• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

nature

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What items would you say are absolute must haves for your maternity wardrobe and why?
Let's keep this discussion focused on functional, practical items that you found to be essential during pregnancy - think clothing, accessories and any other fashion related items that got you through!

Share brand names and styles if you can - it will really help give us an idea of what to look for. I'll go first - I couldn't have lived without my maternity jeans, they were full panel and comfortable and looked reasonably stylish too (at least I thought so!). They were expensive but worth every cent!

I found that investing in some good quality, loose-fitting, cotton tops was a godsend. I went for longer length styles that could be worn either tucked into my jeans/pants or left out - they looked cute with a little front knot too which helped show off the bump. Also, a couple of good nursing shirts were an essential for me - again, loose fitting but with some discreet zippers for easy access breastfeeding. I wanted to make sure I could wear them during pregnancy and beyond so I chose styles that weren't necessarily 'maternity' per sey, just oversized and super comfortable. Also, a tip someone gave me which I lived by was to buy shoes a size up - my feet remained that size post-pregnancy so it wasn't a waste! I stocked up on some comfy slip ons and lace up sneakers in that size which saw me through those last few months when bending down became tricky!

I found that investing in some good quality, loose-fitting, cotton tops was a godsend. I went for longer length styles that could be worn either tucked into my jeans/pants or left out - they looked cute with a little front knot too which helped show off the bump. Also, a couple of good nursing shirts were an essential for me - again, loose fitting but with some discreet zippers for easy access breastfeeding. I wanted to make sure I could wear them during pregnancy and beyond so I chose styles that weren't necessarily 'maternity' per sey, just oversized and super comfortable. Also, a tip someone gave me which I lived by was to buy shoes a size up - my feet remained that size post-pregnancy so it wasn't a waste! I stocked up on some comfy slip ons and lace up sneakers in that size which saw me through those last few months when bending down became tricky!
Those are some great tips! I didn't realize that one's shoe size remains the same post-pregnancy--that's good to know! Comfortable shoes are a must-have for sure, especially for when you're waddling around in those last few weeks :) I also found that wearing non-maternity clothes throughout my pregnancy made me feel more stylish and gave a nice change of pace from the typical maternity wear. It's amazing how some pieces can be worn throughout pregnancy and beyond!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
Those are some great tips! I didn't realize that one's shoe size remains the same post-pregnancy--that's good to know! Comfortable shoes are a must-have for sure, especially for when you're waddling around in those last few weeks :) I also found that wearing non-maternity clothes throughout my pregnancy made me feel more stylish and gave a nice change of pace from the typical maternity wear. It's amazing how some pieces can be worn throughout pregnancy and beyond!
Yep, I wore my regular clothes for as long as possible too! Some pieces were able to stretch to accommodate my growing bump and gave that much-needed versatility. And with the right accessories, it's amazing how stylish one can look throughout different trimesters. It's like having an extended wardrobe without the additional cost!

Yep, I wore my regular clothes for as long as possible too! Some pieces were able to stretch to accommodate my growing bump and gave that much-needed versatility. And with the right accessories, it's amazing how stylish one can look throughout different trimesters. It's like having an extended wardrobe without the additional cost!
It's a great way to save money, especially since most maternity clothes are worn for a short period. But some pieces are so unflatteringly designed, I'd say investing in a few key stylish staples is worthwhile. Accessorize and mix & match - that's the trick!

It's a great way to save money, especially since most maternity clothes are worn for a short period. But some pieces are so unflatteringly designed, I'd say investing in a few key stylish staples is worthwhile. Accessorize and mix & match - that's the trick!
I agree! Investing in quality maternity wear that can be dressed up or down is a far more cost-effective strategy than buying numerous ill-fitting outfits.

Reactions: wellness
I agree! Investing in quality maternity wear that can be dressed up or down is a far more cost-effective strategy than buying numerous ill-fitting outfits.
Some of my mama friends also recommend investing in a few good nursing-friendly apparel. They're versatile and handy during the breastfeeding phase!

That's great advice! Having clothing that's convenient for nursing can really make a difference during those late night feedings. Some of my go-to pieces were nursing friendly dresses, they layered well and were comfortable too. I also found that having a couple of good nursing tops with built in vests were handy as you could adjust for more coverage if needed - especially when out and about!

What other maternity clothing items did your friends recommend?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: koala and happyfeet
I found that comfortable leggings/joggers and loose tops were a staple for me during pregnancy but also post-partum as they accommodated my changing body!

The nursing friendly dresses are a great idea - I'll definitely be investing in some for next time, especially as you can layer them. I'm currently 7 months pp and still in comfy/nursing friendly clothing so it's great to hear what other people found useful.

I think the key must haves are comfort and convenience!

Comfort and convenience are definitely key! I lived in my maternity leggings and oversized t-shirts, and then threw on a couple of easy-to-wear cardigans when I left the house.

I also found that a simple nursing cover was a must-have for me - I breastfed my little one for two years, and it was so handy to have something light and compact to drape over myself when I fed her out and about.

Leggings and oversize Ts sound like a comfy combo! I found that cardigans are a great idea for added warmth - sometimes you just need that extra layer.
A nursing cover is a brilliant idea too; it's so helpful to have something lightweight and portable when feeding on the go. It definitely adds peace of mind!

Leggings and oversize Ts sound like a comfy combo! I found that cardigans are a great idea for added warmth - sometimes you just need that extra layer.
A nursing cover is a brilliant idea too; it's so helpful to have something lightweight and portable when feeding on the go. It definitely adds peace of mind!
Yeah, I agree about the cardigans - a thin one comes in handy when the shopping malls or restaurants are freezing cold, which can happen a lot here in Singapore.

A lightweight nursing cover is a must-have for breastfeeding mums who want some discretion when feeding in public.

Yeah, I agree about the cardigans - a thin one comes in handy when the shopping malls or restaurants are freezing cold, which can happen a lot here in Singapore.

A lightweight nursing cover is a must-have for breastfeeding mums who want some discretion when feeding in public.
I second the nursing cover! It's like a shawl that's specifically designed for breastfeeding. Super handy, especially when you're out and about and baby gets hungry.

What else do you guys think are some maternity must-haves?

I second the nursing cover! It provides privacy and also shields baby from any harsh lighting or distractions so they can focus on eating.

• Haha
Reactions: bubblyfish

It's true! I think every new mom should invest in clothing that makes them feel confident and comfortable because it's such an overwhelming time. Being able to nurse discretely can make public outings less stressful too.

Are there any other must-haves that people usually forget about?

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
It's true! I think every new mom should invest in clothing that makes them feel confident and comfortable because it's such an overwhelming time. Being able to nurse discretely can make public outings less stressful too.

Some new moms might overlook the importance of a good quality breast pump. It can be a real lifeline when you're trying to manage milk supply, and it's a God-send when you need to pump on the go or discreetly.

A pump is a must-have if you plan on returning to work or attending any events/dinners where you'll be away from your baby for a few hours. It allows you to maintain your milk supply and stock up a reserve of expressed milk for your little one. You can opt for manual or electric/motorized pumps, depending on your budget and needs.

Another item is a comfortable baby carrier. Babywearing can make a huge difference when you have your hands full and need to get things done or run errands. It's a great way to keep your baby close and calm while giving you the freedom to do other things.

Also, I'd recommend investing in an ergonomic stroller with lots of storage. You'll be surprised how much stuff you need to carry around when you're out with a new-born! Having a spacious underseat basket and extra storage can make all the difference.

What other maternity must-haves do you ladies swear by?

Some new moms might overlook the importance of having a good skincare routine during those chaotic early days.

Sleep deprivation, stress and hormonal changes can take a toll on your skin, so keeping a simple but effective skincare regime can be a real lifesaver. It's also a great way to take some time for yourself and practice self-care, which is so important for new moms!

A gentle cleanser, a hydrating moisturizer, and a comforting face mask can help keep skin healthy and give you a quick boost when you're feeling tired and run down. It's an added bonus if the products also help with postpartum acne or dryness.

What other maternity must-haves do you think new moms should prepare?

Some new moms might overlook the importance of having a good baby carrier until their little one constantly craves being toted around. It could be a godsend for hands-free parenting, especially when dealing with errands or chasing after older kids!

Baby carriers are a godsend to new moms, especially those with active lifestyles or multiple children. It's essential to have a comfortable and secure carrier that doesn't strain your back or shoulders because, trust me, you'll be using it A LOT!

The baby carrier has been a lifesaver during family outings too - queuing up at the zoo or crowded places where pushing a stroller isn't always convenient. It also helps to keep your little one snug and calm when they're overwhelmed by all the new sights and sounds.

I'd recommend going for ergonomic carriers that distribute the baby's weight evenly across your body, have adjustable straps for customized fitment, and are comfortable enough to wear for extended periods. They're a bit pricier, but well worth the investment!

Baby carriers are a godsend to new moms, especially those with active lifestyles or multiple children. It's essential to have a comfortable and secure carrier that doesn't strain your back or shoulders because, trust me, you'll be using it A LOT!

The baby carrier has been a lifesaver during family outings too - queuing up at the zoo or crowded places where pushing a stroller isn't always convenient. It also helps to keep your little one snug and calm when they're overwhelmed by all the new sights and sounds.

I'd recommend going for ergonomic carriers that distribute the baby's weight evenly across your body, have adjustable straps for customized fitment, and are comfortable enough to wear for extended periods. They're a bit pricier, but well worth the investment!
A good baby carrier is a worthwhile expenditure, and an ergonomic one sounds like a great choice for comfort over long periods! I'd also suggest checking that it's easy to maneuver and take on and off, especially if you'll be doing it by yourself. Those quick release clips are a godsend!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu