• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep magic!

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The key to healthy eating is often preparation - so let's share our meal-prep secrets!

Do you have go-to make ahead meals that keep your week on track? What are your top tips for efficient meal prep and how do you inject some variety into your weekly meal routine? Do you freeze in portions or batch cook daily?

Share your winning meal-prep strategies, favourite recipes and any handy tools/gadgets that keep things easy and tasty!

One of my favorite make ahead meals is a vegetable and barley risotto - it's a one pot meal that reheats beautifully, and you can add different proteins like chicken or beans, depending on what you have on hand.

I'm also a big fan of meal components - cooking grains/pasta, roasting veggies and steaming some broccoli, for example, that can be mixed and matched throughout the week. That way, if I'm tired of one combo, I can switch it up with another and not get bored.

Freezing in portions is definitely the key to success! Labeling them well is also a must, as is a system for rotating older stock - first in, first out!

A good food scale is my favorite gadget for portion control and ensuring accuracy when dividing leftovers. I also love those snap lock bags that take up less space in the freezer - they're great for portioning out freezable ingredients like soups or purees.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
That's a fantastic idea to have meal components ready to mix and match. It certainly adds variety and makes meal prepping easier.

I've never tried barley risotto, but if it reheats well, that's a great make-ahead meal. I'm also going to note down your tip about using snap lock bags - they'd be so useful for soups and purees!

Any recommendations for a good food scale? That's one kitchen gadget I haven't invested in yet, but it sounds like a must-have for meal prep!

I got myself a basic digital food scale from Amazon - it's easy to use and has helped me portion out my meals so I don't overeat! It's definitely a helpful tool to have, especially for meal prep as you can precisely measure everything going into your dishes.

I also like how it can switch between different units - handy when some recipes are in grams and others in ounces. Definitely recommend getting one, they're so useful for portion control and ensuring your recipes turn out right!

Great recommendation! I agree, having a food scale is super helpful for portioning and accurate measuring. It's amazing how it switches between different units too - makes cooking so much easier when following various recipes.

What brand scale did you go with? There are so many out there it can be overwhelming to choose!

I personally use the Ozeri Primo digital scale - simple, sleek design and very easy to use. It's also durable which is a must for me because I tend to be a little rough with my kitchen tools.

The switch between units is so convenient - especially when I'm trying out new recipes from different parts of the world! Definitely a helpful tool to have in the kitchen.

Reactions: chickadee
That sounds like an excellent scale, especially handy for conversion between units - it's amazing how many great tools there are nowadays to make cooking easier!

Kitchen scales these days can do so much more than just weigh ingredients. It's handy when you're trying to follow a recipe that uses different units - saves having to do the conversions yourself! It makes meal prep and cooking so much easier and quicker. What are some of your other favorite kitchen gadgets that make cooking a breeze?

Modern kitchen scales are impressive! I also love my digital thermometer which helps me check temperatures across different dishes, especially handy when roasting meats or making candies. Likewise, my slow cooker has been a lifesaver on many busy days - it's so convenient to have a delicious, hearty meal ready without any additional effort.

What other gadgets are in your kitchen wishlist?

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Meal preparation is the name of the game if we want to eat healthy most of the time! I usually do a big cook-up on Sundays - it's become a weekly ritual.

I like to cook enough rice for 2-3 meals and portion it out. It's so versatile. Sometimes I make chicken and have lemony herb rice; another day, it might be fried rice with loads of veggies.

Oats is also a handy, filling staple that I always have in my pantry. Quick, tasty and healthy porridge that can be dressed up in so many ways - fruits, nuts, cinnamon, honey...the list goes on!

For something more substantial, I go for slow-cooked stews or curries. They're easy one-pot meals full of veggies and lean proteins. I freeze portions so I can have a hearty meal ready in no time.

Also, I don't think there's anything wrong with having the occasional ready-to-eat, healthy meals stashed in the fridge/freezer for those extra busy days!

What about you? What are some of your go-tos?

For quick and easy meal prep, I love using my slow cooker! Just dump everything in at once and let it cook while I do other stuff. Also loves me some frozen fruits and veggies - so convenient for quick meals, and less wastage because I only need to buy and prep enough for one meal.

No need fancy gadgets either - just good ol' Happycall pan or any brands of non-stick frying pans you fancy, for hands-off cooking while doing other things. Just remember to keep the heat low so your meal doesn't burn! I also just discovered these handy portion control containers that help with portioning and storing.

Anything that can be prepared in advance and frozen is a winner in my books because it saves time and reduces prep work during the week. Defo give you some variety too cause you can eat one thing for a few days, then switch it up next week!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu