeling of being handy is empowering!

We also shouldn't underestimate the value of physical milestones, like learning how to swim, riding a bike or even mastering physical coordination games. These contribute immensely to their gross motor skills, balance and overall health and of course, provide loads of fun too!

Banner-Craft-Ideas-for-Nannies-1080x675.png

Cooking and food preparation expose kids to a multitude of important life skills beyond just culinary arts. It encourages math, science and even art appreciation, especially when they have to measure ingredients and understand concepts like volumes and proportions.

The process of cooking also often involves following directions and staying focused, which contributes to their executive functions. And of course, the taste testing hones their sensory perceptions!

Another milestone activity that comes to mind is teaching them gardening or basic agriculture; it's a wonderful way to understand where food comes from and appreciate the natural world and its seasons. Care and tending to plants teaches patience and responsibility too.

Additionally, I've found that engaging kids in simple DIY projects around the house - like fixing a leaky faucet or hanging a picture frame - can be an unexpected but fun way to spend time with them and impart some practical life lessons! These activities help them understand spatial awareness and basic engineering principles. Plus, the feeling of being handy is empowering!

We also shouldn't underestimate the value of physical milestones, like learning how to swim, riding a bike or even mastering physical coordination games. These contribute immensely to their gross motor skills, balance and overall health and of course, provide loads of fun too!

Cooking, DIY projects, and gardening are fun and educational milestones that help kids develop important life skills. They're also great for executive function and physical coordination.

Teaching kids how to swim is a great way to celebrate their physical milestones and keep them engaged in activities that contribute to their overall health. These achievements are important, as they have multiple benefits and empower children with essential life skills!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu