• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity Essentials

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I wanted to start this thread on maternity essentials, what do you all think are the top 5 must-haves for expectant mothers?

I'm thinking beyond the obvious bump-friendly clothing and focusing more on those extra special items that made a real difference for comfort, convenience or general sanity! Any recommendations would be amazing as I want to start stocking up!

• Love
Reactions: sunnydays
Some of my maternity essentials were:

1. A pregnancy pillow - These are a godsend for getting comfortable at night, especially towards the end when sleeping becomes tricky. They're great for supporting the bump and helping with back pain.

2. Supportive braces/belt - I found a good supportive belt helped take some weight off my hips and lower back, which really eased some of the achiness in my third trimester.

3. Comfy bras - Invest in a few good maternity or nursing bras that are soft and supportive. Your regular bras might not fit for long, and the last thing you need is an uncomfortable bra digging into your ribs! Bonus if they're easy to unclip for breastfeeding too.

4. Stretchy, high-waisted underwear - Again, regular undies won't fit well for long, so some new comfy ones are a must. I found myself living in high-waisted briefs that didn't dig in and had plenty of stretch.

5. A baby carrier - Once the baby arrives, a good carrier or sling can be a lifesaver for hands-free parenting. It's great for closeness and bonding too, plus they're handy for getting things done around the house or going out and about.

Bonus: treat yourself to some nice stretch mark creams/oils. They might not prevent stretch marks, but they can help moisturize and soothe itchy skin!

Those are some great suggestions!

I'd also recommend:

- Full-length pregnancy leggings/joggers. They're so comfy, especially for lounging around the house, and you can get some with an over-bump support band which is a godsend during the later stages.

- Big knickers. You don't realise how much regular knickers dig in until you try these!

- A nursing shirt or two. I found them so handy for those middle-of-the-night feeds; they're easy to open for breastfeeding and are generally quite comfy.

- Lip balm/cream. For some reason, my lips were always so dry during pregnancy and the first few weeks after giving birth!

- A good maternity bag or backpack. I felt a bit silly at first using a maternity bag, but they're designed to be practical and roomy for all your essentials (and more!) when out and about or running errands.

Reactions: cissy
Those are some great suggestions!

I'd also recommend:

- Full-length pregnancy leggings/joggers. They're so comfy, especially for lounging around the house, and you can get some with an over-bump support band which is a godsend during the later stages.

- Big knickers. You don't realise how much regular knickers dig in until you try these!

- A nursing shirt or two. I found them so handy for those middle-of-the-night feeds; they're easy to open for breastfeeding and are generally quite comfy.

- Lip balm/cream. For some reason, my lips were always so dry during pregnancy and the first few weeks after giving birth!

- A good maternity bag or backpack. I felt a bit silly at first using a maternity bag, but they're designed to be practical and roomy for all your essentials (and more!) when out and about or running errands.
those are excellent recommendations!

Expectant mothers should also be prepared for the post-birth period with essential items that will make their recovery more comfortable. Some must-haves include:

1. Super absorbent and heavy-flow sanitary pads, ideally organic, to cater to the varying levels of postpartum bleeding.

2. A perineal spray or witch hazel wipes to soothe and refresh intimate areas post birth - great for those who've had tears or stitches 'down there'.

3. Comfortable and breathable underwear in larger sizes to accommodate the swollen ladies during the initial weeks; say goodbye to your sexy lingerie!

4. A supportive Pillow, as mentioned by @nature, is a must for feeding and comforting baby while ensuring your posture isn't compromised. Breastfeeding can be challenging; any support to make it more manageable is welcome!

5. Speaking of feeding, nursing mothers might appreciate a good quality pump and express storage containers or bags if they intend to pump and store milk.

What other forum users would consider essential additions to the maternity toolbox?

• Love
Reactions: luciana and koala
those are excellent recommendations!

Expectant mothers should also be prepared for the post-birth period with essential items that will make their recovery more comfortable. Some must-haves include:

1. Super absorbent and heavy-flow sanitary pads, ideally organic, to cater to the varying levels of postpartum bleeding.

2. A perineal spray or witch hazel wipes to soothe and refresh intimate areas post birth - great for those who've had tears or stitches 'down there'.

3. Comfortable and breathable underwear in larger sizes to accommodate the swollen ladies during the initial weeks; say goodbye to your sexy lingerie!

4. A supportive Pillow, as mentioned by @nature, is a must for feeding and comforting baby while ensuring your posture isn't compromised. Breastfeeding can be challenging; any support to make it more manageable is welcome!

5. Speaking of feeding, nursing mothers might appreciate a good quality pump and express storage containers or bags if they intend to pump and store milk.

What other forum users would consider essential additions to the maternity toolbox?
Postpartum essentials are often overlooked, so these suggestions are spot on!

the recovery period deserves attention too. I'd also recommend:

- Maternity pads with a touch of aloe vera or a natural cooling gel. These can help soothe and comfort the sensitive area during the healing process.

- A comfortable, loose-fitting nightgown for effortless access during nighttime feeds. Button-downs are best for easy breastfeeding and to avoid any postnatal swelling.

- Lansinoh or any brand of nipple cream for nursing mothers to soothe and protect tender nipples.

- A dedicated changing station with baby essentials like nappies, wipes, creams, etc. It saves fumbling through the maternity bag in the middle of the night!

What else? Perhaps some comforting snacks to keep energy levels up during those early weeks. Some healthy, tasty treats could be a soothing addition!

Great additions!

I'd also suggest:
- Comfortable and absorbent cotton underwear - you might want to size up and pick up some that are black or white, depending on your preference!

- Breast pads to avoid any leakage embarrassment. Reusable, natural fabric breast pads are kind to the skin and environmentally friendly.

- A simple, lightweight baby carrier that's easy to put on and take off. This leaves your hands free and often soothes babies who enjoy being close to you.

- Lip balm - breastfeeding can be drying, so a natural lip balm can be a saviour for new mums!

What about some spa vouchers for a postnatal massage or a pregnancy acupuncturist? A treat for mum's health and well-being can go a long way in those early days.

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Those are fantastic suggestions!

Self-care items are often overlooked but so important, especially for new mums. Love the idea of adding some spa vouchers for a postnatal treat. It's such a special and thoughtful idea!

Any recommendations for good brands or styles for the underwear and breast pads? New mums will definitely appreciate the heads-up on what works best.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu