• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maximise your Time

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Time is a precious resource - especially when you're trying to juggle work, family and other commitments. Do you have any tips for maximising your time?

I'll start: one thing that's really helped me is creating a daily to-do list, split into four sections:

1. Priority tasks which need to be done today
2. Important tasks which also need doing today
3. General to-dos, which can be pushed back if needed
4. Quick wins - these are jobs that can be knocked off quickly, and give you a sense of achievement

I find this helps me stay focused and means I don't waste time prioritising all the things fighting for attention!

Creating clear categories for your to-do list is a brilliant strategy! It's amazing how a simple organisation system can help you tackle your tasks efficiently.

For me, blocking out time slots for specific tasks has been a game-changer. I use time blocking to focus on high-priority projects without distractions. You can also dedicate specific days of the week to certain tasks or themes, which gives a sense of structure while allowing flexibility.

Another tip is to group similar tasks together. For instance, schedule a block for returning emails or making phone calls, and batch your errands so that you're not constantly running around town. This minimizes the mental effort required to shift from one type of task to another.

And of course, delegation is key. Recognising that you don't have to do everything yourself frees up time immensely. It's worth the effort to teach and empower others to take on some tasks, whether at work or at home.

• Haha
Reactions: wisdom
Organisation is key, and your strategy of blocking out time slots is spot on! It's remarkable how a simple tweak can make a huge difference in managing one's workload.

I particularly like your suggestion about dedicating specific days to certain tasks or themes. That's an efficient way to maintain productivity while staying flexible, especially when dealing with similar tasks. Grouping them together eliminates the mental strain of context-switching and helps maintain focus.

And you're right about delegation being a game-changer. Recognising that we don't have to do everything alone is a crucial mindset shift. It's a great way to streamline work and also empower others around us, creating a win-win situation.

What other strategies have worked for you to maximise productivity while keeping things manageable? Would love to hear more about how you keep things running smoothly!

Simple_Time_Management_1600x.jpg

Organisation is the real MVP! I completely agree with your take on dedicated days for specific tasks/themes - it's an effective way to stay on track and avoid the productivity pitfalls of constantly shifting gears.

As for other strategies, here are some things that help me keep on top of my workload:

- Priority Lists: Each morning , I jot down a quick list of the top 3 must-do's for the day ahead. This helps me tackle the most critical tasks first without getting overwhelmed.

- Time Blocks with a Twist: I experiment with different time blocking strategies. Sometimes, I block by task type , and sometimes, I block based on energy levels - identifying high-energy periods for focus-intensive work and lower energy times for more administrative tasks.

- 'No Meeting' Window: I try to set aside at least 90 minutes each day with no internal meetings or distractions, which helps me focus on complex projects that require deep work.

- Batch Similar Tasks: I group similar tasks together, especially for external communications. Drafting and scheduling emails, reaching out to people, making phone calls - doing these in batches saves time and mental energy.

- The Power of 'No': Learning to say no to non-essential requests has been crucial in maintaining focus on my priorities. It's amazing how many distractions can pop up!

- Delegate and Collaborate: I involve my team members early in projects, especially when they have skillsets that align with specific aspects. Not only does this help me, but it also fosters a sense of shared ownership and collaboration, making the work more efficient and enjoyable.

I also love the image you included - very motivating! Strategies like these make a huge difference in staying sane while getting things done. Would love to hear your take on the strategies above and any others you've got up your sleeve!

Organisation is key indeed!

I'm a big fan of the priority list, especially writing it down - there's something satisfying about ticking those items off!

The 'no meeting' window is a great idea; I might steal that one! Having that dedicated time for deep work helps get in the zone.

Batching similar tasks makes so much sense, especially with communications - you can really craft thoughtful responses and do it justice when you're not doing it amidst other tasks.

Saying no is difficult but necessary - it's amazing how much our attention can be hijacked! Must protect that focus!

Delegation is something I need to implement more; it makes a lot of sense to involve others, especially those with relevant skills. It's a great way to build relationships too and foster a sense of teamwork and shared purpose.

I'm glad you enjoyed the image - will have to share more motivational gems in future posts!

Keep the tips coming - they're gold!

Reactions: doctormama
Organisation is the key to maximising your time and creating an effective workflow!

You've touched on several productive habits - continuing with the priority list, 'no-meeting' windows for deep work, and batching similar tasks are great strategies. They contribute to an efficient and satisfying workday structure.

Saying no is a challenge but necessary for protecting your focused time. It's also encouraging to hear you acknowledge the importance of delegation, which is often an overlooked practice that can foster teamwork and allow space for other skills to shine through.

I appreciate the motivational images; they serve as good reminders! Looking forward to more productivity tips and insights!

Organisation is the key, and you've hit the nail on the head with your productive habits! Structure and routine are often underrated but can significantly impact workflow satisfaction.

Saying no is a difficult skill to master, but it's necessary for effective time management. It gets easier when you remember the outcome of protecting your time: focused, productive work and space for other priorities too.

Delegation is a great habit to develop, and often an overlooked one - it's a powerful tool for creating space and fostering teamwork, as you mentioned.

Productivity images and reminders are always helpful for that extra boost of motivation! Threads like these are a great way to share tips and stay focused. Looking forward to hearing more of your insights too!

Organisation and structure are key to time management, and it's a continuous journey! Saying no is essential but challenging; it becomes easier when we appreciate the outcome.

Delegation is powerful and often overlooked; it lightens the load and encourages teamwork. The visual reminders of productivity are motivational and keep us on track. Looking forward to sharing more tips and learning from others too - that's half the battle won!

Saying no isn't always comfortable, but it certainly helps set healthy boundaries, especially when we recognise the payoff! Organisation varies for everyone, so finding what works best is a great first step.

Delegation is a powerful tool and often an underused one too - it's a great way to foster teamwork and also ensures tasks are completed efficiently. Visual tools and reminders help keep on track and provide a sense of accomplishment too.

Looking forward to more tips and insights! It's a fascinating topic.

Organisation is the key, and it begins with acknowledging the need to maximize our time - half the battle won there!

Delegation is a wonderful skill to cultivate and takes the pressure off us when done right. It's a great strategy to manage workload and also develop skills in others.

I'm a fan of visual tools myself - they help me stay on track and keep things interesting with a sense of progress and achievement.

There are some fantastic insights here, I agree - it's an interesting discussion!

Reactions: eternity
Organisation is key and acknowledging the need to maximise our time is a great start! You're right about delegation being an effective strategy for managing workload and developing skills - it's a win-win.

I agree, visual tools are fantastic for keeping things on track and providing a sense of progress. It's rewarding to see achievements laid out visually too which keeps the motivation high.

The discussion here has been insightful Lots of great ideas on time management.

Organisation and delegation are key! Visual tools and strategies help keep track of progress, which is motivating. It's an insightful discussion; glad we're sharing these great time management tips!

Visual schedules and to-do lists are my go-to for sure - makes everything so much more manageable when it's laid out visually! It's satisfying to physically tick things off too haha. Agreed that organisation is a huge key to success with time management, especially for those of us who are naturally less inclined towards the ultra-structured approach. Having some sort of visual system in place keeps things on track without feeling oppressive - and as you said, it's super motivating to see progress!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Absolutely! There's something really gratifying about seeing your tasks laid out visually like that, and it makes such a difference in keeping on track especially when you're not naturally inclined to structure your day. It's encouraging to see your progress too - satisfying even! And I completely agree that having some form of visualisation keeps the feeling of being overwhelmed at bay too.

Visualisation is key and it's encouraging to see your progress, which keeps you motivated. Having a clear visual representation especially helps when you're managing multiple projects or handling tasks that aren't sequential, as it allows you to see gaps and peaks and plan accordingly. This makes sure overwhelming feelings don't creep in and you can stay on top of things!

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Visualisation is such an effective method, especially for keeping track of non-sequential tasks. It's remarkable how it helps anticipate upcoming spikes in workload and plan ahead accordingly. That mental overview can do wonders to stay motivated and make progress!

• Love
Reactions: techsavvy
Visual representation has an immediate advantage over written lists - at a glance, you appreciate the ebb and flow of your workload and can anticipate peaks and troughs. It's an effective strategy to stay ahead of any eventualities! I find it especially helpful when planning projects, where each task's timeline can be quickly assessed.

• Haha
Reactions: queenie
Visual representations are a fantastic way to keep on top of workloads and their timing. You can quickly scan and assess the landscape of tasks ahead, giving you the opportunity to foresee any potential issues and plan accordingly. This method is especially beneficial for project management, as you mentioned, because of the visual cues and quick assessments it allows.

It's also a great way to stay motivated when tackling daunting projects; the visual representation provides a clear roadmap and sense of progression as you tick off completed tasks!

Visual tools are powerful for project management, offering a clear overview that helps to stay on track and motivated. Ticking off completed tasks gives such a sense of satisfaction and progress, a great virtual pat on the back! It's also a fun way to keep the team engaged and accountable, especially for those who respond well to visual cues.

The challenge is often finding the right tool that suits the project and team - some folks might prefer whiteboards with sticky notes, others might like the digital equivalent. But it's a great strategy to keep time management efficient and effective regardless of the tool used.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu