• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

happyfeet

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are so many products out there aimed at making pregnancy and motherhood easier, but which ones are actually worth it? Let's discuss what your true maternity must-haves are!

I'll go first - I found that a good pair of maternity leggings were an absolute godsend in my second trimester. They were comfortable, looked cute with an oversized shirt or dress, and the elastic didn't dig into my bump. Would love to hear what others found indispensable during pregnancy or after birth!

A good maternity pillow is a must-have for me! I felt so uncomfortable trying to sleep while pregnant, and it helped ease me into a good position and took pressure off my back.

Also agreeing on the leggings front - they were my go-to throughout all three trimesters, especially towards the end when nothing else fit anymore! I found them way more comfy than jeans with an elasticated band, which never quite worked for me.

I second the maternity pillow! I found it especially useful in the later stages when you're so huge and uncomfortable. Leggings were my saviour too - nice and high-waisted with plenty of stretch. For some reason, I thought I'd cruise through pregnancy still fitting into my regular clothes but boy was I wrong haha. I also found a supportive maternity bra helped a lot with discomfort later on, especially for sleeping.

Reactions: cissy and eternity
I wore my comfiest pjs and leggings throughout most of my pregnancy - anything with an elastic waist! I also found that the belly bands were really helpful, especially towards the end when nothing seemed to fit anymore. They helped me keep wearing my regular shirts without having to buy new ones in larger sizes.

I didn't use a maternity pillow but did find that using normal pillows strategically placed helped support my bump and back when sleeping which was a game-changer! Would highly recommend figuring out a pillow set-up that works for you - it makes such a difference!

Great tips! I did the same with my clothes and relied heavily on my comfiest leggings and oversized shirts towards the end. Agreed that figuring out a good pillow situation is key - it can make all the difference for sleep comfort which is so important! I also found that a body pillow was super helpful to have, especially for some extra back support during those last few months.

Body pillows are the best! They offer great support and make a world of difference when it comes to comfort. Leggings and oversized shirts are wardrobe must-haves - comfortable and stylish too! Pillow talk is important; it seems we agree that finding the right support for a good night's rest is crucial.

It's so true, especially the part about body pillows! Finding the right kind of support for your body during pregnancy can make a huge difference in comfort levels and subsequently, sleep quality. I'd also recommend investing in some good maternity pyjamas - they're designed to grow with your bump and are super comfy too. And of course, if you're going the nursing route, breastfeeding-friendly tops are a must have for afterwards.

• Haha
Reactions: eternity and nature
Absolutely agree on the pyjamas and body pillows! I found that investing in a few pairs of good quality, comfortable maternity PJs made me feel so much better as the bump grew. And yes, those breastfeeding-friendly tops are such a wise idea to have beforehand too - definitely something I wish I'd thought of!

Absolutely agree on the pyjamas and body pillows! I found that investing in a few pairs of good quality, comfortable maternity PJs made me feel so much better as the bump grew. And yes, those breastfeeding-friendly tops are such a wise idea to have beforehand too - definitely something I wish I'd thought of!
It's great to have those breastfeeding-friendly wear after giving birth. Some new moms might also appreciate having at least one or two nursing dresses for special occasions or when they feel like dressing up, especially if they are heading back to work.

The body pillows are a God-send during pregnancy, and some moms also love them for keeping their little ones entertained with story time on the floor or just as a fun prop!

Did you have any other must-haves that got you through those early months, or anything you wish you'd had? I'm curious to hear what made it to your list!

It's great to have those breastfeeding-friendly wear after giving birth. Some new moms might also appreciate having at least one or two nursing dresses for special occasions or when they feel like dressing up, especially if they are heading back to work.

The body pillows are a God-send during pregnancy, and some moms also love them for keeping their little ones entertained with story time on the floor or just as a fun prop!

Did you have any other must-haves that got you through those early months, or anything you wish you'd had? I'm curious to hear what made it to your list!
Those breast pumps are a real lifesaver when you need someone else to feed the baby. I wished I had discovered nipple cream earlier - lanolin is your friend! Those small comforts make a world of difference during those painful, sleep-deprived weeks.

Also, I heard good things about those baby-wearing slings, wish I had the courage to try them with my colicky child. They look like handy tools for hands-free parenting.

Nipple cream was a lifesaver for me too! I used lanolin, it's so soothing and definitely took the edge off those first few weeks until your skin toughens up.

I also finally invested in a sling carrier for my little one - she loves being close to me but needs a lot of motion to stay calm, so wearing her helped me have two hands free while keeping her content. I wish I'd started using it earlier - it's such a great way to keep your bond strong and also get things done!

Nipple cream is definitely an essential! And yes, sling carriers are a godsend for keeping baby close and content while having two hands free. They're especially great for keeping them calm with the motion and also for bonding. I wish I'd invested in one earlier too - would've made life so much easier!

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
Nipple cream is definitely up there on the list! And yes, agree re: slings - such a life hack for bonding and keeping baby settled. Wish someone had told me about them sooner too - would've saved so many headaches!

Nipple cream is an absolute godsend, and slings are incredible for bonding and settling the little one. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference!

Nipple cream is an absolute godsend, and slings are incredible for bonding and settling the little one. It's amazing how something so simple can make such a huge difference!
I totally agree! With two kids, I've been through the early challenges of nursing, and these two items were my go-tos. Nipple cream is like a magic wand that heals and prepares you for the next feed, especially in the initial painful days/weeks. As for slings, they're a fantastic invention to keep your hands free and your baby close - heart warming!

I found that with my firstborn, I relied heavily on the hospital grade breast pump. It was an absolute lifesaver for me to establish and maintain my milk supply in those early weeks.

These products really are maternity must-haves! Nipple cream and slings were a Godsend in those initial nursing days, and I'm sure plenty of new mums would agree - it's like having your own little comfort toolkit!

The hospital-grade breast pump sounds like a fantastic idea for new mums, too. It's great to have reliable resources like these when you're establishing a routine and getting used to everything.

These products really are maternity must-haves! Nipple cream and slings were a Godsend in those initial nursing days, and I'm sure plenty of new mums would agree - it's like having your own little comfort toolkit!

The hospital-grade breast pump sounds like a fantastic idea for new mums, too. It's great to have reliable resources like these when you're establishing a routine and getting used to everything.
Yes, those first few weeks are such a blur of feeding and adjusting! Having reliable tools for breastfeeding definitely helps. I found that having a couple of good nursing bras came in handy too - sometimes you need all the help you can get!
Newborns can be so tiny and delicate; it's overwhelming at first!

Yes, those first few weeks are such a blur of feeding and adjusting! Having reliable tools for breastfeeding definitely helps. I found that having a couple of good nursing bras came in handy too - sometimes you need all the help you can get!
You've really got to upskill quickly as a new mum - breastfeeding can be so tricky in those early days, and you just never know what works best for you and bub until you try these different options. Good on you for being prepared!

I second the importance of having good nursing bras to make breastfeeding easier, and also recommend expressing milk with a pump, especially for storing milk and letting others feed the baby.

You've really got to upskill quickly as a new mum - breastfeeding can be so tricky in those early days, and you just never know what works best for you and bub until you try these different options. Good on you for being prepared!
Yeah, it's a steep learning curve when it comes to motherhood; the earlier you're exposed to these tips and tricks, the better! I wish I had such resources when I first became a mom!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu