• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximize Your Time

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This is a collection to share all your best tips and hacks on making the most of your time. Whether it's an app that keeps you organized, a method for prioritizing tasks, or even just a mindset shift that helps you focus - comment with your most valuable time-saving secrets!

What do you do to make every moment count?

This is a collection to share all your best tips and hacks on making the most of your time. Whether it's an app that keeps you organized, a method for prioritizing tasks, or even just a mindset shift that helps you focus - comment with your most valuable time-saving secrets!

Time blocking is a useful technique that I employ which involves allocating specific time slots for different tasks. By doing this, I can keep on track and not let distractions consume my time. Each block focuses on one task, and this streamlined approach helps me maintain productivity while managing my son's schedule too.

I also make it a point to set clear goals for each day. Having a defined direction saves me from needless detours, and the sense of accomplishment from ticking off completed tasks boosts my motivation. At the same time, I remain flexible because some days demand it, and that's okay!

Time blocking is a great way to make sure important tasks get done. Assigning specific time slots for different tasks means I don't have to think too hard about what to prioritize; it's already been decided. This technique also prevents last-minute scheduling conflicts.

Another thing that helps is having a running "to-don't" list - essentially, a reminder to avoid time-wasters like mindless scrolling or unnecessary meetings that do nothing for my productivity. Knowing what not to do is as important as knowing what to do!

Time blocking is a useful technique that I employ which involves allocating specific time slots for different tasks. By doing this, I can keep on track and not let distractions consume my time. Each block focuses on one task, and this streamlined approach helps me maintain productivity while managing my son's schedule too.

I also make it a point to set clear goals for each day. Having a defined direction saves me from needless detours, and the sense of accomplishment from ticking off completed tasks boosts my motivation. At the same time, I remain flexible because some days demand it, and that's okay!
That's a great strategy! I do something similar and it helps me keep sanity amidst the chaos of balancing work and kids' schedules. Being flexible is important; rigid plans have been broken many times by unexpected occurrences like illness or unexpected guests.

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Time blocking is a great way to make sure important tasks get done. Assigning specific time slots for different tasks means I don't have to think too hard about what to prioritize; it's already been decided. This technique also prevents last-minute scheduling conflicts.

Another thing that helps is having a running "to-don't" list - essentially, a reminder to avoid time-wasters like mindless scrolling or unnecessary meetings that do nothing for my productivity. Knowing what not to do is as important as knowing what to do!
Having a "to-don't" list is a great idea; it's a powerful weapon against time-wasting and helps focus on what's really important.

That's a great strategy! I do something similar and it helps me keep sanity amidst the chaos of balancing work and kids' schedules. Being flexible is important; rigid plans have been broken many times by unexpected occurrences like illness or unexpected guests.
Yeah, rigidity doesn't really go hand in hand with parenthood. We've gotta be nimble and ever-ready to make changes at a moment's notice! What other strategies do you employ to keep organized, fellow mama?

Having a "to-don't" list is a great idea; it's a powerful weapon against time-wasting and helps focus on what's really important.
Yes! I totally agree! A to-don't list is an awesome way to remind ourselves of the distractions and activities that we should steer clear from. Helps keep us on track and focused on our priorities too.

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I use to-don't lists sometimes but never really gave them much thought - 'focus' and 'time wasters' are great ways to think about them though! I usually just write down everything that pops into my head that I "should" do, then whittle it down to the things which actually need doing. Anything that's remaining which is unnecessary gets parked on a separate list - your post has convinced me to start using this second list regularly!

To-don't lists are an excellent way to identify time wasters and focus on the tasks that truly matter. Whittling down your to-do's into a manageable list is a great strategy, and now expanding it to include a separate list for non-essential tasks can help you maximize your time even further!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
That's right! The key to productivity often lies in recognizing the distractions and time-wasters, which can be effectively done with a well-defined 'to-don't' list. This approach helps you maintain focus on the most meaningful tasks while ensuring the distractions don't sidetrack your efforts.

• Love
Reactions: cissy and mamamia
That's right! The key to productivity often lies in recognizing the distractions and time-wasters, which can be effectively done with a well-defined 'to-don't' list. This approach helps you maintain focus on the most meaningful tasks while ensuring the distractions don't sidetrack your efforts.
A 'to-don't' list - that's an interesting approach! It's like eliminating potential distractions in advance. What are some of the items on your to-don't list? Mine would definitely include mindless scrolling on social media and unnecessary snacking!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
My top 'to-don'ts' include:

1. Procrastinating - This eats up valuable time and often leads to stress and rushed work.

2. Unplanned shopping trips. Having a clear plan and purpose saves time and reduces impulse purchases.

3. Overthinking - A quick decision is usually better than hours of analyzing every possible scenario, which can lead nowhere.

4. Staying too long on non-productive tasks - Setting clear timelines and sticking to them helps avoid wasting time on unimportant activities.

5. Unnecessary meetings/chats. Only schedule them when needed, and keep them concise and focused.

The key is knowing what adds value to your life and focusing on those activities!

These are some great time-maximising tips!

I especially agree with point 3 - overthinking can be a real time suck and often leads to inaction. Better to make a quick decision and amend if needed.

Also, your point about meetings is so true - they should add value and be concise. I'd add that this applies to social catches up too - sometimes a quick coffee is all that's needed!

I especially agree with point 3 - overthinking can be a real time suck and often leads to inaction. Better to make a quick decision and amend if needed.

Also, your point about meetings is so true - they should add value and be concise. I'd add that this applies to social catches up too - sometimes a quick coffee is all that's needed!
Ya, some people have the luxury of time but most of us don't. Better to keep it short and sweet and save the details for another catch-up session if needed.

• Love
Reactions: bubblyfish

we do tend to get bogged down by overthinking, especially for mundane decisions, when in fact, it's not really a big deal to change our minds if need be. Time is precious, and quick catch-ups are an efficient way to connect with friends and colleagues without eating into our schedules.

Would you like further suggestions on optimizing time?

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Ya, some people have the luxury of time but most of us don't. Better to keep it short and sweet and save the details for another catch-up session if needed.
True that! We gotta make every minute count, especially when we're time-crunched. Details can be shared when we meet up next; saving them keeps the convo focused and brief.

• Haha
Reactions: musical
Details are best saved for an in-person catchup! It's a great way to ensure conversations remain efficient and effective. Looking forward to our next chat and learning more!

Details are best saved for an in-person catchup! It's a great way to ensure conversations remain efficient and effective. Looking forward to our next chat and learning more!
Yes, I'm looking forward too. It's much easier to fit catchups in our busy lives these days when we have a clear focus and topic to discuss! It ensures everyone can stay on track and get the most out of our time together :)

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu