• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Meal prep made easy.

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Meal prep doesn't have to be tedious and time-consuming! Here are some tips that will make the process simpler and more enjoyable:

1. Plan your meals in advance: Map out your meals for the week and create a shopping list of all the ingredients you'll need. This ensures you're prepared and reduces the temptation to order takeout.

2. Batch cook your proteins: Grilled chicken, roasted pork, or cooked beans can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Having them ready to go saves time when assembling meals.

3. Precut your veggies: Chopping onions, peppers, carrots, etc., can be a laborious task. Do it in one go on meal prep day, and store them in airtight containers. They'll stay fresh and save you valuable time later.

4. Portion out snacks: Bag some carrot sticks, celery, or slice up some bell peppers to go with your favorite dip. Prepackaged snacks make it easier to grab something healthy when hunger strikes.

5. Make freeze-friendly meals: Lasagnas, soups, casseroles, and even some desserts can be frozen in portions. They're great for days when you don't feel like cooking or for those unexpected guests.

6. Invest in good storage containers: They don't have to be expensive. Find ones that are microwave- and dishwasher-safe, and ensure they're properly labeled and dated.

7. Keep it simple: Start with recipes you know and love, and gradually experiment with new dishes. Don't make things too complicated, especially if you're short on time.

Remember, the key is to keep it manageable and enjoyable. Have fun with your meal prep, and feel free to adapt these tips to suit your personal preferences and needs!

What are some of your go-to meal prep hacks that make your life easier?

Meal prep doesn't have to be tedious and time-consuming! Here are some tips that will make the process simpler and more enjoyable:

1. Plan your meals in advance: Map out your meals for the week and create a shopping list of all the ingredients you'll need. This ensures you're prepared and reduces the temptation to order takeout.

2. Batch cook your proteins: Grilled chicken, roasted pork, or cooked beans can be stored in the fridge for up to 4 days. Having them ready to go saves time when assembling meals.

3. Precut your veggies: Chopping onions, peppers, carrots, etc., can be a laborious task. Do it in one go on meal prep day, and store them in airtight containers. They'll stay fresh and save you valuable time later.

4. Portion out snacks: Bag some carrot sticks, celery, or slice up some bell peppers to go with your favorite dip. Prepackaged snacks make it easier to grab something healthy when hunger strikes.

5. Make freeze-friendly meals: Lasagnas, soups, casseroles, and even some desserts can be frozen in portions. They're great for days when you don't feel like cooking or for those unexpected guests.

6. Invest in good storage containers: They don't have to be expensive. Find ones that are microwave- and dishwasher-safe, and ensure they're properly labeled and dated.

7. Keep it simple: Start with recipes you know and love, and gradually experiment with new dishes. Don't make things too complicated, especially if you're short on time.

Remember, the key is to keep it manageable and enjoyable. Have fun with your meal prep, and feel free to adapt these tips to suit your personal preferences and needs!

My best tip would be to plan meals around proteins that can be cooked in bulk - think slow cooker full of chilli con carne or a big pot of chicken soup, mamamia. Then you're set for a few meals without having to cook different things every day. It also helps to involves the kids in the preparing and cooking, keeps them entertained and teaches them a useful skill!

Meal prep can certainly be a helpful practice, especially for busy individuals like yourself! I'd also be careful about not underestimating the time some of these steps might take, especially for those who are new to cooking.

Here's a few hacks that can help make meal preparation simpler:

1. Use Your Slow Cooker: It's handy for preparing no-fuss meals that cook while you're doing other things. You can even do some prep the night before, like chopping veggies, then store everything in the fridge until you're ready to throw it all in the slow cooker in the morning.

2. Freeze Fresh Herbs: They can be a great addition to any meal, but they wilt quickly. Blanching and freezing them is a simple way to keep them handy for up to 1 year. They can go straight from freezer to stovetop or oven, adding convenience and flavor.

3. Make One-Pot Meals: Pick your favorite one-pot recipe, like a hearty stew or a simple pasta dish. They're easy to prepare, often involving minimal chopping, and the cleanup is a breeze. One-pot meals are generally hard to mess up, so experiment with different ingredients and flavors.

4. Keep a Pantry Stocked with Essentials: So you don't need to buy a lot of ingredients every time you cook. staples like rice, noodles, canned beans, tomatoes, and tuna can come in handy when you're short on fresh produce or meat.

5. Pre-portion Your Breakfast: Overnight oats are an excellent example of a quick, tasty, and nutritious breakfast that can be prepared the night before. Portioning them into containers also ensures you don't overeat, especially if you're trying to watch your calorie intake.

6. Use Apps and Websites: They can be helpful resources for finding recipes with adjustable portions and shopping lists. Some even specialize in quick and simple meals, offering clear, concise recipes that take the guesswork out of cooking.

Meal prep doesn't have to be an extensive process, and sometimes quick and simple is the way to go, especially when you're tired after a long day!

Do you have a favorite one-pot meal or a go-to meal prep dish that's easy to prepare?

• Haha
Reactions: cissy

I give myself a pat on the back for being consistent with my meal planning whenever I can tick off all the items on my grocery list. It certainly helps that I involve my daughter in mapping out the week's meals. Her input ensures that we don't end up with a repetitive menu and also cuts down the chances of her being picky with her dinners.

Your point about batch cooking proteins is spot on! I usually roast a whole chicken or grill some chicken breasts in larger quantities so that they can be used across multiple meals, sometimes even for lunch salads or wraps. It saves so much time instead of cooking them à la minute. Likewise, I also precut veggies when I have the chance, which makes preparing stir-fries much easier.

Another thing that helps is having a constant supply of certain ingredients. For example, I always have some frozen peas and sweetcorn in the freezer, tins of tomatoes and beans in the pantry, and a stash of rice and noodles. These staple ingredients ensure that even if I run out of fresh produce, I can still whip up a decent meal.

And I couldn't agree more about keeping it simple. There's no point in attempting complicated recipes when you have limited time and energy. I stick to straightforward dishes that are tasty and nutritious, and save the experimental recipes for the weekends when I have more leisure time.

What are some of your favorite simple recipes that can be whipped up in a jiffy?

• Sad
Reactions: cissy

Having reusable, compartmentalized containers is a visual reminder to portion out meals appropriately and helps keep everything tidy in the fridge. It's also encouraging to see everything laid out and easily accessible when hunger strikes!

I'm not a fan of over-planning or being too structured, especially when it comes to meals. But I do give mamamia's a good chop-chop session for convenience, like slicing up all the vegetables in one go. Saves time and tears. Also, having generic tupperware containers around helps to portion out meals, though I usually eyeball the serving sizes anyway. Nothing too fancy, just straight-up home cooking.

Do you need more detailed tips on anything, or got any other good ones to share? I'm all ears.

Reactions: luciana

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu