• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The general consensus among expectant mothers is that comfort is a top priority during pregnancy. Leggings and loose-fitting clothes are popular choices for staying comfy, along with body pillows that support the bump and help with sleep, especially in the later stages of pregnancy. For nausea, sea bands are a recommended solution along with keeping ginger cookies or crackers handy.

Pregnancy support belts are also highly recommended, especially in the later trimesters, to ease back and hip pain. Some mothers also swear by body pillows, which help with sleep, feeding the baby, and skin-to-skin contact postnatal. Additionally, small cold snacks like popsicles and frozen fruit can help with pregnancy nausea.

Most items that provide comfort and support are highly recommended for expectant mothers, especially those that help with rest and relaxation!

What items do you deem essential during pregnancy and what's nice to have?

I'm curious to hear your must-haves, especially for the first trimester and early second trimester. I'm 9 weeks today and starting to feel a bit more human again but know the exhaustion and nausea can return with a vengeance! Comfort and convenience are top priority right now - what are your go-tos for staying comfy and coping with any lingering 1st tri symptoms?

Also, any recommendations for products that can help with back pain or hip discomfort would be amazing. I'm already using a pregnancy pillow which is helping with sleeping but curious to hear your other suggestions!

Comfort has been my top priority lately too! Loose, flowy pants and leggings have been a must-have for me, as well as an assortment of oversized tops. I also invested in some pregnancy support belts which helped immensely with back and hip pain - one for your bump and one that goes around the thigh area really helped keep pressure off my hips, especially when wearing shoes with any sort of heel.

For nausea, the sea-bands worked wonders whenever nothing else settled my stomach - they're little wrist bands that apply pressure to certain points to alleviate nausea. I also found small, cold snacks like popsicles or frozen fruit helped when everything else failed! And of course, keeping ginger cookies and crackers by the bed for any nighttime woes was a saviour.

I'd also recommend one of those big U-shaped pregnancy pillows - they're a godsend for sleeping comfortably, but also great for propping yourself up to read or watch tv. They're especially comforting during the later stages of pregnancy, but I found it helpful early on too as you can adjust the position.

Hope this helps, and congratulations!

Great tips! Comfort is definitely key - leggings and oversize tops have been my go-to for sure. I've also found that having a few pairs of comfortable loose dresses has been a saviour too, especially as the weather's gotten warmer.

I've heard so many good things about those pregnancy support belts - might have to invest in one soon! And I'm definitely going to look into those sea-bands for nausea; I feel like that could've helped me so much earlier on!

The pillow is a must-have; I got one towards the end of the first trimester and it's been amazing for sleep, but also just to prop myself up on the couch too.

Thanks for the recommendations! Congrats to you too :)

51bh4ru-snL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Comfortable dresses are a great idea! I found myself living in those towards the end of my pregnancy - especially good for when you're chasing around a toddler too haha!

I wore the pregnancy belt mainly in the third trimester - it's definitely a game changer! And the sea-bands are definitely worth getting, they helped me so much.

The pillow is such a good investment; I'm glad I got one early on because I used it so much.

Reactions: chickadee
Great to hear some must-have recommendations! I've heard a lot about those pregnancy belts - they seem like such a good idea, especially for later on in pregnancies. And pillows - yes, I'm thinking getting one early could be so useful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

• Love
Reactions: nature
I bought a pregnancy pillow and it's SO comfy - highly recommend investing in one! I got some strange looks from my other half when I first got it as it's huge but he soon realised how useful it is, especially for feeding/cuddling the baby once she arrived. It also helps to prop you up when you're sitting up in bed - which is a massive bonus for those late night feeds! Can't recommend them enough!!

Absolutely! I found my pregnancy pillow a lifesaver, especially for feeding. It's amazing how it helps you to feel more comfortable and supported, and definitely worth the space it takes up!

I second the pregnancy pillow! They're super helpful, especially for side sleepers. I found that it also helped me get used to sleeping with a bump and then later on, it was great for propping myself up when feeding. Would highly recommend!

Reactions: techsavvy
Absolutely! It's such a helpful item for before and after the birth - and a real comfort when you're sleep positions change and you're getting used to a new body shape!

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
Body pillows are amazing for supporting your bump as it continues to grow, helping to ease some of pregnancy's physical discomfort and making it easier to get comfy at night! They're a real Godsend when you're trying to get comfy nursing too - highly recommend!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Body pillows are amazing - I've heard so many good things about them! I've also been recommended using a regular pillow tucked under my bump when trying to sleep on my side, and it really helps with comfort and support too. Anything to get a good night's rest while we can!

Reactions: bubblyfish
Body pillows are truly a godsend! I've heard some mums-to-be swear by using two regular pillows tucked around their bump for support, but I think the body pillow is a much comfier option. It's also great for feeding and those precious skin-to-skin moments once baby arrives.
The full-length ones are amazing as they can support your back too which helps with aches and pains. Definitely a must-have on my list!

• Haha
Reactions: musical
I'm all about that bump support! I found that the body pillow helped me so much, especially in the third trimester when sleeping got tricky. I liked having something to hold onto and it definitely made those uncomfortable nights a little easier. I also loved using it for skin-to-skin - it was nice and cozy. Would highly recommend adding one to the nursery!

I second the body pillow recommendation! It's a must have for sure, I felt so supported and it's such a cozy way to spend your nights, especially towards the end when you're huge and nothing is comfortable! Also, it's nice to have something to hug, especially if you're going the skin-to-skin route like me - so adorable.

A body pillow is a fabulous idea and a great way to feel supported and comfortable - especially as your mobility decreases towards the end. Skin-to-skin contact is such a precious thing, too, so it's lovely that you're considering that aspect as well.

That's true—as your bump grows, a body pillow can help to support it and also ease some of the aches and pains that come with increased weight and shifting centre of gravity. It's a real godsend for getting comfortable when trying to sleep too. And yes, skin-to-skin contact is so important for bonding and something many parents forget about amidst all the preparation!

A body pillow is a great idea - it really helps with getting comfortable once the bump gets bigger! And it's an often underrated must-have item for postpartum recovery too, helping with comfort and supporting your growing baby when holding or feeding them. Skin-to-skin contact is also crucial and such a special part of the experience—it's wonderful that you're mindful of it now, so many don't think about the importance of it until the time comes!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu