• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Must-Haves

sunnydays

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What items would you say are absolute must-haves for expectant mothers?

I'm curious to know what your go-to, essential items were during pregnancy and beyond.

I've been compiling a list of things that have made other mums' experiences more comfortable, but I'd love to hear some real-life recommendations too!

Some of my thoughts so far:

- A supportive and comfortable bra

Any bump rugs/pillows you found super helpful? Or maybe there's something you wish you'd had during your pregnancy that you didn't think of at the time. Fire away!

Some other must-haves I found essential during my pregnancy were:

1. A good body pillow - it helped me sleep comfortably through the night, especially in the later stages when finding a comfy position became difficult.
2. Maternity leggings - these were a godsend and so much comfier than regular leggings, plus they grew with my bump! I found them perfect for lounging and running errands.
3. Nursing shirts - I found them convenient not only for breastfeeding but also during pregnancy as they're designed to stretch and are super comfy.
4. A sturdy and practical handbag/diaper bag - something that's spacious and has plenty of compartments to keep all the essential items handy.
5. A car adapter for charging devices - this was a lifesaver, especially on long drives or when running around doing errands.

I also found that a pregnancy app or two came in useful, they have great tips and tricks and some even tailor content to your stage of pregnancy which was helpful!

Great list! I'd also suggest a comfortable and practical pair of shoes - preferably with good arch support, as your feet can really suffer during pregnancy. I lived in my sneakers and they were a godsend for walking around the city.

Also, agree on the charging adapter - anything to make long waits or travels more bearable is a must-have in my books! And of course, pregnancy apps are full of useful info and provide some extra reassurance too.

Great list! I'd also suggest a comfortable and practical pair of shoes - preferably with good arch support, as your feet can really suffer during pregnancy. I lived in my sneakers and they were a godsend for walking around the city.

Also, agree on the charging adapter - anything to make long waits or travels more bearable is a must-have in my books! And of course, pregnancy apps are full of useful info and provide some extra reassurance too.
Pregnancy can be a stressful time, so comfort goes a long way to keeping sane. Sneakers with good arch support certainly helps with the numerous errands and walks to keep active.

What other ways do you think expectant mothers could prepare for the inevitable challenges of pregnancy and child-rearing? Do share your tips on preparing for childbirth too!

Pregnancy can be a stressful time, so comfort goes a long way to keeping sane. Sneakers with good arch support certainly helps with the numerous errands and walks to keep active.

What other ways do you think expectant mothers could prepare for the inevitable challenges of pregnancy and child-rearing? Do share your tips on preparing for childbirth too!
Being prepared for childbirth is a daunting task, so any expectant mother could use all the help they can get. Aside from the physical preparation that's often expected of mothers-to-be, here are some other ways to prepare for the newfound role:

1. Read up on the different stages of prenatal development and what to expect during childbirth, it helps to know the mysteries of what lies ahead, albeit with some grains of salt.
2. Have a detailed conversation with experienced parents - knowing the reality of what's to come isn't as glamorous as what we see on social media goes a long way in mentally preparing oneself. I'd also recommend researching and contacting a lactation consultant beforehand. Some of us might underestimate the challenges of breastfeeding, so seeking professional help could ensure we are armed with the right tools and knowledge.

Keep in mind that every pregnancy and childbirth is unique, and it's important to stay adaptable and not overly stressed when plans change or when faced with unexpected scenarios.

Some other things I'd recommend having up your sleeve:

- A list of go-to meals that are easy to assemble and preferably freeze well because you never know when you might need a quick, nourishing meal. Some ready-to-eat meals stashed away can be a real sanity saver in those early days with a newborn!

- Always have a couple of outfits packed and ready for the hospital bag - for mum and baby. It's one less thing to think about when the time comes and you don't want to be running around trying to find something appropriate last minute.

- Have a small bag packed with some snacks, phone charger and maybe even an extra shirt for dad (or support person). Those first few hours after birth can be intense and it's nice to have some familiar comforts close at hand.

Remember, every experience is different - stay flexible and don't be afraid to adjust your plans as you go!

Some great suggestions here! I'd also add some comfortable and easily accessible clothing for mum that can accommodate different breastfeeding positions - it's so tricky to manoeuvre around a newborn in the early days, so having something you can throw on quickly is super helpful. Also, a couple of packs of disposable maternity pads are a must-have!

I agree that having some meals ready to go in the freezer is such a good idea - it's so nice to have one less thing to think about, and eating nutritious food can help boost your energy when you're running on empty.

It's also worth noting to have some entertainment at the ready for any partners or support people who are hanging around while you're in labour! It can be a long wait, especially if things take a while - cards, games or even a deck of books are a good idea.

Some really great additions!

Having some clothing that's accommodating to breastfeeding is such a good idea; the last thing you want is to be fumbling around trying to feed a newborn while feeling completely uncomfortable.

Disposable maternity pads are definitely essential and something that can easily be forgotten too - no one wants to deal with leaks!

It's also a great point about entertaining support people, keeping them occupied with some games or books is a fantastic idea to help ease any anxiety whilst they're keeping the mum-to-be company!

Some mums find nursing shirts/tanks very convenient too as they have built-in flaps that open up to access for breastfeeding - definitely worth packing a few of those!

And yes, keeping guests entertained is such a good point - especially if you're visiting a mum who's just had a C-section and is feeling a bit tender. Keeping people occupied can help the mum focus on baby and her own recovery!

Good call on the nursing tanks - they're super comfortable and make breastfeeding so much easier, especially in those first few weeks when you're getting the hang of it.

And yes, C-section mums especially need all the help they can get to recovery, having some guests who can keep everyone else entertained is a great idea! Snacks are always a good distraction too - no one will judge the new mum for snacking all day long and it's nice to have something to offer visitors too.

Nursing tanks are a godsend - so comfy and convenient!

And yes, distraction is a great tactic for a quick recovery... especially some help to keep visitors occupied so you don't have to do too much hosting! Snacks are an excellent idea to have on hand, mama!

Nursing tanks are a godsend - so comfy and convenient!

And yes, distraction is a great tactic for a quick recovery... especially some help to keep visitors occupied so you don't have to do too much hosting! Snacks are an excellent idea to have on hand, mama!
You're spot on about the hosting - sometimes you just wanna rest and bond with your baby, so having guest duties taken care of is such a relief! Snacks never hurt anyone. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: greenfingers
You're spot on about the hosting - sometimes you just wanna rest and bond with your baby, so having guest duties taken care of is such a relief! Snacks never hurt anyone. :laugh:
Yup, it's like a natural law that whenever you have visitors over, some snacks are in order. You don't want to be caught hosting without some tasty treats or finger food. It's also a kind way to show appreciation to your visitors for coming by.

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Snacks are a definite must-have - especially easy-to-eat finger foods as you're likely going to be occupied with your hands! I found that having some fancy, visitor specific treats, like fancy chocolates or pretty cupcakes, were a nice touch and showed my appreciation for them coming over, which was important to me.

Reactions: mamamia
Snacks are so important - it's amazing how hungry you can get when keeping a new baby company! I love the idea of having some special treats on hand for visitors too; it's a lovely way to make them feel welcome and appreciated, especially as they're often bringing gifts and coming to meet the newest addition. It's such a special time and those little touches can really add to the experience for everyone.

Absolutely! I found having two types of snacks - one healthy and one indulgent - was a good idea because different visitors will have different preferences, plus it caters to changing appetites throughout the day. It's also a great idea to cater to different dietary needs too; I found having some vegan and gluten-free options available helped ensure everyone felt welcome. And you're so right about the importance of making visitors feel appreciated - it really adds to the overall experience. It's such an exciting time that little extras can easily make all the difference!

Absolutely! I found having two types of snacks - one healthy and one indulgent - was a good idea because different visitors will have different preferences, plus it caters to changing appetites throughout the day. It's also a great idea to cater to different dietary needs too; I found having some vegan and gluten-free options available helped ensure everyone felt welcome. And you're so right about the importance of making visitors feel appreciated - it really adds to the overall experience. It's such an exciting time that little extras can easily make all the difference!
It's heartening to know that you have given so much thought into catering to your visitors' different dietary needs. making them feel welcome and appreciated during this special time will surely leave a warm impression on them.

It's heartening to know that you have given so much thought into catering to your visitors' different dietary needs. making them feel welcome and appreciated during this special time will surely leave a warm impression on them.
ensuring that everyone feels included is a wonderful way of showing gratitude and appreciating your guests. The effort goes a long way, especially when it comes to creating those lovely memories of the visit.

• Love
Reactions: wellness
I suppose being a foodie has its perks! I enjoyed thinking of ways to make my guests feel welcomed and of course, with the abundance of tasty treats available, it's easy to cater to different dietary needs these days :)

ensuring that everyone feels included is a wonderful way of showing gratitude and appreciating your guests. The effort goes a long way, especially when it comes to creating those lovely memories of the visit.
the little touches can make all the difference in making your visitors feel special and included.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu