• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made easy

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Several users shared their meal prep techniques and favorite timesaving tips. Frozen vegetables, pre-cooked grains and marinated proteins are popular go-to options for easy meals. Prepackaged portions of dressings and pastes are also convenient. Users also recommended batch cooking proteins like chicken, turkey or vegetarian bean burgers, which can be frozen for later. Roasted vegetables and simple salads are great sides that keep well in the fridge. Storing meal ingredients separately in portion sized containers ensures food stays fresh longer and saves preparation time. Meal prepping saves time and money, keeps food fresh and healthy, and helps with organization and health goals.

Quick and delicious meal prep tips and tricks!

Share your go-to meals, time-saving techniques and favourite containers here! Let's make meal prepping easy, tasty and fun.

Some great frozen veggies to bulk up meals are a good go-to. I also like to keep some bags of precooked rice/grains and steamed veg in my freezer - great for when you've forgotten to defrost something or are short on time!

My other timesaver is having a few portion controlled containers with individual servings of dressings, pastes etc that I use frequently - that way I can just grab one and add some flavour without needing to make a big batch.

Also, precooked marinated proteins - just pop into the oven for 20mins or so are great!

I'm a big fan of frozen vegetables too - they're such an easy and nutritious way to bulk up meals, especially for those who are short on fresh produce.

The preportioned containers idea is a good one as well! I find it so annoying having to dish out tiny portions of sauces or pastes from big jars, so this would be a great timesaver.

I also like the concept of precooked marinated proteins - are there any particular ones you'd recommend? I'm keen to try some new things and see what works for quick meals!

Reactions: koala
For marinated proteins, some of my favourites are:

- Korean-style bulgogi beef - it's so tasty and goes well with rice and veggies. Just heat and serve!
- Lemon herb chicken breasts - they're a handy staple to have in the fridge for quick meals and work well in salads or wraps.
- Moroccan spiced beans/chickpeas are a great plant-based option too, full of flavour and again, so easy to use as a side or in wraps etc.

So many good options to stock up on! I'd also recommend checking the labels for any hidden salts/sugar too, some brands have loads added which is a bit of a hidden danger!

Some great options there!

I'm a big fan of a good marinated chicken breast - so handy to have in the fridge for those busy nights. Also love the idea of the Moroccan beans/chickpeas - a good source of plant-based protein too which is always a bonus.

Any recommendations for easy sides to bulk prep that will keep well in the fridge? Looking to switch up my go-to salad!

plant-based-recipes-1-1.jpg

Some simple roasted veggies could work well as a side - things like carrot, parsnip, sweet potato, regular potato all roast beautifully and keep well in the fridge for a few days. You could even batch cook some grains like brown rice or freekeh which will keep well and go with pretty much any protein you might fancy. Roasted broccoli and cauliflower are also delicious and healthy sides that tick the boxes you've mentioned!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
Great suggestions! Love the idea of batch cooking grains - they're so versatile and go well with so many different dishes. Roasted veggies are a healthy, tasty option that can be easily prepped ahead of time.

Any other ideas for quick and easy meal prep?

Batch cooking proteins - like baked chicken, ground turkey or vegetarian bean burgers - are also a great go-to. You can freeze them after cooking so they'll last longer and can be pulled out as needed. Pair with grains and roasted veggies for an easy, healthy meal that's ready in minutes.

I also like to keep simple salads on hand - chop up some cucumbers, peppers and other firm veggies and store them in the crisper. Then all you have to do is toss them with some greens and your favourite dressing when it's time for lunch or dinner. They stay fresh longer than you'd think and are a nice, light meal prep option.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
That's a great idea! I'm always struggling to prepare meals ahead of time because they never seem to stay fresh long enough. Freezing them is a brilliant way to make sure they last longer and it's so easy to just grab something from the freezer and know that it'll still be good.

I usually end up meal prepping salads too, but I find that after a day or two the lettuce gets kinda gross, so I'll have to try out your method of storing the salad ingredients separately!

Salads are a tricky one - keeping the ingredients separate is a good way to keep them crunchy and fresh! I find storing them in portion-sized containers helps too, everything stays much fresher that way.

Storing individual portions is such a timesaver! It also helps me because I tend to eat more healthily when I can just grab a ready-made meal - otherwise, I'm too tempted to order takeout! I'm lazy when it comes to prepping veggies, so this method ensures I always have something healthy at hand.

That's so true! It's such a handy system - having healthy food conveniently available really helps with making healthier choices. It's also great how much time it saves too; you're not spending each day figuring out what to cook or prep, it's already done! Just grab and go!

It's all about making life easier! No more stressing over meal choices, which is especially handy when you're short on time. Plus having nutritious meals readily available keeps the temptation to order takeout at bay - a win for your health and your wallet!

Meal-prepping is a life saver! It saves you from the hassle of deciding what and how to cook after a long day, and also prevents unnecessary spending on takeout. Not to forget, it's a healthy habit too - knowing exactly what goes into your food is reassuring and helps maintain a healthy diet.

Meal prepping is definitely a great way to stay on top of your health and fitness goals! It's amazing how it keeps you organized and saves so much time and money. I find that planning my meals ahead also helps with grocery shopping - it's so much easier to stock up on ingredients when you have a clear idea of what you're cooking.

It's such a time saver! And definitely helps with portion control too, especially if you're trying to stick to healthy meals and not overeat. Planning ahead is key - once you get organized, it all falls into place.

Totally! It's amazing how much time and effort can be saved by spending a little extra time on meal prep. And having everything planned and prepared really helps with healthy eating, especially when you're trying to avoid the temptation of takeaway food or unhealthy snacks. What are some of your favourite foods to meal prep?

benefits-of-meal-planning-alt-1440x810.jpg

I love using meal prep containers to make healthier versions of fast food classics -- chicken nugget meal prep containers are a favourite, with some pics showing the different foods stored separately ready for work lunchtimes! Also anything you can load up with veggies - stir frys, curries and chillies are great because they're so versatile - you can use the same base recipe and switch up the protein or herbs/spices to give them a totally different flavour. Plus they're usually one pan dishes which makes for minimal washing up!

Those sound delicious, especially the chicken nugget containers - like a fun, healthy fast food takeaway option you can easily make at home!

I'm a big fan of meal prep too and often do a large batch cook on a Sunday to see me through the week. I find it really helpful to have portioned out lunches ready to go, especially on busy days.

My go-to is usually a chilli or stew - so easy to bulk out with extra veggies and they freeze and defrost well too. I've also been playing around with some one pot pasta dishes recently which are super easy and tasty too - basically just throw everything in the pot and boil! The minimal washing up is a big sell for me, especially on days when I'm already running behind schedule!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu