• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to buy during pregnancy can be so overwhelming - especially if it's your first! What are those must-have items you ladies found useful throughout your pregnancy that made your life easier? I'm curious to hear what they are and why - down to the specific features that made them a winner in your books.

Leggings, especially the high-waisted kind! They're super comfortable and can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion. I also found that a few loose, flowy dresses came in handy - easy access for when you need to pee and they're cooling in warmer weather.

I'd also recommend a good pregnancy pillow - I got one that supported my bump and helped me sleep comfortably on my side. It was a life-saver! And of course, a few good, supportive bras are essential. I went for ones that had some stretch to them and weren't underwire.

Also, not forgetting snacks! Keeping high-energy, nutritious snacks on hand helped me so much - especially in the first and third trimesters when my energy levels were all over the place.

Lastly, a good pregnancy app or journal. I loved keeping track of the weekly changes and developments, and it made it fun to keep up with what was going on inside my growing belly!

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Great thread! Agreed on the leggings - they're a lifesaver and so versatile! I lived in dresses too, especially wrap ones that grew with the bump.

I also second the pregnancy pillow tip - such a comfy addition and well worth the space it took up!

Snacks are an excellent idea; I found having small, healthy treats to hand helped keep my energy levels stable. Always good to be prepared!

I wasn't an avid journaler but do wish I'd kept a more detailed record of the experience - those apps are a fantastic way to track progress and a fun keepsake too.

Leggings and dresses are versatile and a must-have! They're such comfortable clothing options throughout pregnancy.

The pregnancy pillow is a fantastic idea for extra comfort, especially as bump grows. Snacks are an absolute essential to keep energy levels stable - healthy treats are a much better option than reaching for unhealthy alternatives.

I wish I'd kept a journal too - those apps are great for tracking progress and having a record of the little details! It's lovely looking back on them afterward too, so worth the effort.

• Haha
Reactions: doctormama
Leggings were my go-to throughout pregnancy! So comfy and easy to dress up or down.

I also lived off snacks - mostly healthy ones, but treated myself every now and then too - it's good to keep your energy up and keep a variety of treats on hand to curb those cravings.

I regret not keeping a journal too. I started an app but never kept up with it. Would've been lovely to look back on now - bump brain makes it hard to remember the early stages!

Reactions: stargazer
Snacks are so important - you're right about keeping your energy up, and also keeping cravings at bay with some treats! I kept a journal which was wonderful to look back on, wish I'd kept it more regularly like you said! I'll add those to the list as must-haves!
Leggings are such a staple too - comfy but also make you feel put together which is great when you're feeling so many other changes.

I'm so glad you agree about the snacks! It's true what they say about pregnancy cravings - better to have some treats at hand than give in to take-out every time! A journal is a lovely idea, it's so nice to look back on too and note down all those precious little memories. I found that even just jotting down a few lines each day helped me - especially on the days when I was feeling a bit down, it helped me keep track of the positives.

Leggings are an absolute wardrobe staple for comfort but also style - I felt so much better when I could 'dress up' a comfortable outfit and still feel put together!

I'm so glad you agree about the snacks! It's true what they say about pregnancy cravings - better to have some treats at hand than give in to take-out every time! A journal is a lovely idea, it's so nice to look back on too and note down all those precious little memories. I found that even just jotting down a few lines each day helped me - especially on the days when I was feeling a bit down, it helped me keep track of the positives.

Leggings are an absolute wardrobe staple for comfort but also style - I felt so much better when I could 'dress up' a comfortable outfit and still feel put together!
It's true; leggings can make you look and feel fancy even though you're prioritizing comfort. Snacks are crucial to keep that pregnancy craving monster at bay! It sounds like you've had plenty of experience with this, so you're probably going to be able to give the expecting mothers an insightful run-down on what to prepare for in terms of cravings.

Are there any other items that expectant moms should have on their lists?

For comfort and style, leggings are a must! As for snacks, I'd suggest stocking up on a variety of healthy options and treats to satisfy those cravings - you never know what you'll want!

Other essentials include a comfortable and supportive bra, maternity dresses or tops that grow with your bump, and an easy-to-use nursing shawl for once the baby arrives.

Don't forget the less obvious items like a pregnancy pillow, which can be a godsend for comfort during those later stages, and also a few pairs of shoes with good support - you'll need them as your feet may swell.

And of course, always useful to have a list of essential contact numbers - your OBGYN, paediatrician, and a few reliable emergency contacts. Expecting mothers can never be too prepared!

• Haha
Reactions: bookworm and wisdom
Great suggestions! I'd also recommend a couple of pairs of maternity jeans - they're so comfy and can be dressed up or down. Also, for those who are yet to experience swollen feet, it's definitely something to prepare for! I found that some comfortable sandals or slides with plenty of straps were my go-to during the last trimester, as my feet swelled so much that I had to size up.

On the topic of clothing, I also lived in loose, flowing skirts - they're great for the hot days when you're feeling bloated and uncomfortable, and can be layered up or down depending on the weather.

And it's always a good idea to have some entertainment lined up for those long nights, whether that's a kindle stocked with books or a laptop for movie marathons. Something to keep yourself occupied while you're up feeding is a great idea!

• Love
Reactions: wellness and joyful
Thank you for the tips! I've been wondering what footwear would be best for the later stages - sandals or slides sound like a godsend for swollen feet.

I'm also noting down the skirt recommendation; it's a great idea to have an adaptable, comfortable option for those hot, uncomfortable days (which I'm experiencing right now!). I feel like I've got an ever-growing wardrobe of dresses and skirts at the moment as they're just so easy to throw on!

Entertainment for those long nights is a great point too - I've been compiling a list of books and movies to get ready for some me-time during feedings. It's good to keep occupied, especially if it's your first baby and you're learning the ropes.

• Love
Reactions: queenie and musical
For footwear, I'd go with slides/slippers - something easy to slip on and off but also supportive. Comfort is key!

I found skirts and dresses so useful in my third trimester and after the birth - especially maxi dresses which you can wear over your bump or once baby has arrived. So comfy and they keep you cool too, plus you can easily dress them up or down.

I'm all about being prepared with entertainment for those long nights, good on you for getting a head start on that list! It's definitely worthwhile having some distractions ready because those night feeds can be a blur otherwise (especially as your eyes are likely to be blurry from lack of sleep!). I found podcasts great too as you don't have to keep your phone or tablet lit up which helps with the whole sleep/wake cycle.

Great tips!

I'd also recommend investing in some house coat/robe that's easy to throw on, is comfortable and looks presentable enough for any unexpected visitors (like the midwives!)... because the last thing you want is to have to think about what to wear when you're being discharged from hospital! I loved my slides so much that I practically lived in them during pregnancy and still wear them now - it's amazing how your footwear preferences change once comfort becomes the priority!

I also found podcasts helpful for those night feeds - or even audio books. My partner was also good at finding me some good comedy shows to watch, which helped keep my mood up through all the feeding/cluster feeding.

What other entertainment are you thinking of including in your lineup?

Reactions: mamamia
Some great additional suggestions!

I agree that something comfortable and easy to throw on is a must-have - especially if it's something you can continue wearing after giving birth. It's so true that comfort becomes a top priority; I lived in slides too - even when walking outdoors - and cozy, loose-fitting clothing.

Podcasts and audiobooks are an excellent idea for keeping entertained during night feeds. I'm thinking of adding some comedy specials and feel-good movies to the lineup for some light entertainment. Something to look forward to during those long nights!

Some great additional suggestions!

I agree that something comfortable and easy to throw on is a must-have - especially if it's something you can continue wearing after giving birth. It's so true that comfort becomes a top priority; I lived in slides too - even when walking outdoors - and cozy, loose-fitting clothing.

Podcasts and audiobooks are an excellent idea for keeping entertained during night feeds. I'm thinking of adding some comedy specials and feel-good movies to the lineup for some light entertainment. Something to look forward to during those long nights!
It's so fun making these plans! It's like preparing a survival kit - which is essentially what it is haha. You're doing a great job helping expecting mothers prepare for the realities of pregnancy, childbirth and beyond - it's such an exciting (and somewhat daunting!) time.

Are you compiling a baby bag must-have list too, with all the necessities to keep handy when out and about with the little one?

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu