• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meals Matter

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The title of this forum couldn't be more accurate: Nutrition matters, and what we eat matters even more. What kind of meals do you prepare when you're trying to nourish your body? Do you focus on macros, stay within certain calorie boundaries or plan according to your blood type?

Do you have any go-to nutritious meals that you fall back on when meal planning fails or does your culinary creativity know no bounds?

Let's share some of our favorite nourishing meals and the science behind them! I'll start: a favorite in my house is baked salmon with a lemon-dill yoghurt sauce, served over a bed of roasted asparagus. The omega-3 fatty acids in the salmon and the vitamins in the asparagus make this a colorful and nutritious dish - plus it's easy to prepare and always delicious.

The title of this forum couldn't be more accurate: Nutrition matters, and what we eat matters even more. What kind of meals do you prepare when you're trying to nourish your body? Do you focus on macros, stay within certain calorie boundaries or plan according to your blood type?

Do you have any go-to nutritious meals that you fall back on when meal planning fails or does your culinary creativity know no bounds?

Let's share some of our favorite nourishing meals and the science behind them! I'll start: a favorite in my house is baked salmon with a lemon-dill yoghurt sauce, served over a bed of roasted asparagus. The omega-3 fatty acids in the salmon and the vitamins in the asparagus make this a colorful and nutritious dish - plus it's easy to prepare and always delicious.
My hubby and I keep things pretty simple and don't really focus on macros or calories, just try to eat healthily and keep things balanced. We mostly eat Asian dishes with plenty of veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats.

One of my go-to's is a lemony chicken and vegetable stir fry, cooked in extra virgin olive oil and served over some brown rice. It's light, refreshing, and packed with nutrients. The sauce has plenty of citrus juice and garlic, which has lots of health benefits. I also sneak in some baby spinach leaves for an extra punch of nutrients - iron, fiber, and vitamins! It's a simple meal that's quick to prepare, tasty, and nutritious, tick-tock all the boxes!

We also love using our slow cooker for a warm, comforting stew on cooler nights. It's so hassle-free - just prep the ingredients, pop them in, and let the cooker do its magic. A favorite is a hearty beef stew with loads of veggies like carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. It's a one-pot meal that's satisfying and full of flavor. We love using different types of herbs and spices to give it an extra kick and keep things interesting.

What about you guys? Any quick, nutritious meals that you fall back on? Share the deets!

• Love
Reactions: cissy

I usually focus on ensuring I get adequate protein, so my go-to is grilled chicken breast with a side of roasted vegetables - a simple, balanced meal that's quick to prepare. The various colors of the veggies provide different nutrients, and the lean protein from the chicken fills me up without loading me down.

My hubby and I keep things pretty simple and don't really focus on macros or calories, just try to eat healthily and keep things balanced. We mostly eat Asian dishes with plenty of veggies, lean protein, and healthy fats.

One of my go-to's is a lemony chicken and vegetable stir fry, cooked in extra virgin olive oil and served over some brown rice. It's light, refreshing, and packed with nutrients. The sauce has plenty of citrus juice and garlic, which has lots of health benefits. I also sneak in some baby spinach leaves for an extra punch of nutrients - iron, fiber, and vitamins! It's a simple meal that's quick to prepare, tasty, and nutritious, tick-tock all the boxes!

We also love using our slow cooker for a warm, comforting stew on cooler nights. It's so hassle-free - just prep the ingredients, pop them in, and let the cooker do its magic. A favorite is a hearty beef stew with loads of veggies like carrots, potatoes, and cabbage. It's a one-pot meal that's satisfying and full of flavor. We love using different types of herbs and spices to give it an extra kick and keep things interesting.

What about you guys? Any quick, nutritious meals that you fall back on? Share the deets!
Heya, slow cooker meals are a healthy and hassle-free option, convenient too! I typically prepare a big batch of stew or soup over the weekend, packed with veggies and pulses. My go-to is a hearty minestrone, loaded with nutrients from all the veggies, fiber, and protein from the beans. It's a full meal in one pot, and the flavors develop beautifully slow cooking. 

Also, love me some fish meals cause they're quick and easy to prep, especially seared salmon or pan-fried tilapia, which I serve with a squeeze of lime and some homemade chili sauce. I usually pair them with roasted veggies or a simple salad on the side. These dishes are so colorful and tasty that it's hard to believe they're also nourishing.

What about nutritious snacks? anyone got any craves for some healthy nibbles between meals?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
For healthy snacks, I'm a big fan of energy balls - they're tasty and satisfy my sweet tooth without being too indulgent. Usually, I'll roll some oats, nuts, shredded coconut, and dates together, sometimes adding spices like cinnamon or cocoa powder for flavor. They're a great mid-afternoon pick-me-up and easy to make in bulk.

I also love me some roasted chickpeas straight out of the oven - crispy and full of protein. You can season them with different spices to change up the flavors, too.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
For healthy snacks, I'm a big fan of energy balls - they're tasty and satisfy my sweet tooth without being too indulgent. Usually, I'll roll some oats, nuts, shredded coconut, and dates together, sometimes adding spices like cinnamon or cocoa powder for flavor. They're a great mid-afternoon pick-me-up and easy to make in bulk.

I also love me some roasted chickpeas straight out of the oven - crispy and full of protein. You can season them with different spices to change up the flavors, too.
That's a great idea! I typically go for dried fruits and nuts as snacks. Easy to store, portable, and healthy! Also satisfying to munch on without the guilt. Love the idea of energy balls too - might roll some this weekend for next week's cravings 😋😍. Any recommendation for some savoury, crispy snacks that can tide me over between meals without spoiling my appetite?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy and travelmum
That's a great idea! I typically go for dried fruits and nuts as snacks. Easy to store, portable, and healthy! Also satisfying to munch on without the guilt. Love the idea of energy balls too - might roll some this weekend for next week's cravings 😋😍. Any recommendation for some savoury, crispy snacks that can tide me over between meals without spoiling my appetite?
I've got a soft spot for crispy, savory delights, and one of my favorites is homemade potato chips! Thicker-cut fries loaded with spices are my ultimate comfort food. I use coconut oil for frying and load up on the herbs and spices like paprika, garlic powder, and a good pinch of salt. They're so moreish, plus you control what goes into them - perfect for snacking healthily.

Another crisp option is baked zucchini chips! These are a great hit of greenery and work well seasoned with Italian spices. They have that satisfying crunch without the greasy feel, and it's fun to prep them too!

Your crispy treats sound amazing, especially those zucchini chips! I love the idea of adding Italian spices - they're so full of flavor.

I've also been experimenting with making rice paper wraps recently, which give a lovely crunchy texture without the deep-fried feel. I find them a great canvas for all sorts of creative toppings and dips too.

That's awesome! I've never played around with rice paper wraps, they sound so fun and versatile - definitely going to give them a shot soon, especially with the crunchy texture you mentioned. Love the idea of the creative topping options too, might experiment with some herby dips this weekend :)

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
That's awesome! I've never played around with rice paper wraps, they sound so fun and versatile - definitely going to give them a shot soon, especially with the crunchy texture you mentioned. Love the idea of the creative topping options too, might experiment with some herby dips this weekend :)
There's something so satisfying about finding new, healthy snacks that don't compromise on taste. It's also impressive how these healthier alternatives can be so satiating - I used to think unhealthy snacks were the only way to curb cravings!

These days, I'm really into dehydrating fruits and veggies for a crunchy fix. Have you tried them before? They're such convenient snacks, and you can prepare a big batch ahead of time. I love the variety too - from apple chips to kale crisps!

There's something so satisfying about finding new, healthy snacks that don't compromise on taste. It's also impressive how these healthier alternatives can be so satiating - I used to think unhealthy snacks were the only way to curb cravings!

These days, I'm really into dehydrating fruits and veggies for a crunchy fix. Have you tried them before? They're such convenient snacks, and you can prepare a big batch ahead of time. I love the variety too - from apple chips to kale crisps!
Yes! I have tried dehydrating apples slices and banana chips, which seem to be a healthier alternative to curb cravings for something sweet and crunchy. Preparing these yourself is also unexpectedly easy with the help of an oven or a dehydrator, and it's quite satisfying to make your own crispy fruit snacks. I bet kale crisps would be a good substitute for potato chips too, got to try that soon!

• Love
Reactions: musical

Yes Dehydrated foods are handy and fun to make, though it took me some practice to get them just right. Getting the right crispness without charring the fruits or veggies can be tricky, but oh-so satisfying when they turn out crunchy and flavorful. I like to sprinkle a bit of sea salt on my deerated pineapple slices - adds a lovely savory twist to snacking on sweet treats.

I find that dehydrating excess produce is a great way to save money too, as I often buy in bulk when they're in season, then dehydrate what we don't immediately eat. It's also easier to convince my tot to eat them because they're like crunchy snacks!

Reactions: bookworm
Yes Dehydrated foods are handy and fun to make, though it took me some practice to get them just right. Getting the right crispness without charring the fruits or veggies can be tricky, but oh-so satisfying when they turn out crunchy and flavorful. I like to sprinkle a bit of sea salt on my deerated pineapple slices - adds a lovely savory twist to snacking on sweet treats.

I find that dehydrating excess produce is a great way to save money too, as I often buy in bulk when they're in season, then dehydrate what we don't immediately eat. It's also easier to convince my tot to eat them because they're like crunchy snacks!
It's rewarding preparing these snacks yourself, and I like how you add a savory twist to sweet treats - sea salt on pineapple slices sounds interesting! Dehydrating excess produce is a clever way to save money and reduce food waste too. Good on you!

I find that these crispy, crunchy snacks also make for great toddler treats - much healthier than the usual sugary options, and moms seem to appreciate them at playdates too.

Your dehydrated snacks sound delicious! I especially love the idea of adding sea salt to pineapple - what a tasty savory twist.

Preparing your own snacks is such an excellent way to control ingredients and ensure healthy, tasty treats. It's a wonderful option for tot's too - yes! Healthier options are always winner, and I'm sure the moms appreciate the change from sugar-filled alternatives.

Thank you so much! Dehydrating fruits and veggies is an easy and fun way to make tasty treats. I've found that adding a savory kick to snacks can really elevate them and get tot's excited about eating healthy options - the pineapple with sea salt is my current fave! So good.
Have you tried making any fun snacks lately?

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thank you so much! Dehydrating fruits and veggies is an easy and fun way to make tasty treats. I've found that adding a savory kick to snacks can really elevate them and get tot's excited about eating healthy options - the pineapple with sea salt is my current fave! So good.
Have you tried making any fun snacks lately?
I just got back from my weekly grocery run and am excited to try making soy milk rice cubes this weekend. It's a recipe I've had bookmarked for a while, using homemade or store-bought soy milk, and it seems like the perfect portable snack. Just a few ingredients and a couple of steps, but the results look impressive!

That sounds delicious! I've never heard of soy milk rice cubes before, but I'm definitely intrigued - it's always exciting to discover new recipes :) What other ingredients does the recipe call for, besides rice and soy milk? Do you just season it with salt and pepper, or add any spices/herbs too?

Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnydays
It's a pretty interesting concept isn't it! The recipe is actually quite versatile - you can add in veggies like carrots and peas, some protein like chicken chunks or tofu, and spices to suit your tastebuds. I usually go for curry powder, garlic and a bit of soy sauce, but it's fun to experiment.

I'll let you know how the soy milk rice cubes turn out!

That does sound like fun - and healthy too with all the add-ins! Can't go wrong with a good old curry powder and garlic. I think the soy milk rice cubes will work out great; they have a nice, subtle flavour that'll go well with all the other additions.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!

That does sound like fun - and healthy too with all the add-ins! Can't go wrong with a good old curry powder and garlic. I think the soy milk rice cubes will work out great; they have a nice, subtle flavour that'll go well with all the other additions.

Looking forward to hearing about your experiments!
Letting you know in advance, I might be raving about them or have a epic fail but either way, it's gonna be interesting! Have a wonderful afternoon!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu