• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to buy when expecting a baby can be overwhelming and confusing - there are so many products out there!

Share your recommendations for must-have maternity items. What helped you through pregnancy and beyond?

I'll go first - for me it was all about comfort. My top picks would have to be:
1. Full-length pregnancy pillow
2. Comfy, stretchy leggings (or two...or three!)
3. Supportive maternity bras
4. A few good books or magazines - anything to help prepare for the big day!
5. Snacks! Always snacks.

What are your maternity must haves?

My number one must-have would have to be a comfortable pregnancy belt/support band. It helped me immensely with back and pelvic pain, especially towards the third trimester.

I also second the notion of comfy leggings - those became my uniform as the pregnancy progressed! And I agree that snacks are essential. Always have some on hand, because hungry pregnant women need to eat!

Another item I loved was a small, lightweight shopping trolley. We live in an urban area and walking was often easier than driving/using public transport, so having something easy to wheel groceries home in was a godsend.

Lastly, music was a real saviour for me. I invested in some good headphones and listened to lots of calming music - it helped with relaxation and also helped me to connect with the baby. Would highly recommend adding some pregnancy playlists to your recommendations list!

My number one must-have would have to be a comfortable pregnancy belt/support band. It helped me immensely with back and pelvic pain, especially towards the third trimester.

I also second the notion of comfy leggings - those became my uniform as the pregnancy progressed! And I agree that snacks are essential. Always have some on hand, because hungry pregnant women need to eat!

Another item I loved was a small, lightweight shopping trolley. We live in an urban area and walking was often easier than driving/using public transport, so having something easy to wheel groceries home in was a godsend.

Lastly, music was a real saviour for me. I invested in some good headphones and listened to lots of calming music - it helped with relaxation and also helped me to connect with the baby. Would highly recommend adding some pregnancy playlists to your recommendations list!
Yes! A good pregnancy belt/support band is underrated but super helpful, especially for back pain relief! And I second the shopping trolley recommendation - those little folding ones are a godsend for urban dwellers like myself too!

I'll be adding these to my maternity must-haves list, which I've been compiling for fellow mums-to-be!

Great suggestions! I'd also recommend a comfortable and easily accessible pair of shoes - your feet can swell up quite unexpectedly sometimes, so it's good to have something you can slip on and off easily without too much fuss. Also, consider a few pairs of cheap but comfortable slippers or indoor shoes because your shoe size might change and you don't want to be walking around in snug shoes all the time!

Reactions: musical
Great suggestions! I'd also recommend a comfortable and easily accessible pair of shoes - your feet can swell up quite unexpectedly sometimes, so it's good to have something you can slip on and off easily without too much fuss. Also, consider a few pairs of cheap but comfortable slippers or indoor shoes because your shoe size might change and you don't want to be walking around in snug shoes all the time!
Good call! You'd be spending a lot of time at home and having a couple of pairs of comfortable slip-ons or sandals can come in handy. It's also a good idea to have them in neutral colors so they go with most outfits, plus they're easy to throw on when running errands or heading out for a quick walk.

I found that my feet were tired a lot of the time towards the end of my pregnancy, so having these comfy shoes was such a blessing!

Yes, footwear is an essential we often overlook! Comfy shoes/slippers are a must-have, especially for the unpredictable swelling that can happen. I've heard of mums-to-be having to buy new shoes during their pregnancy due to this very reason. It's practical to have something affordable and adaptable at hand.

Do you ladies have any specific shoe brands or types you've found comfortable and accommodating for your puffy feet? Just curious to see if there are any good recommendations! I know some great sustainable and ethical footwear brands, but most aren't exactly pregnancy-friendly price-wise.

Good call! You'd be spending a lot of time at home and having a couple of pairs of comfortable slip-ons or sandals can come in handy. It's also a good idea to have them in neutral colors so they go with most outfits, plus they're easy to throw on when running errands or heading out for a quick walk.

I found that my feet were tired a lot of the time towards the end of my pregnancy, so having these comfy shoes was such a blessing!
Neutral-coloured comfortable footwear is a must-have for new moms It's also a good idea to have a pair of shoes with some arch support to alleviate tired feet.

Comfy, practical shoes are an absolute essential! I'd go a step further and say that any new parents should also grab a pair of slip-ons or something with velcro for easy on/off access - you never know when you'll need to make a quick shoe change while holding a baby! Arch support is so important too, especially when you're on your feet all day.

Reactions: wisdom
Great point about easy access and arch support - definitely give your feet some extra TLC during pregnancy and beyond! Comfortable, practical shoes will be your new bestie as a new parent - and those with velcro/slip-ons are a brilliant idea for quick changes when you've got bubs in tow.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and joyful
They definitely become a high priority! I lived in my slip on sneakers, they were so comfy and easy to wear everyday and with everything. It was nice not having to bend down and tie shoelaces! And of course, having that extra support helped with all the extra weight and balance changes. A very practical must have :)

Reactions: travelmum
I couldn't agree more - they're such a godsend through pregnancy! I feel like sneakers are a staple we often overlook, especially with how effortless and cute they look too. They definitely provide that extra comfort and support which becomes a priority during those months. Would love to know your recommendations too and what everyone's go-to pair has been!

• Haha
Reactions: happyfeet
Sneakers are an overlooked essential! I found that investing in a good pair of sneakers made all the difference for comfort - especially during my third trimester.

I relied on my pair of classic white Converse - they went with everything, were super comfortable and easy to wear, and didn't make me feel like I was compromising on style either!

Would love to hear other recommendations too as I'm sure everyone will have different go-tos!

I second the comfortable shoe recommendation - and am also a big supporter of Converse! I found that my Chucks were perfect for running errands and for when I was on my feet all day because they're so lightweight. I didn't get away with just one pair though - I had three different colours on rotation haha!

Also, for those who are into sandals, I'd recommend a good pair of sliders - they were a godsend during the hot summer months and also super easy to slip on and off!

I second the comfortable shoe recommendation - and am also a big supporter of Converse! I found that my Chucks were perfect for running errands and for when I was on my feet all day because they're so lightweight. I didn't get away with just one pair though - I had three different colours on rotation haha!

Also, for those who are into sandals, I'd recommend a good pair of sliders - they were a godsend during the hot summer months and also super easy to slip on and off!
Ya, agree! Comfortable shoes are a must-have for sure. I survived my early pregnancy days with my trusted Converse too! So lightweight and easy to move around in, especially when you're feeling heavy and tired.

And sliders are a great recommendation for easy wear, especially for the hot weather we're having these days! Good for quick errands and also to keep your feet cool and comfortable.

What colour Chucks did you go for?

Agree about the sneakers! They are probably the most comfortable shoes to run around in during pregnancy. Sliders are also a great recommendation for easy wear, especially with all the swelling that can happen during those hot, pregnant summer days! Some mums-to-be might prefer sandals with a back strap too, for a bit more support.

Ya, agree! Comfortable shoes are a must-have for sure. I survived my early pregnancy days with my trusted Converse too! So lightweight and easy to move around in, especially when you're feeling heavy and tired.

And sliders are a great recommendation for easy wear, especially for the hot weather we're having these days! Good for quick errands and also to keep your feet cool and comfortable.

I went with the classic black color - a versatile color that goes well with most of my outfits and is easy to match! Black sneakers are a staple in my wardrobe and definitely a safe choice for when I'm pregnant and don't feel like putting too much thought into my outfit. They're a comfortable yet stylish option.

Black Chuck Taylors never fail me - a safe, versatile option that goes with any outfit, which is especially handy during pregnancy when getting dressed can be a challenge! I also appreciate the versatility of sliders; they are convenient for hot days and quick outings.

I had my Chucks on heavy rotation throughout my pregnancy too - comfortable, casual, and cute! Sliders are a great idea as well, especially on those swollen feet days.

I had my Chucks on heavy rotation throughout my pregnancy too - comfortable, casual, and cute! Sliders are a great idea as well, especially on those swollen feet days.
Pregnancy definitely makes some days a lot harder to get through. It's good that you had shoes that helped get you through those days! Comfort is key and I'm glad you found what worked for you. I mostly lived in flip-flops myself - it was my go-to for most of my pregnancy as my feet would swell up so much!

Flip flops were a wise choice! They're so versatile and comfortable. I found myself living in sandals towards the end of my pregnancy - something about being able to easily slip them on and off was so appealing with all the extra bulk! Haha. Comfort is definitely key, especially when your feet are swelling up. I'm glad you found your pregnancy must-have too!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu