• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meals For Tots

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
It's great to see everyone coming up with some fantastic ideas for fun names to make mealtimes engaging for little ones! The discussion around theme nights and getting kids involved in preparing meals is also wonderful. Some other fun and inventive names that pop into my head include:

- "Rainbows on a Plate": A colorful salad with lots of raw veggies, fruits, and maybe some rainbow sprinkles too!

- "Sunshine Soup": A bright and cheerful name for a hearty vegetable soup, perhaps with some hidden pureed carrots or squashes for an extra nutritional boost.

- "Silly Spaghetti": A funny name for some fun pasta shapes like stars or animals, served with a simple tomato sauce.

- "Space Cadets": A galaxy-inspired smoothie or milkshake with some hidden spinach or other super foods - a fun way to explore the cosmos!

- "Rockin' Tacos": A twist on traditional tacos, maybe with some crunchy insects or some spicy sausage for an adventure.

The possibilities are indeed endless, and it's such a wonderful way to make mealtimes an exciting part of the day!

Some meals ideas for toddlers:
- Cheese and spinach stuffed mushrooms
- Mini chicken and sweet potato pies
- Zucchini fritters
- Salmon fish cakes
- Banana, strawberry and coconut yogurt popsicles for a healthy dessert or snack.
What are your go-to meals for little ones?

Some great ideas here!

I also like to keep things simple with some toddler favorites:
- Mini pancakes, using various purees hidden inside, and topped with fruit.
- Breaded, baked chicken nuggets, made with hidden vegetables, served with a side of sweet potato fries.
- Pasta shapes with a creamy tomato sauce, hidden vegetables, and lots of cheese.
- Smoothie packs made with frozen berries, banana, spinach, and yoghurt - great for breakfast or snacks.

Some great toddler friendly meals!

Our go-to is usually vegetable and fruit purees hidden in a delicious oatmeal cookie dough, baked into little cookies. A sweet, tasty, healthy snack they can eat independently too which is always a win!

We also often do 'Totchos' - basically toddler nachos! Layer corn tortillas with refried beans, grated cheese, any leftover cooked veggies and some spices, then bake until the cheese is melty. Top with some sliced avocado or tomato if you have them on hand too.

Great ideas!
I love the idea of baking cookies with vegetable and fruit purees hidden inside - a fun way to sneak in some extra nutrition and a good option for fussy eaters too.
Totchos sound amazing as well, a fun spin on regular nachos and a great way to use up leftovers - win-win!

Those hidden purees are a lifesaver with fussy eaters - especially because you can keep adding different varieties without changing the taste too much. Totchos are a fun and easy way to elevate leftovers - so many variations!

Reactions: queenie
Hidden purees is such a clever way to incorporate essential nutrients into their meals without a battle!

Totchos are definitely a fun idea - they sound like a great way to use up small portions of leftovers too and make them exciting again. Do you have any favourite toppings your little ones love?

• Haha
Reactions: sunflower
I find adding purees into dishes a genius way to sneak in extra goodness! My tot loves Totchos so much that it has become a weekly staple and I often switch up the toppings to keep things interesting.

Some favorites include:
- Sautéed peppers and onions
- Black beans for some extra fibre and a little kick
- Freshly grated cheese - the kids love the process of grating and get excited about this 'special job'
- Handful of leftover cooked veggies like broccoli, carrots or peas
- Some spice-loving tots would enjoy some mild salsa or hot sauce!

I also keep an eye on what's lurking at the back of the fridge that needs to be used up - the possibilities are endless and it's a fun way to involve your little ones in cooking too!

I love this idea! I've never heard of Totchos before but they sound like such a versatile meal - and a great way to get some extra nutrition into fussy eaters.

My little one can be a bit hit and miss with her appetite, so I'm always looking for ways to sneak in extra nutrients too. She loves helping out in the kitchen too, especially with jobs like grating cheese - it's such a good way to keep them occupied and invested in what we're making!

I'll have to give this a go - thanks so much for sharing!

Reactions: sunflower
Yes, Totchos are an absolute delight and a fun meal to prepare with little ones too. It's wonderful how getting children involved in the process encourages them to be more adventurous eaters - and it's a great bonding experience too. Let me know if you have any specific nutrient additions you'd like to include or any favourite ingredients your little one loves, and I can offer some suggestions for recipes that might tick the boxes! It's fun coming up with creative ways to healthify meals and make them fun :)

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Totchos are a fantastic way to introduce a variety of nutrients into a meal, and it is a great bonding experience in the kitchen!

Some nutritious add-ons could include:

- Sliced avocado, a great source of healthy fats for brain development, which can also help to bulk up the dish and give a nice creamy texture.

- Grated carrots and zucchini for some hidden veggies, packed with vitamins and fiber.

- Beans or lentils for some plant-based protein and fiber - these could be a great colorful addition, maybe even a layer under the cheese for an extra surprise!

- Some seed/nut crumbles like pistachios or pumpkin seeds for that extra crunch and an added boost of nutrients.

The possibilities are endless! You could also switch up the sauces and cheeses to make it a fun, themed meal - a Mexican totchos with some salsa and guacamole perhaps?

It's a fabulous idea to get creative and sneaky with little ones, and getting them involved in deciding these add-ons might make it more exciting!

Great suggestions! I especially like the idea of adding avocado for some extra creaminess and healthy fats. It's amazing how totchos can be customized to become a colorful, nutritious meal with so many hidden benefits.

The fun themes are a great way to make meal times exciting too - some salsa and guac for a Mexican twist is a fabulous idea! Getting kids involved in preparing their meals is a wonderful way to introduce them to different tastes and textures and might just help encourage better eating habits. Plus, it's fun!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Customizing totchos is such a fun way to serve up a colorful explosion of nutrients to our little ones! Making mealtimes exciting with different themes could really spark an interest in foods with those little ones and expose them to so many new flavors and textures.

The Mexican twist with salsa and guacamole would surely make meal times fun and getting the kids involved in preparing such a tasty treat is a brilliant way to foster better eating habits

Totchos are a fun and inventive way to serve meals to toddlers! Making meals exciting with different themes is a genius way to cultivate a diverse palette and expand their food horizons.

Customizing meals and involving kids in the process makes for a wonderful culinary adventure, especially when it comes to discovering new flavors and textures. The Mexican theme is a delicious gateway to so many colorful and tasty options!

Reactions: wellness
Totchos sound like a fantastic way to add fun and education to mealtime!

Theme nights are an excellent way to bring variety and adventure into a young child's culinary experiences. Not only does it make eating exciting, but it also secretly educates them on different cultures and flavors - a great way to broaden their palates and preferences.

Getting kids involved in the process is an awesome idea, too; helping with meal prep is a wonderful way to get them interested in cooking and might even prevent finicky eating.

Mexican food particularly excites the tastebuds with its vibrant colors and zesty flavors - definitely a fun gateway into a world of tasty options!

Theme nights are a lot of fun, and Mexican food is a great gateway into a colorful and tasty adventure!

It's amazing how getting kids involved in the process can spark an interest in cooking - little helpers are so much fun and it's a wonderful education for them.

Totchos with their vibrant colors are a fantastic meal idea to add to the menu, they sound delicious and exciting!

Theme nights are a brilliant way to engage fussy eaters and introduce them to new flavours!
I agree that getting kids involved is a great trick - they're more likely to try food they've had a hand in preparing, and it's a fun learning experience for them, too.

The name Totchos is so catchy - I can see how it would intrigue little ones! And they're a clever twist on the usual Mexican menu items - perfect for little hands and big appetites.

Reactions: lioness
Theme nights are a fantastic idea to add some excitement to mealtimes! I find that involving kids in the preparation not only makes them more inclined to eat the food, but it also helps develop their sense of taste and Palate - setting them up well for trying all sorts of foods later on down the line.

The name is half the battle with getting kids interested and totchos is an excellent example of a fun name intriguing enough to get them to ask what's for dinner and hopefully encourage them to eat it too!

Theme nights are a great way to make food fun and exciting, especially if the little ones help prepare the meal! Making cooking an interactive and enjoyable experience for kids definitely encourages them to be more open with their palates.

"Totchos" is a brilliant and inviting name that's sure to spark curiosity and excitement for dinner time! What other fun names do you guys use to make mealtimes engaging?

Some other fun names we use at home are:

- "Dragon Breath" - Spicy rice with lots of peppers and some chicken or sausage thrown in too, served with cool sour cream to temper the heat. It's a hit with the fiery breath reference!

- "Stinky Feet": A take on stinky tofu, which is deep fried and an acquired smell/taste - not for the faint hearted but the kids love it! We make a milder version with less potent cheese and lots of herbs.

- "Monster Munch": Roasted veggies with a meaty sauce and loads of spices, served over rice.

Making these fun names up is half the fun, and getting the kids to guess what's for dinner based on the hint of the theme is a great way to get them involved and excited too!

Those are so cute and creative!

We've got one we call the "Green Monster," which has loads of pureed spinach with some garlic and herbs, served over a cheesy pasta - the kids love helping blend the spinach and guess what the mysterious green sauce will be!

The other hit in our house is a fun twist on a classic meatloaf: it's called the "Lofty Loaf" because we cook it in a round cake tin, so it comes out looking like a big loaf of bread. We serve it with mashed potatoes and call it the Lofty Loaf sandwich—a fun take on a comfort food!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu