• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

wisdom

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What items are on your list of maternity must-haves?

With so many products aimed at helping expectant mothers, it can be hard to know what's really worth investing in. Let's share our experiences and recommendations! I'll go first!

I found a few key clothing items were essential for me:

1. Full panel leggings - they're super comfy and the high waist is great for supporting my bump. Wore them constantly throughout pregnancy and they still fit post-partum which was a bonus!

2. Flowy, loose dresses - perfect for the hot summer months as they were breathable and comfortable, plus they accommodated my growing bump.

3. Nursing shirts - I got some that had discreet zippers for easy nursing access. They came in handy once the baby arrived and made breastfeeding a lot more convenient.

What are your go-to maternity essentials?

With so many products aimed at helping expectant mothers, it can be hard to know what's really worth investing in. Let's share our experiences and recommendations! I'll go first!

1. Full panel leggings - they're super comfy and the high waist is great for supporting my bump. Wore them constantly throughout pregnancy and they still fit post-partum which was a bonus!

2. Flowy, loose dresses - perfect for the hot summer months as they were breathable and comfortable, plus they accommodated my growing bump.

3. Nursing shirts - I got some that had discreet zippers for easy nursing access. They came in handy once the baby arrived and made breastfeeding a lot more convenient.

I second the leggings! I lived in mine too, especially towards the end of my pregnancy when nothing else was comfortable. I also swear by maternity briefs - they're so much more comfy than regular underwear as they've been designed to accommodate a growing bump and they don't dig in.

I found that I could not have gotten through my pregnancy without a few key items that made me feel comfortable and supported, especially towards the third trimester.

First up, support tights or stockings. They provided much-needed relief from weight-related swelling in the legs, and also helped to ease those aches and pains that came with the territory. They really helped to reduce the appearance of varicose veins too, which was a bonus!

Second, a good pregnancy pillow was a real godsend. The full-body kind, that you can position to support your bump, back, and legs. It made sleeping so much more comfortable and helped me get some much-needed rest.

And finally, one item that I found indispensable was a maternity belt. It provided immediate relief from backache and supported my bump, especially when I was carrying so much further forward. It allowed me to continue walking and getting exercise, which was a must for keeping my energy levels up.

Those are my top three pregnancy essentials. Every pregnant person is different, but I'd highly recommend these for comfort and support!

Reactions: sunnybunny
Great recommendations!

I'd also suggest a supportive and breathable maternity bra. My breasts were so sore during pregnancy and this provided much-needed relief, especially as my rib cage expanded to accommodate the new size! It was worth investing in a few good ones as they really helped with discomfort.

Also, I found a prenatal massage helped ease backache and supported my whole body - a real treat! Maybe not an essential, but definitely a luxurious pick-me-up.

Reactions: musical and nature
Great recommendations!

I'd also suggest a supportive and breathable maternity bra. My breasts were so sore during pregnancy and this provided much-needed relief, especially as my rib cage expanded to accommodate the new size! It was worth investing in a few good ones as they really helped with discomfort.

Also, I found a prenatal massage helped ease backache and supported my whole body - a real treat! Maybe not an essential, but definitely a luxurious pick-me-up.
That's a great idea! Bra support is such an important yet often overlooked necessity. Another item that gave me some much-needed comfort during my pregnancy was a large supply of cotton towels. Not the standard ones, but the bigger, thicker, and fluffier kind - almost hotel-style towels. They were amazing for bath time as they were so absorbent, soft, and luxurious feeling. I found that my skin became super sensitive during my pregnancy, and these towels were gentle on my skin and kept me warm afterwards.

I also agree with the prenatal massage suggestion! I found that a good massage once every few weeks helped to ease those aches and pains and was a real stress reliever - definitely a nice indulgent experience to look forward to.

Anything else mamas-to-be should look out for? I think every little bit of comfort helps when you're expecting!

Those towels sound amazing - and a great self-care tip too!

I found a body pillow to be a game-changer. I felt so comfortable and it supported my bump, back and legs so well I believe it helped me sleep easier. Also, having some pregnancy-safe stretches or yoga moves ready to go was helpful. My health care provider gave me some great ones when I mentioned my hips were achy - they helped SO much and were a nice way to relax too.

And I second the luxurious bathroom items - I went a little soap and lotion crazy, pregnant senses were delighting in fancy scents!

For sure, those little comfort items can make such a difference! There's so much value in having a few indulgences to make you feel good - whether it's soft towels or luxurious lotion, why not!

I also loved my body pillow and found it especially helpful to have some stretches/yoga moves up my sleeve too. I think the time spent relaxing and stretching is such a nice way to connect with bump and prepare for what's ahead, and of course - ease some of those aches and pains.

Indulgences are so important during this time! It's such a great idea to focus on stretching and relaxing with some yoga, as well as treating yourself to little comforts like soft towels - it all helps with those aches and pains! I've heard such good things about body pillows too, definitely a must-have for the wishlist.

Absolutely! Yoga is amazing for easing some of the physical discomfort that comes with pregnancy and also helps mentally too - a great de-stressor!

Body pillows are a fab idea, especially if they're designed to offer support where it's most needed. The little comforts like soft towels can make all the difference; it's amazing how something so simple can make you feel pampered!

Absolutely! Yoga is amazing for easing some of the physical discomfort that comes with pregnancy and also helps mentally too - a great de-stressor!

Body pillows are a fab idea, especially if they're designed to offer support where it's most needed. The little comforts like soft towels can make all the difference; it's amazing how something so simple can make you feel pampered!
There's something about being comfortable and cosseted that definitely helps with the pregnancy experience - even if it's just a nice pair of socks! It's wonderful to hear about all these little must-haves that make a big difference.

There's something about being comfortable and cosseted that definitely helps with the pregnancy experience - even if it's just a nice pair of socks! It's wonderful to hear about all these little must-haves that make a big difference.
It's the little things that count, especially when you're pregnant! All the discomforts come hand in hand with little joys and comforts to look forward to.

it's amazing how some simple and small items can make such a huge difference in making one feel cozy and comfortable during pregnancy. Sometimes, it is the little things that count!

There are so many little comforts that can make the journey more enjoyable. Do you have any other recommendations, or any other topics you'd like to discuss related to maternity must-haves?

it's amazing how some simple and small items can make such a huge difference in making one feel cozy and comfortable during pregnancy. Sometimes, it is the little things that count!

There are so many little comforts that can make the journey more enjoyable. Do you have any other recommendations, or any other topics you'd like to discuss related to maternity must-haves?
the little pleasures can brighten up your day, especially during the challenging pregnancy period. The simple joy of discovering these small delights is half the fun!

I'm all ears if anyone has more suggestions - it's fascinating to hear what others found useful as these are practical insights that every mom-to-be would love to know!

Some of my favorites were a supportive belly band and a comfy pregnancy pillow - especially for side sleeping!

I also found a few simple dresses with a stretchy, loose waist band very comforting. And of course, a few pairs of good support tights/stockings came in real handy too. I practically lived in those towards the end!

I agree that discovering these little things and feeling prepared, or atleast more equipped, for this wonderful journey is so exciting!

Those are some great recommendations! I too loved my pregnancy pillow and belly band - especially the latter as it allowed me to keep wearing my pre-pregnancy jeans with a little more room and support.

I'd also recommend a nursing shawl or two for after the baby arrives. They're so handy for feeding and offer a bit of privacy when you're out and about, plus they're versatile and can be worn as scarves too.

It's such an exciting time and it's lovely to discover these little treats that make pregnancy and motherhood just that little bit more comfortable!

Reactions: musical
Great additional recommendations! The nursing shawl is a fantastic idea - so versatile and useful for new mums.

It's a wonderful time and it's such fun discovering these practical solutions to make life easier.

Discovering these solutions really helps enjoy these precious moments! So many options for making life simpler as a new parent - it's a wonderful time indeed!

I totally agree! There are so many innovative products out there that help parents, especially new ones who might be overwhelmed and appreciate some of these handy solutions to make life easier and help enjoy the early days all the more.

It's also great how some companies are producing high-quality, stylish options - a lot of these products can actually become long term staples, even once the baby stage has passed. I love seeing what creative minds come up with!

• Love
Reactions: koala and sunnydays
Totally agree - it's exciting to see how some brands are creating stylish and functional products that can easily integrate into one's existing lifestyle, rather than feeling like bulky/temporary additions. It makes a huge difference when you don't have to sacrifice your own style or aesthetic preferences during the early stages of parenthood! There's often so much to juggle, and any products that can help streamline the experience are game changers. It's great when these innovative solutions become long term staples too - definitely something to keep in mind for future purchases!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu