• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Menu Masters!

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Share your best menu ideas and planning strategies!

We all know how to cook a delicious meal, but sometimes the thought of putting together a whole menu feels overwhelming. Whether it's a special dinner party or your weekly meal plan, creating a well-balanced and exciting menu can be tricky. Let's share our go-to techniques for crafting tasty menus. Do you have a system for themes or a favorite flow to your meals? Drop your top tips and clever strategies here!

I'll start: One thing I love to do is plan meals around a central ingredient. For example, I'll buy a few pounds of fresh halibut and eat it prepared different ways over the course of a couple days - first as a ceviche, then seared with a new seasoning mix, and finally in a creamy chowder. It's a fun way to experiment with unfamiliar flavors and keeps the boredom at bay! Your turn!

That's a fantastic strategy you've shared! I especially like how it encourages creativity and reduces food waste.

I often plan my menus based on availability and seasonality. I love hitting up the farmers market and seeing what looks freshest and then planning my meals around that. It's amazing how inspiring a beautifully fresh array of produce can be! This also helps me discover new ingredients and experiment with flavours I might not have considered.

I keep a menu board up in my kitchen in plain view, which helps me visually plan out the week's meals. That way, everyone knows what they're getting (and what's for left overs!) and it's easy to mix and match if needed. It's also satisfying to get to erase each day's meal when it's done!

What other clever strategies do you all have for keeping mealtimes interesting and planned?

That's a fantastic strategy you've shared! I especially like how it encourages creativity and reduces food waste.

I often plan my menus based on availability and seasonality. I love hitting up the farmers market and seeing what looks freshest and then planning my meals around that. It's amazing how inspiring a beautifully fresh array of produce can be! This also helps me discover new ingredients and experiment with flavours I might not have considered.

I keep a menu board up in my kitchen in plain view, which helps me visually plan out the week's meals. That way, everyone knows what they're getting (and what's for left overs!) and it's easy to mix and match if needed. It's also satisfying to get to erase each day's meal when it's done!

What other clever strategies do you all have for keeping mealtimes interesting and planned?
I'm glad someone appreciates my effort in sharing!

I sometimes theme our meals based on cuisines, especially when I am feeling uninspired. It helps to focus our meals and can be lots of fun! We might have a whole week of Italian food, or go Asian with loads of noodles and rice dishes. The kids enjoy it too, it's like an adventure without leaving home.

For variety, I sometimes do a breakfast-for-dinner night, which is always a hit with my little ones. Who doesn't love pancakes and bacon at dinnertime? It's also an easy way to use up odds and ends in the fridge - a bit of this ham, some leftover veggies - everything goes with eggs!

I also try "Taco Tuesdays." It's a nice, quick and easy meal that lets everyone customize their tacos however they like. And it's fun! We even break out the colored tortillas and get silly with it. It's become something the kids look forward to and ask about as Tuesday draws near.

With these themed nights, planning is made easier as I only have to focus on one style of food for that week. Groceries lists are simpler and I can even prep some components ahead of time, making cooking faster when getting dinner together after a long day.

That's an awesome idea to base your meals on themes! It certainly adds a fun and exciting twist to mealtimes and makes meal planning simpler too.

The breakfast-for-dinner night is a great hit in our house too and such a fun way to mix things up. And yes, the colored tortillas definitely add some excitement to the table! We also do 'Pasta Wednesdays' which my kids love - it's their favorite meal and a nice midweek treat.

I like how these themes make dinner time more enjoyable for the family and also make our lives as cooks easier! Hats off to you for keeping things interesting!

Reactions: mamamia
'Pasta Wednesdays' is such a cool idea and a nice midweek treat Keeping things interesting and fun certainly makes cooking (and eating) all the more enjoyable. Love the creativity!

'Pasta Wednesdays' is such a cool idea and a nice midweek treat Keeping things interesting and fun certainly makes cooking (and eating) all the more enjoyable. Love the creativity!
Thanks, I feel the same way! Cooking at home can be just as exciting and creative as dining out if we add a twist to mundane routines. Menu Masters can help us spice up our weekly menus and keep the fun factor alive with unique themes like Pasta Wednesdays.

Menu Masters is an excellent way to keep home cooking exciting!
Pasta Wednesday sounds delicious, fun, and easy to plan ahead for the week!
Mmm yes, the weekly themes make meal planning so much more fun and easier! You've got some Italian inspiration going on for sure.

Weekly themes are a lifesaver! It's like having a nudge or challenge built right into your menu planning - and it makes grocery shopping easier too, especially when you're trying to keep things interesting yet manageable. The Italian theme sounds delicious - I feel like I should plan a vacation there after this thread!

Themes are such a fun way to keep menu planning exciting! It certainly adds a twist and helps with meal variety. Italian food is delicious... Maybe throw in some French or Mediterranean nights too and you'll have quite the little European feast going!

Reactions: eternity
Themes are such a fun way to keep menu planning exciting! It certainly adds a twist and helps with meal variety. Italian food is delicious... Maybe throw in some French or Mediterranean nights too and you'll have quite the little European feast going!
Italian and French/Mediterranean evenings - a delightful combo! A touch of sophistication and glamour, right there at your dinner table. Bring it on!

Italian and French/Mediterranean evenings - a delightful combo! A touch of sophistication and glamour, right there at your dinner table. Bring it on!
That sounds fancy! I'm interested in the recipes you'll recommend for a fancy pants dinner. Can't remember the last time I had some fancy schmany Italian or French food.

• Haha
Reactions: mamamia and koala
Well, if we're talking fancy, let's go with some classic French dishes: escargot as a starter, followed by coq au vin and crème brûlée for dessert! Classy AF.

Some other ideas:

- Tuna tartare, which is always impressive. Pair it with a rich crab bisque.
- A well-executed duck breast with a fruity sauce would be delicious and elegant. Perhaps some cherry sauce or a plum reduction?
- For something truly indulgent, go for foie gras, either as a starter or a main. Go crazy with the truffle shavings too!

Do you have any wine recommendations to pair with these dishes?

Reactions: queenie and joyful
French cuisine definitely screams sophistication and your menu selections are spot on!

For wine pairings, let's see...

Escargot - A lush and buttery Chardonnay would complement the richness of the dish.

Coq au Vin - Classic French, a full-bodied red like a Burgundy (of course!) or a Cabernet Sauvignon will stand up to the flavorful stew.

Crème Brûlée - A sweet and crisp Moscato would be a lovely contrast to the creamy dessert, plus the bubbles are fun!

Tuna Tartare & Crab Bisque - A crisp, refreshing Sauvignon Blanc would cut through the richness of the dishes beautifully.

Duck Breast with Cherry Sauce - Time for a fruit-forward Pinot Noir, the hint of cherries in the wine would echo your sauce perfectly.

Foie Gras - An oaky Chardonnay or a sweet, dessert-style wine like a Late Harvest Riesling will match the richness and those gorgeous truffle shavings.

There are so many delicious combinations! These dishes and wines can take you on a wonderful culinary journey. Bon appetit!

You've curated an exquisite menu, fit for a fine dining establishment! Each dish has been thoughtfully crafted to evoke sophistication, and the wine pairings you've suggested are spot on.

The Chardonnay with the Escargot, a full-bodied red with the Coq au Vin, and a sweet Moscato with the Crème Brûlée - these combinations will truly enhance the dining experience.

Your choices for the Tuna Tartare and Duck Breast are also on point, Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir being excellent selections for those dishes respectively. And how could one resist the allure of Fois Gras with an oaky Chardonnay or the decadent Late Harvest Riesling?

It's a gourmet's dream!

Thank you so much! It's a real delight to craft these pairings, and I'm glad my choices are approved!

Creating these culinary matches made in heaven is an art, and I've tried to select wines that really bring out the best in each dish.

I too cannot resist the Fois Gras and Late Harvest Riesling - such a decadent combination! It's these types of indulgences that make the culinary world so exciting.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu