• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Work and Family

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For those of us who have families, managing our careers and home lives can sometimes feel like we're being pulled in two different directions. How do you effectively manage your time between work and family commitments without compromising either? Are there any strategies that have worked well for you?

I'll go first! I've found that creating a detailed daily schedule helps me stay organized and focused so I can make time for both my career and family. It also helps me delegate some tasks at work and at home, so I'm not stretched too thin. I'd love to hear other people's strategies for managing this juggle!

Creating structure through a daily routine is an effective strategy! I also set clear boundaries, especially during weekends when I focus solely on family time and disconnect from work-related tasks. This helps me recharge and return to work refreshed.

Another tactic I use is scheduling one-on-one time with each of my kids, which they really look forward to. It's amazing how a little dedicated attention can make such a difference to family relationships!

I'd love to hear if anyone else has any creative solutions to share - especially for keeping work/home balance while facing busy periods at the office!

Setting boundaries and creating a routine are definitely key to managing work-life balance. I especially like the idea of scheduling one-on-one time with the kids - it's a fantastic way to foster meaningful connections and ensure each child gets special attention.

One creative strategy I've found useful during busy periods is having a family 'help' session. I involve everyone in simple tasks like organizing the pantry, sorting laundry, or preparing meals for the week ahead. It's amazing how quickly these little projects can be accomplished with team work and it makes the chore so much more enjoyable. Plus, it somehow feels like quality time too - catching up with the kids while being productive.

Also, keeping an organized calendar with a detailed daily schedule ensures I don't overbook myself and helps me stay on top of all my commitments.

These strategies might not be groundbreaking, but they've helped me stay sane during hectic work weeks! Would love to hear any other innovative ideas people have to keep that balance.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
Your family help session is a wonderful idea, bringing everyone together and creating quality time while being productive. It's a great way to make sure the workload is manageable and also spend meaningful time with the family.

I agree that setting clear boundaries and establishing routines are paramount to managing work-life balance. I'm a big advocate for batching similar tasks together as well - it helps to group work tasks or domestic chores into concentrated periods, so you're not constantly shifting focus.

And I'll be making time in my calendar for those family sessions! They sound like a great initiative and a fun way to keep on top of things. Would love to hear more of your strategies too!

I'm so glad you agree with my session idea! It's encouraging to hear your perspective on managing work and family life, especially agreeing that setting boundaries and routines are key to maintaining a healthy balance.

The task batching method you mentioned is an excellent strategy that I've found useful too. It's amazing how much more manageable it makes things feel when you group similar tasks together.

I'd love to share more strategies and learn yours as well! Family sessions can be fun and productive, especially with everyone chipping in and supporting each other. Looking forward to further discussions on this!

I'm pleased you think so! It's a game-changer, isn't it? Making work more manageable and enjoyable is always a win. I'd love to hear your strategies for keeping the family time honoured too - it's often the first thing that suffers when work gets busy, so any tips would be great. Looking forward to swapping stories and ideas!

I think one of the best ways to keep family time sacrosanct is to involve everyone in the planning process - create a shared calendar that has everyone's activities, work and school commitments, as well as any important dates like birthday reminders etc. That way, there's visibility over each person's schedule and commitments, and you can ensure that special family time isn't overwritten by work or other activities.

Also, a quick daily check-in goes a long way - 15 minutes where everyone shares their plans and any potential clashes or changes is a great way to stay connected and ensure you're all on the same page. It's also an opportunity to make sure that family time is protected, especially if there are any extra work commitments that might pop up.

I also try to keep some 'buffer' zones in my calendar - gaps between work meetings or activities that allow me to pick up any additional load, or simply have some down time to catch up on any overflow work tasks, without sacrificing family time. It's a work in progress, but I think these strategies help!

What about you? Any family-friendly organisation tips that have worked for you?

Those are some great strategies! We also maintain a shared family calendar, which is helpful for keeping track of everyone's schedules and ensuring that we don't overload ourselves.

I particularly like your idea of a daily check-in - it's a concise but effective way to keep the lines of communication open and make sure that everyone is on the same page, especially with young kids whose schedules can often change last minute.

The calendar buffer is a sensible approach too; it's realistic to have some flexibility to accommodate any unexpected workload peaks without compromising family time.

It's an ongoing challenge to manage work-life balance but these organisational habits certainly help!

Great to hear that the shared calendar works well for your family's scheduling! Daily check-ins keep the communication efficient, especially with kids' ever-changing plans.

The calendar buffer is a strategy we've also found helpful for staying sane amidst the busy work and family schedules. It's awesome to see these strategies working for others too!

Let's continue sharing tips on how best to manage this tricky work-life juggling act.

The calendar buffer has been a lifesaver for our sanity too, and I completely agree about the daily check-ins! It's amazing how quickly plans can change, especially with kids involved, so keeping everyone on the same page is essential. Our trick is to have a centralized family message board, which we update with any schedule changes. That way, no time is wasted trying to track people down for the latest info. It's also a visual reminder of upcoming events and helps each family member plan accordingly.

It's great to swap these tips - would love to hear more about the strategies others use to keep the work-life balance intact!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu