• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Essentials

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
What to stock up on before baby arrives!
Share your must-haves and maternity essentials! Let's create a bump-friendly list of the top products to have on hand for the first few weeks postpartum. From comfort items to baby essentials - let's hear all about them!

I'll go first: I loved my pregnancy pillow, it helped me sleep so much, and of course, my tummy time mat & toys - important for those early days! Oh, and those disposable underwear - a lifesaver!

• Love
Reactions: lioness and koala
Some of my top essentials would have to be:

- Comfy pyjamas - I lived in these for the first few weeks, something easy for breastfeeding/pumping mums too. Having buttons or zippers at the front for easy access is so handy!

- Lanolin cream - it's a saviour for sore nipples!

- A nasal aspirator - definitely a weird one but honestly such a necessity when they're so little and congestion can be scary, plus it's so satisfying getting all that snot out haha!

- Baby thermometers - we have a forehead one which is super quick and easy to use.

- Muslin cloths - great for mopping up milk, sick or drool! Also handy to cover yourself when burping the bub too.

- Breast pads - definitely recommend stocking up on these, you don't want any nasty leaks ruining your nice clothes!

Those disposable undies are a maternity ward staple too - so many people overlook them but they're fantastic!

I also found some simple stretch mark cream or oil kept me feeling a little more human those first few weeks, and of course helped with the itching of stretching skin.

And finally, something that's more for mum - snacks!! Lots and lots of snacks. Survival food, haha! I always kept a few energy bars in my bedside table too for those middle-of-the-night feeds when you're too tired to make anything.

Can't wait to hear everyone else's essential products!

Some of my top essentials would have to be:

- Comfy pyjamas - I lived in these for the first few weeks, something easy for breastfeeding/pumping mums too. Having buttons or zippers at the front for easy access is so handy!

- Lanolin cream - it's a saviour for sore nipples!

- A nasal aspirator - definitely a weird one but honestly such a necessity when they're so little and congestion can be scary, plus it's so satisfying getting all that snot out haha!

- Baby thermometers - we have a forehead one which is super quick and easy to use.

- Muslin cloths - great for mopping up milk, sick or drool! Also handy to cover yourself when burping the bub too.

- Breast pads - definitely recommend stocking up on these, you don't want any nasty leaks ruining your nice clothes!

Those disposable undies are a maternity ward staple too - so many people overlook them but they're fantastic!

I also found some simple stretch mark cream or oil kept me feeling a little more human those first few weeks, and of course helped with the itching of stretching skin.

And finally, something that's more for mum - snacks!! Lots and lots of snacks. Survival food, haha! I always kept a few energy bars in my bedside table too for those middle-of-the-night feeds when you're too tired to make anything.

Can't wait to hear everyone else's essential products!
You've listed some useful items every new mum should have! I'd also recommend a comfortable and spacious baby carrier. It is a godsend for hands-free grocery shopping trips or when you have errands to run. You mentioned breast pads--reusable ones are environmentally friendly and cost-effective, although disposable ones are more convenient in the early chaotic days of motherhood.

I agree with you on the snacks! High-energy, delicious treats kept me going during late-night feeding sessions, so I'd stock up on those too!

What baby must-haves did you pack in your hospital bag?

Some great additions there! I found a baby carrier an essential item - especially for getting out and about and having hands free to push the pram if needed.

I packed disposable breast pads - definitely needed those! Also, I found some comfortable and easily accessible pyjamas were good to have in my hospital bag as well as a nursing nightgown - something easy to feed in.

As for snacks, I focused on high energy treats too - anything with nuts was a winner and kept me going through some of the longer feeds! I also stocked up on fresh fruits like bananas which are easy to eat with one hand!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Great tip about the fruit - easy one handed snacks are a winner, will remember that! I found disposable breast pads essential too. I ended up buying a few different types of carriers - there are some great options out there for different situations. Having a hands free option was definitely key and they're so useful for when baby sleeps as well.

Disposable breast pads are a great idea - so practical! Agreed on the different types of carriers, especially something hands-free. It's amazing how much stuff you need to carry around once the baby arrives and having options that suit different situations is so helpful. I found a good wrap/sling crucial for those early weeks too, it really helped me manage those early days.

Disposable breast pads are a great idea - so practical! Agreed on the different types of carriers, especially something hands-free. It's amazing how much stuff you need to carry around once the baby arrives and having options that suit different situations is so helpful. I found a good wrap/sling crucial for those early weeks too, it really helped me manage those early days.
Yes, no use struggling with a stiff carrier when a comfy sling works best for the baby's early weeks. You'd need all the comfort and convenience you can get during that period!

• Love
Reactions: nature
Absolutely! Comfort is so important especially in those first few weeks when you're still getting used to everything. I found a sling really useful - it allowed me to keep my baby close and comfortable, and have hands free too which was a huge help!

• Haha
Reactions: cissy
Absolutely! Comfort is so important especially in those first few weeks when you're still getting used to everything. I found a sling really useful - it allowed me to keep my baby close and comfortable, and have hands free too which was a huge help!
Slings and baby carriers are a godsend for new moms! It not only keeps your little one snug and calm but also allows you to have some freedom to accomplish other tasks - a huge help when you're adjusting to the demands of motherhood.

It's also helpful for discreet nursing or pumping moms on the go!

Reactions: queenie and joyful
Baby carriers are a huge life-saver, especially in the beginning when you have a tiny newborn and your hands are full adjusting to everything. I found that having a sling or carrier was helpful for keeping my hands free to do other things like open the door or even just eating! They're also great for days out – I felt much more comfortable knowing my baby was safe and snug close to me.

It's also a huge help in keeping your little one calm. The comfort of being close to you combined with the soothing sound of your heartbeats is priceless. I've also heard great things about using a carrier for discreet nursing – it's so useful when you're out and about!

Baby carriers are a huge life-saver, especially in the beginning when you have a tiny newborn and your hands are full adjusting to everything. I found that having a sling or carrier was helpful for keeping my hands free to do other things like open the door or even just eating! They're also great for days out – I felt much more comfortable knowing my baby was safe and snug close to me.

It's also a huge help in keeping your little one calm. The comfort of being close to you combined with the soothing sound of your heartbeats is priceless. I've also heard great things about using a carrier for discreet nursing – it's so useful when you're out and about!
I agree! Baby carriers are a God-send, especially for new moms who need their hands free to manage other tasks - a safe way to hold your baby close and provide physical stimulation using your body warmth.

Reactions: nature
Baby carriers are an absolute essential on my list too - they give such convenience and comfort especially when you're out and about and need those free hands! But also, what a lovely way to bond with your little one and keep them close :)

I found the carrier to be such a lifesaver - especially during those first few months when they nap on you constantly! It's also such a sweet way of keeping them close and getting some bonding time too. I preferred the woven wraps, which felt secure and were comfortable, but there are so many options out there these days it's easy to find one that suits your needs :)

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
I agree, baby carriers are a Godsend! I found them especially helpful during the first few months - having my hands free whilst still keeping the little one close was amazing.

I used the X carrier for my firstborn and have just bought a new one for this coming arrival - can't wait to use it again! So comforting, knowing that the baby is secure and happy whilst I can get some things done .

So many types out there though - did anyone else find that the choice was slightly overwhelming? I spent ages researching different kinds before settling on the one I liked best! Would love to hear what everyone else used and liked.

I felt so lost when picking a baby carrier too! There's just so many out there, and as a first-time mum you don't really know what you're looking for. I liked having a carrier that was easy to wear and took up minimal space, so went for an X sling - the material is soft and comfortable and it has a contemporary design. It was also reasonably priced compared to some of the other ones out there!

Would definitely recommend - super convenient and simple which is what you want as a new mum!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and wellness
As another first-time mum, this is really helpful to know! I think I'll go have a look at getting one of these X slings - sounds like exactly what I need. Thanks for the rec!

Reactions: eternity
You're very welcome! Yes, definitely have a look, it's such a help having baby close and hands-free!

So true! You want to have them close enough to hear your every sigh and whimper, but also need to have hands free to either comfort other children, cook dinner or just generally try and keep up with everything else life demands of us mums!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu