• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Maternity essentials share your product picks

stargazer

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There are several must-have maternity products that can make pregnancy more comfortable. Support pillows, including pregnancy and body pillows, are highly recommended for comfort, especially when trying to sleep. Maternity leggings and jeans with an elastic waist are essential, as are flowy dresses and light, stretchy tops. Harem pants are another comfortable option, as are open cardigans to keep you warm during your pregnancy.

For bags, a stylish and spacious diaper bag backpack is a convenient hands-free choice that doesn't look like a typical diaper bag. Additionally, maternity wear can be pricey, so it's recommended to invest in pieces that make you feel comfortable and put together but can also be worn post-partum, like bump-accommodating jackets and cardigans, and nursing tops.

Some other useful items are scarves that can be worn as a cover-up for feeding or to conceal the bump, and of course, maternity pillows, which provide much-needed support and comfort during pregnancy.

Hi everyone!

I'd love to hear about some must-have maternity products for new moms-to-be. I want to be prepared and not caught off guard, so any recommendations are welcome!

Some of the basics I've already noted down but I'd love to hear specific brands or styles that have worked for you. And any other gems you found along the way too!

1. Maternity jeans - I'm thinking a comfortable pair that can be dressed up or down and will last throughout pregnancy.
2. Top picks for maternity leggings - again, comfortable and versatile would be great.
3. Bump support or pregnancy pillows - are there any that are a must-have for sleep or general comfort?
4. Bags/handbags - any that are spacious, stylish and practical for motherhood? I'd like something that doesn't scream 'diaper bag' but has all the functions of one!
5. Clothing essentials - beyond the basics, what other garments did you swear by during pregnancy?
Can't wait to hear your recommendations!

• Haha
Reactions: koala
1. For maternity jeans go for brands like Topshop, ASOS, or H&M! They have flexible waistbands and are fairly priced.

2. Leggings-wise, I found myself living in the ones from motherhoodmaternity.com - they have an excellent selection, and the belly band really helps too!

3. For bump support, the Boppy pregnancy pillow was a godsend. It's also great for breastfeeding later on.

4. For bags, the Diaper Bag Backpack from Babymel is stylish, spacious, and so convenient as a hands-free option. You'd never guess it's a diaper bag!

5. I found light, flowy dresses were my go-to for most of my pregnancy - easy access and cool in the warmer months. I loved the ones from H&M's mum-to-be collection.

Also, a good tip is to not overlook your regular clothing! I found some of my loose, stretchy tops and dresses worked well too and were comfy enough to keep wearing post-pregnancy.

• Love
Reactions: mamamia
Great recommendations!

I'd second the bump support pillows - they're a life saver, especially for getting some comfort during sleep.

Also, on the clothing front, I found myself living in harem pants through my pregnancy - the elastic waist and flowy nature meant they were super comfortable, and they looked cute too. I got mine from a small boutique but have seen similar styles on ASOS.

I also liked that I could still wear my regular loose-fit cardigans and jackets open over my bump - gave me some extra warmth when needed and didn't feel like I was wearing tents!

• Love
Reactions: sportytina
Bump support pillows are a must-have; they're so helpful for getting some shuteye and also provide comfort during the day. Harem pants are a brilliant idea - elasticated waist and roomy too, perfect for pregnancy. I also wore open cardigans to accommodate my bump, which provided some much-needed extra warmth and didn't swallow me up either!

Reactions: wellness
Support pillows are definitely a pregnancy staple - they're versatile and multifunctional! Harem pants and open cardigans sound like great additions too, especially for comfort during the day. I found that pregnant leggings were also a godsend - the over-the-bump support was so comfy and kept everything in place! And it's a bonus that they're also perfect for post-partum.

For sure, pregnancy pillows are a maternity essential I can vouch for! I found that having a pillow designed to provide extra support really helped with comfort - especially when trying to get some shut eye.

The leggings recommendation is also spot on; over-the-bump support is such an added bonus and they're so comfortable - it's great to have maternity wear that works post-partum too!

• Love
Reactions: musical
Pillows designed to provide extra support are a must-have for sure, along with comfy leggings! I found that the right pillow made a huge difference for comfort levels, which is so important given how tired you can feel while pregnant. Would love to hear other recommendations - especially clothing essentials as maternity wear can be pricey!

Pillows are a good shout - I found a body pillow especially helpful. Also recommend investing in some good maternity jeans and tops - stuff that's comfy but also makes you feel put together, which is important for your mental state when pregnant and postnatal too! I liked having some nice loose dresses too - great for breastfeeding once baby arrives, and you don't feel like you're boiling!

Pillows are a must-have! I found them so helpful for getting comfy when trying to sleep. And good call on the maternity wear - anything comfortable but also makes you feel good is such a great idea. I loved wearing dresses too, especially loose ones - they're so easy and cool in the warmer weather, and breastfeeding friendly which is a huge bonus!

BQcDAAAAAwoDanBnAAAABC5vdXQKFkJuaV9fU1Z4NEJHQnJnME1La1IxMVEAAAACaWQKAXgAAAAEc2l6ZQ.jpg

Pillows are an excellent idea - all the support for your body without the bulk of a pregnancy pillow! And I completely agree on the dresses, especially loose and flowing ones - so comfortable and you look instantly put together. That's a cute maternity style pic too, thanks for sharing!

Love the idea of pillows providing support - so many positions to get comfy in & great for nursing too. Loose dresses are a godsend; I felt so comfortable yet put together which is such a mood booster when you're feeling huge! That bump pic is giving me all the heart eyes, thanks for sharing your recommendations too x

• Haha
Reactions: nature and luciana
Pillows are an absolute God send and so multi functional!! I lived in loose fitting tee dresses and found that a few good nursing tops were perfect as you could layer a vest underneath and then adjust as your size changes and feed easily. Also really comfy for pregnancy too without being constricting - win win! x

Reactions: stargazer
Absolutely agree on pillows and nursing tops!! I found that I lived in my maternity leggings with the nursing tops layered over top and of course, pillows everywhere!!! So helpful for feeding, support, comfort - everything! x

Reactions: musical
Pillows are definitely a must-have! I didn't get any nursing tops, so I just lived in my maternity leggings and dresses. Wishing you all the comfort in those last few weeks!

• Love
Reactions: stargazer
Pillows are a great idea - I'm all about comfort right now! Leggings have been my saviour throughout - might have to invest in some new dresses too, they sound so comfy!

Reactions: travelmum
Pillows are a big yes! I found dresses super comfy too - especially the loose fitting, flowy ones. They're nice and cool as well which is an added bonus. Also a big fan of those big long scarves that can be worn multiple ways - they're a great cover up for feeding.

Reactions: cissy and wellness
Pillows are a must-have! I lived in flowy dresses too, especially as the weather warmed up—so comfortable and cool. I also found my big pashmina style scarves got lots of use as a nursing cover and for tying around my waist to help hide the bump/post baby tummy!

Pillows are a great idea! I didn't realise they'd be so versatile - that's really clever what you did with the scarves too, I'll have to remember that!

Thanks! Yes pillows are so useful and a must have on my list especially for breastfeeding and getting baby to settle. The scarf trick is genius isn’t it! I got given some long thin muslins which work perfectly - like a baby burka haha! anything to keep them snug and settled.

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu