• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What are some of your maternity must-haves?

I'm curious to hear what essential items you lovely ladies found most useful and comforting during pregnancy - especially for the first trimester!

I'm eager to prepare myself (as much as one can!) for the unexpected, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. TMI is definitely not a problem here, the more details the better! Share your mama essentials!

For me, comfortable clothing was a priority during the first trimester as I felt constantly tired and bloated. Loose-fitting pants with a stretchy waist were a godsend, and I lived in those for months!

Also, pregnancy pillows were a huge help in making me feel more comfortable while sleeping. I had a hard time getting situated but found that hugging a full-length pillow really helped ease back discomfort.

Finally, I couldn't get enough of ginger candies or chews during those early months. They helped settle my queasy stomach and the sweetness was a nice pick-me-up when nothing else sounded appealing.

Those were my first trimester essentials that got me through some tough weeks! Would love to hear what others found helpful too.

Comfortable clothing and support for tired, aching bodies is so important during the first trimester!

I also relied heavily on loose-fitting attire - specifically leggings with a lot of stretch. They were comfortable and made me feel secure as my body was changing so quickly.

I didn't discover pregnancy pillows until later on but wish I'd had one earlier -- they look like such a back pain saver!

As for ginger, it was a total lifesaver for me too, especially in the form of ginger tea. It's such a soothing, comforting flavour and helped ease my nausea so much more than crackers or biscuits.

Also, I found myself constantly thirsty, but couldn't stand the thought of drinking plain water. Fruit-infused drinks were a real craving of mine and helped me up my fluid intake.

Those first few weeks can be such a challenge, it's great to hear what helps others get through it!

• Haha
Reactions: techsavvy
I found the pregnancy pillow a godsend too - I felt so supported and it took pressure off my back when sleeping.

Yes, I was also thirsty all the time and struggled to drink plain water. I found frozen fruit ice cubes a nice additive - especially frozen strawberries! It made it a lot more fun and interesting to up my water intake.

Comfort is key in those early weeks - loose dresses and leggings saw me through and helped me feel a bit more normal and comfortable as my bump was growing! It's such an odd time when your body is changing so rapidly. Anything that helps us feel a bit more in control, I say!

Reactions: bookworm
I second the pregnancy pillow and comfortable clothing!

I also found a reusable drinking straw very helpful for those times when holding a cup or glass was too much of a strain . Using a straw was a good way to keep hydrated without having to lift anything heavy.

Snacks were an absolute must for me, too - I kept little bags of nuts, dried fruit and energy balls in my handbag, car, and by the bed to combat low blood sugar moments.

Those are some great ideas! I didn't think of a reusable straw but that's an excellent and eco-friendly solution for when you're too weary to lift anything.

I'd also suggest investing in a comfortable and supportive pair of shoes - or two, depending on how much your feet swell! And as the weather turns warmer, a lightweight, breathable jacket to layer up or down depending on the temperature.

Staying hydrated and keeping snacks on hand are such good points too; I found freeze-pops and frozen fruit helpful for those last few weeks when nothing else seemed appetizing!

82951532632-001

Those are fantastic suggestions!

Comfortable footwear is such an essential and often overlooked item; it's so important to look after your feet during pregnancy, especially towards the end when you're heavy and tired. It's a great idea to have options that will accommodate any swelling too - and of course, frozen treats to keep on hand for those late stages!

It's such a fun time preparing and getting ready for a new arrival; it's exciting!

Absolutely! I think it's easy to forget about your feet when there's so much else going on, but comfortable shoes really are a must-have. I found towards the end of my pregnancy that my feet would swell up a little and change shape which meant that some of my regular footwear didn't fit or was uncomfortable.

The frozen treats were a godsend as well - especially in the hot weather! I ended up stocking up on ice lollies, frozen fruit and icy poles!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Comfortable shoes are a great callout - your feet definitely go through some changes, so it's good to be prepared with something practical!

And yes, all the frozen treats! I never thought I'd be so obsessed with ice blocks and frozen fruit but here we are.. they were a pregnancy lifesaver!

Reactions: doctormama
Yep - my shoes definitely went through some changes during pregnancy and post-partum! I ended up getting some wide fit sneakers in a size up which I lived in for months. And yes to frozen treats - such an unexpected but delightful obsession!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and bookworm
Those shoe changes are SO real - and such a great idea to go a size up, especially if your feet end up swelling! I think I lived in my sliders for most of my maternity leave haha.
And yesss frozen treats obsession is the best/weirdest thing! Pregnant or not...give me all the icy poles!

Living in sliders is a fantastic idea - comfortable and practical for when you're waddling around! And yes to frozen treats, I craved snow cones like nobody's business!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu