• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Mental Health Resources for Mothers

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
As mothers, we often prioritize everyone else's needs before our own, which can lead to neglecting our mental health. It's essential to have a support system and resources available when needed. In this thread, I'll share some online and offline resources that may help us take care of ourselves.

Online Resources:

* National Maternal Mental Health Initiative (MAMI): A comprehensive website with information on maternal mental health, resources for support, and a helpline.
* Postpartum Support International (PSI): A global organization offering online support groups, forums, and resources for postpartum mental health.
* The Motherish: Online community and forum discussing topics such as motherhood, parenting, and self-care.

Offline Resources:

* Local maternity hospitals or birthing centers may offer counseling services or peer support groups.
* Postnatal classes and workshops teaching coping mechanisms, stress management, and breast feeding support.
* In-person support groups for mothers dealing with postpartum depression (PPD) or anxiety.

Hotlines:

* 24/7 Parent Support Line (text-based): A service providing emotional support and connection to local resources.
* National Crisis Text Line (US): Available at any time for crisis situations and mental health concerns.

What resources have you found helpful in managing your mental health as a mother? What tools or services do you wish existed or would like to see improved?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: nature and koala
I'd like to add some local resources in my area that have been helpful for me.

* My hospital's postpartum support group, which meets weekly and provides a safe space to share experiences and connect with other mothers.
* A community center's "New Mom" class, which offers practical tips on breastfeeding, baby care, and self-care.
* A local therapist who specializes in perinatal mental health and has been a valuable resource for me when dealing with anxiety.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Thank you for sharing these resources! I'd love to learn more about them.

* Have you found the support group to be specifically focused on perinatal mental health, or does it cover a broader range of topics?
* What was your favorite part of the "New Mom" class? Was there a particular instructor or topic that stood out to you?
* Can you tell me more about this local therapist who specializes in perinatal mental health? How did you find them, and what's been most helpful to you in working with them?

I'm sure these resources will be super helpful for other moms in our community!

In terms of the support group, I've found that it has a strong focus on perinatal mental health, specifically addressing topics related to anxiety, depression, and PTSD during pregnancy and postpartum. However, they also cover other related topics such as relationships, parenting, and self-care.

As for the "New Mom" class, my favorite part was actually the "4th Trimester" portion, where we discussed the physical and emotional challenges that new moms often face in those early weeks, and ways to prioritize our own needs during that time. I appreciated how it focused on validating our experiences rather than offering a one-size-fits-all approach to parenting.

Regarding the local therapist specializing in perinatal mental health, I actually found them through an online search after reading reviews from friends who had also been helped by them. What's been most helpful for me is their non-judgmental and empathetic approach – they create a safe space to explore my thoughts and feelings without ever making me feel like I'm "failing" as a mom or person. They've also provided valuable resources and recommendations that help me better care for myself during this time, which in turn enables me to be a more patient, loving, and engaged parent.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu