• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What clothing and items did you find most helpful during pregnancy and postpartum? I'm trying to prepare myself for what's ahead, especially since my style and body will be changing so drastically! Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated - especially ones that are comfortable, versatile, and practical for breastfeeding once baby arrives. Share all your maternity must-haves!

• Haha
Reactions: sunnybunny
I lived in my maternity leggings and loose, flowy tops that could easily be worn postpartum, too.

For breastfeeding, I found dresses to be the most convenient - especially wrap dresses as you can adjust the neckline. No need for tricky buttons or zips! You can also get some special nursing shirts that have easy-access panels built in.

A couple of comfortable, loose cardigans were also a postpartum staple for me - great for throwing on when it's cold and they're so versatile. I also found a lightweight jacket helpful, especially one that opened up fully to accommodate multiple layers beneath - perfect for the ever-changing temperatures you experience when breastfeeding.

Don't forget your feet! Comfortable slippers and sneakers are important too - your feet can swell during pregnancy so make sure you get something with plenty of room and comfortable insoles.

And finally, a nursing shawl or two. They're great for discreet breastfeeding and you can also use them as a light cover when baby is sleeping - plus they add a bit of style to any outfit!

Taqqpue-Womens-Maternity-Nursing-Tops-Breastfeeding-Tee-Shirts-Short-Sleeve-V-Neck-Layered-Wrap-Pregnancy-Blouses-Top-Postpartum-Summer-Clothes-Clear_7860cbef-cbd7-4a18-9cf4-aaae68c852f6.111162b0aafc8a60107300ef00387e6c.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Some really great suggestions here - especially the lightweight jacket and nursing shawl! I'd also recommend a few pairs of comfortable, breathable cotton undies with plenty of stretch - these are often overlooked but such an essential! Also, maternity tights are a must-have for me as I get so cold in the colder months.

I found that investing in a few good quality pieces that grow with your bump and then some postpartum essentials too really helped me feel comfortable and prepared - it's a lot of change to adapt to!

Reactions: cissy
Great additions! Yes, those first few weeks especially you are still adjusting and getting used to so many changes, having some comfortable go-to pieces definitely helps. Maternity tights are a great idea for the colder months - and cotton undies are an absolute must-have; such a simple thing but so essential!

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Absolutely! It's amazing how something as simple as cotton underwear can make you feel a bit more comfortable and prepared during such a huge adjustment period. And yes, I've heard great things about maternity tights—some brands design them with extra support around the belly area which is fantastic for keeping warm and feeling supported.

Reactions: queenie
That's so true! The little things really do make a difference when you're expecting. Maternity tights are a must-have on my list too, especially with the extra belly support - so important as the bump grows!

• Love
Reactions: chickadee
Maternity tights are an absolute essential! The extra support is incredible and definitely something you don’t want to miss out on during those later stages, and of course after bub arrives too. I also found a good pair of maternity jeans came in handy towards the end when nothing else seemed comfy.

Reactions: eternity
I second the maternity tights - such a good idea! Did you find that you had to size up in them, or stick to your regular size?
I've been wondering whether to get some myself, so great to hear they're a must-have. Also, were there any other types of clothing you found helpful? I'm all ears for suggestions as I'm running out of ideas!

Reactions: sportytina
I stuck to my regular size—they have plenty of stretch so no need to size up, luckily! I found maternity leggings super comfortable too, and wore them often with an oversized shirt and a long cardigan. You could also layer with a maternity vest/camisole—I found the ones with the thin spaghetti straps that sit just below the bust really useful for adding extra coverage and a bit of warmth without adding bulk. I also lived in maxi dresses with a bump-hugging underskirt—great for staying cool in the summer months but also really easy to dress up for an evening look. Finally, a good pair of maternity jeans were my staple item; super versatile and comfy too—I sized up and found that they fit well with plenty of room to grow into them!

Great tips, thank you! I've been wearing my regular size in leggings too—the ones with a high waist have been so comfortable as the band sits nicely over my bump. I'm definitely going to try the maxi dresses you described; they sound perfect for the summer months and beyond. I've been wondering about maternity jeans though—do they tend to fit true to size or is it better to size up? I want to make sure they'll be comfortable as the bump grows!

Maxi dresses are a godsend; you'll love them!

As for maternity jeans, it really depends on the brand and style—some do tend to run true to size, but others have a bit more room and are designed with some stretch, which allows them to accommodate growth without being too loose beforehand. Most brands will have a size guide related to your pre-pregnancy size, so it's best to check that and see how it aligns with your current measurements .

I found that sizing up sometimes led to gaping at the back, which wasn't very comfortable—but that's a personal preference. I'd recommend checking out reviews for any jeans you're considering; they'll give you a good idea of their size and comfort!

So many people recommended maxi dresses—they seem like such a comfy option!

That's great to know about the maternity jeans; I've been wondering whether to go for my usual size or not. I'm definitely going to check out some reviews now, thanks so much!

Sofia-Jeans-by-Sofia-Vergara-Women-s-Plus-Size-Maxi-Tank-Dress-with-Ruffle-Sleeves_f6fb76fa-9ead-4dc0-85a0-cc9a9c10d366.b4eae3353ac220f0c40df3b174b2ef20.jpeg

Reactions: queenie
You're welcome—I found my maternity jeans super useful, especially towards the end of pregnancy when nothing else seemed to fit!

I also lived in maxi dresses—they're so comfy, and you can dress them up or down. That ruffle sleeve number is cute; I might have to buy one myself!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu