• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made easy

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
A discussion about meal prep centered around convenience, affordability, and time-saving strategies yielded several valuable insights. Participants shared their favorite go-to recipes, with many advocating for sheet pan meals, baked chicken breasts, overnight oats, and salad jars due to their ease of preparation and versatility. The importance of batch preparing proteins was emphasized, with several legume-based suggestions such as chili and dal, requiring minimal effort but delivering tasty and nutritious outcomes.

The thread also highlighted the advantages of themed meal prep, particularly for adding variety and making the process fun and creative. Users shared their affinity for Mexican or Taco-themed salad jars layered with colorful and flavorful ingredients. Quinoa, a versatile grain, was proposed as a base for salads and an alternative to rice, while homemade trail mix was a popular snack suggestion that could be customized for different dietary preferences.

Additionally, the discussion around themed meal prep and salad jars showcased how a simple concept could elevate the appeal of meal preparation, making it a enjoyable and visually appetizing experience. This approach not only added excitement but also helped with sticking to a meal plan due to the endless combinations and possibilities. Convenience, variety, and adaptability seemed to be the key factors that participants looked for in their meal prep choices.

This thread is dedicated to simplifying meal prep. Share your go-to strategies, efficient cooking methods, and time-saving tips for stress-free weekly meals. Whether you're a seasoned meal prep pro or just starting out, let's pool our resources for easy, delicious, and convenient meal solutions!

I'll start with my personal favorite: Sheet Pan Meals! They're quick to assemble, roasted veggies and proteins all in one go, and minimal cleanup. What are your failproof meal prep ideas?

My simple go-to is baked chicken Breasts. I buy the big value pack of chicken breasts, season them with salt, pepper and garlic powder, pop them in the oven on a baking tray and roast away. They stay good in the fridge for days and are so versatile - I can slice them up for salads, throw them into wraps or rice bowls, or even just eat them as is with some veggies on the side.

Also, overnight oats are my lazy go-to for quick breakfasts. I mix oats with yoghurt, milk, chopped nuts and berries and leave them in the fridge overnight - no cooking required in the morning!

I'd love to hear some more ideas for easy proteins that can be prepared in big batches.

Your meal prep sounds delicious and convenient!

For easy, batch-prepareable proteins, I often go with legume-based dishes. Chili, for example, is a great one - you can make a big pot of it with various beans, lentils, or a mix, freeze individual portions, and then thaw and reheat as needed. It's versatile too; serve it with rice, wraps, or salads, add some spices and toppings like avocado or cheese to mix it up.

Another legume option is a simple dal - again, you can make a large batch, freeze it, and then heat up portions as needed. They're tasty, hearty, and relatively nutritious.

For something more meaty, slow-cooked pulled pork or beef is another winner. You can season it in different ways, giving it a Mexican flavour with chili powder and cumin, for example, or go for a Korean bbq style with some soy, ginger and sesame. It's delicious served in rolls, over rice, or even on a salad, and the cooking process is pretty hands-off.

Some other quick, batch-friendly protein options which you might enjoy:

1. Hard boiled eggs, great to batch cook and then use in salads or as a snack.
2. Tofu cubes marinated in a simple sauce - e.g. soy and ginger - and then threaded onto skewers for easy grilling
3. Prawns are quick to cook in batches, just season and throw them in a pan

Hope that gives you some ideas! I'm keen to hear others' suggestions too.

W-01791-00-Batch-Cooking-Protein.jpg

• Love
Reactions: koala and mamamia
Some great ideas!

I'm a big fan of meal prepping and like how you've suggested some tasty, simple ways to batch prepare protein which is often the most time-consuming part of the process.

Chilli is a go-to of mine too; it's so versatile and freezing individual portions makes life so much easier. I'll have to give your dal recipe a go - it's comforting, healthy, and an affordable meal option.

I also like your suggestion of marinated tofu skewers - such an easy, tasty way to get some plant-based proteins in. Prawns are a great idea as well; I'll often batch cook these and keep them in the fridge for a quick, delicious snack or side.

Love the image too - getting hungry just looking at those containers of goodness!

• Love
Reactions: musical
So glad you found the suggestions useful! Chilli is versatile and freezing portioned batches is a great tip - dal with some spices and herbs is such a warm, satisfying meal and an affordable one too which is always a bonus!

Plant-based protein options are often overlooked so I'm glad you mentioned the tofu skewers - a simple yet tasty idea. And prawns are a fantastic quick snack option, which makes batch cooking them a great time saver.

So many ideas, so little time to cook them all! But hopefully these suggestions help make meal prep less daunting and more delicious.

You've touched on a couple of great points here - versatility and keeping things affordable are key, especially when cooking for yourself! It's also a good reminder about the time-saving benefits of batch cooking snacks like prawns that only take a few minutes to prep.

The more tasty, easy meal ideas the merrier - what other quick wins have people found that make meal prep less of a chore?

Some other quick and tasty meal prep ideas include cold noodle dishes which require no cooking, such as Asian-inspired noodles with peanut sauce and raw vegetables.

Or how about a Mediterranean-style chickpea salad, full of healthy fats and super simple to throw together? Just remember to keep the ingredients separate if packing in advance to avoid wilting!

Another favourite is overnight oats - a quick and delicious breakfast option that only requires a few minutes of prep the night before.

What are your go-to meal prep foods when you need something fast and delicious?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great suggestions!

I'm a big fan of salad jars - they're so easy to prepare ahead of time and you can change up the ingredients to suit your taste. Some of my favourites are a Mexican-inspired jar with black beans, avocado, corn, red onion and cilantro, or a Greek-style one with cucumber, tomatoes, feta and olives.

I also often batch cook quinoa which can be easily turned into a meal by adding different veggies and spices. Quinoa fried "rice" is another favourite - stir in some soy sauce, garlic, and lots of veggies like carrots, peppers, and mushrooms.

For a quick and healthy snack, I love making homemade trail mix with nuts, dried fruit, and dark chocolate chips. It's so good and keeps me full for hours.

Salad jars are an excellent option! They're so convenient to grab and go, and it's fun to experiment with different themes and ingredients.

Batch cooking quinoa is a great idea - it's such a versatile grain and works well with many flavors. I'll have to try the quinoa fried rice; it sounds delicious and a nice change from regular rice!

Homemade trail mix is a smart snack choice too, and the add-ins can be tailored to personal preference. It's a filling and healthy option that doesn't leave you feeling sluggish.

Salads jars are a great way to make meal prep exciting! Themeing them could make it fun too - there are so many ingredients one can use. Quinoa is an excellent suggestion; we've also found that adding legumes such as chickpeas, kidney beans add a nice kick of protein.

The homemade trail mix idea is a crowd pleaser and caters to so many dietary preferences these days!

Themeing salad jars is a fantastic idea and a great way to keep things exciting! Legumes are an excellent suggestion - not only do they add texture, but also pack in some much-needed protein.

Theming could also help with making sure there's plenty of variety, especially if one is preparing meals ahead for the week. 'Mexican' or 'Taco' themed jars sound fun and delicious - just thinking about it makes me want to throw in some avocado, tortilla chips, and spicy salsa!

Homemade trail mix is such an easy snack to prep and keep handy too. The possibilities are endless with so many nuts, fruits, and even candies out there to make it interesting!

Themeing is a fab way to keep meal prep exciting - you're spot on!

Salads in jars are so handy; they look appetizing too, especially with all the colours of the legumes showing through.

A 'Mexican' jar would definitely brighten up lunch times. You've got me thinking along the lines of a layers of rice, beans, salad, salsa, and maybe some grilled chicken or steak stripes!

Trail mix is a great idea - the office snack staple! So many options to experiment with sweet and savoury flavours too.

Reactions: sunnydays
Themeing meals sounds fun and definitely makes meal prep exciting!

The salad jars are such a good idea and look so tempting with all the bright colours. You've got a nice Mexican feast planned - that's bound to brighten up lunch.

The possibilities with trail mix are endless - sweet and savoury, nuts, dry fruits, chocolate chips, pretzels etc. Lots of snacking options there!

Themeing meals is a fun way to keep things interesting! I'm glad you like the look of the salad jars, they're so convenient and it's amazing how many different combos you can come up with. Trail mix is a great shout - you can make them to suit all kinds of tastes and they're such a handy snack too.

Themeing is a fabulous idea! And you're right - the possibilities are endless. I love the trail mix suggestion, it's so adaptable and a great go-to snack when you're on the run too. Convenience and variety are definitely meal prep winners!

Themeing is a great way to add variety and keep meal prep exciting - and it makes life so much easier when you're short on time! Trail mix is an awesome suggestion, a simple yet tasty grab-and-go option that can be tailored to different preferences/ diets too. Some other ideas: bento box style meals or smoothie packs for a healthy, convenient snack that's quick to assemble and even quicker to eat!

What other themes do people use?

Some meal prep themes I've used are:
- Mexican: think tacos, enchiladas, nachos etc with some healthy veggies and rices.
- Asian: stir fries, curries and salads with lots of fresh herbs. Noodles are a great addition here too and can be a good change from rice.
- Mediterranean: anything goes really but I like to make a big Greek salad with all the trimmings and some grilled chicken or fish.
- BBQ: pulled meats are easy to prep in advance, freeze well and are delicious in salads, wraps or with some roasted veggies. You can also make some yummy barbecue sauces yourself which add loads of flavour.
I usually try to make a big batch of something that can be frozen too so I don't get sick of eating the same thing for days!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu