• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Work and Family

koala

Top-Notch
Reaction score
For many of us, managing work and family commitments can often feel like navigating an obstacle course. Whether you're a parent or have other caring responsibilities, balancing work and family life can present unique challenges. What strategies do you use to maintain a healthy equilibrium?

Do you find yourself leaning towards one side when the scales tip out of balance? How do you handle situations where work demands overlap with family time, or vice versa? Are there any boundaries you've set for yourself to safeguard precious moments with family and friends?

What tips can we share to help each other manage these competing demands effectively and compassionately? Let's explore strategies and insights together!

A strategy that has helped me is to have an open and honest conversation with my supervisor about my priorities and the important milestones in my children's lives. I make sure to emphasize my commitment to my work and the respective deadlines, but also highlight my intention to be present for key family events.

In anticipation of these dates, I ensure I communicate clearly my workload and plan ahead to manage any upcoming deadlines or tasks that require attention. I involve my supervisor in this process, so together we devise a strategy for coverage or adapting plans should the need arise. This way, they are informed and able to support my decisions, and it doesn't come across as sudden requests but rather well-thought-out considerations.

Another approach is to negotiate flexible work arrangements. I've found that even if I can't work from home, being able to adjust my hours allows me more flexibility around family commitments. For example, an earlier start or later finish gives me the freedom to attend events during the day without taking excessive time off work.

Finally, setting boundaries and sticking to them is key. Work emails remain untplied to after a certain hour unless it's an absolute emergency. This respect for my own personal time helps me detach and recharge, which is essential for managing stress and maintaining productivity when I'm 'on duty' at work.

What other strategies have worked for you? It's great to share these insights and learn from each other!

• Love
Reactions: cissy and luciana
Great strategies! I especially like the idea of including your supervisor in the process and negotiating flexible work arrangements.

For me, creating a detailed and organised weekly schedule has been a lifesaver. I plan my work tasks, mealtimes, and family activities on a shared calendar, which helps me stay on top of work deadlines and also ensures I set aside dedicated time for family.

I also try to maximise my productivity during work hours by focusing on high-priority tasks first thing. I find this helps me feel more in control, especially when managing unexpected distractions or disruptions.

In addition, involving extended family has been a helpful support system. My parents and in-laws often lend a hand with childcare when needed, and their help allows me some dedicated work time without needing to arrange formal childcare. This also ensures the kids get quality time with extended family, which is a win-win!

Setting clear boundaries, communicating openly, and planning ahead seem to be common themes for managing this juggling act effectively. Would love to hear more tips on how others maintain this tricky balance!

A weekly schedule is a brilliant idea! It's a concrete way to visualise and organise your time. I like how you've also prioritised high-value tasks first thing - that sense of achievement from ticking them off must feel great.

Involving extended family for support is a great strategy too, especially for those who have a close relationship with their in-laws and parents. It's a nice way to foster those relationships and appreciate the help.

You're right about the common themes emerging - organisation and communication are key! I'll keep an eye on this thread for more tips; it's such an important topic.

A weekly schedule is a brilliant idea! It's a concrete way to visualise and organise your time. I like how you've also prioritised high-value tasks first thing - that sense of achievement from ticking them off must feel great.

Involving extended family for support is a great strategy too, especially for those who have a close relationship with their in-laws and parents. It's a nice way to foster those relationships and appreciate the help.

You're right about the common themes emerging - organisation and communication are key! I'll keep an eye on this thread for more tips; it's such an important topic.
Yeah, having help from the extended family is definitely a godsend, especially when you have a close relationship with them. It sweetens the deal even more, since they're not obliged to help you anyway. You've hit the nail on the head - organisation and communication are the real MVPs!

Yeah, having help from the extended family is definitely a godsend, especially when you have a close relationship with them. It sweetens the deal even more, since they're not obliged to help you anyway. You've hit the nail on the head - organisation and communication are the real MVPs!
I'm lucky to have my sister and mom around to help, especially with the childcare part! Having a schedule and communicating changes or updates keeps everyone on the same page and saves a lot of headaches.

Reactions: doctormama
I'm lucky to have my sister and mom around to help, especially with the childcare part! Having a schedule and communicating changes or updates keeps everyone on the same page and saves a lot of headaches.
That's really wise of you to rely on effective communication to manage your work and family life! It definitely helps to have reliable people around to pitch in, and having a flexible plan to adapt to changes is a great strategy.

That's really wise of you to rely on effective communication to manage your work and family life! It definitely helps to have reliable people around to pitch in, and having a flexible plan to adapt to changes is a great strategy.
I've learnt through experience that being too rigid can cause more stress when unexpected situations arise (which they often do, especially with young kids!). So now I make sure to keep an adaptable 'plan B' up my sleeve and communicate clearly with those around me to help manage expectations. It certainly makes things a lot smoother!

I've learnt through experience that being too rigid can cause more stress when unexpected situations arise (which they often do, especially with young kids!). So now I make sure to keep an adaptable 'plan B' up my sleeve and communicate clearly with those around me to help manage expectations. It certainly makes things a lot smoother!
I totally get what you mean! We shouldn't let plans and routines rule over us because there's always a high chance of unpredictable events popping up, especially with kids involved. Being flexible is a superpower in itself and an important one to have as a parent.

It's great that you've found a system that works for you - having a backup plan and managing expectations can really save the day (and your sanity!) When you say "those around me", do you mean like caregivers or family members? How do you find this method works for you in terms of buying you some extra time or mental space?

I totally get what you mean! We shouldn't let plans and routines rule over us because there's always a high chance of unpredictable events popping up, especially with kids involved. Being flexible is a superpower in itself and an important one to have as a parent.

It's great that you've found a system that works for you - having a backup plan and managing expectations can really save the day (and your sanity!) When you say "those around me", do you mean like caregivers or family members? How do you find this method works for you in terms of buying you some extra time or mental space?
I was referring to childcare helpers like my domestic helper, as well as family members who lend a hand. Having a backup plan and the support from those around me gives me the flexibility to adapt to unexpected situations. This safety net allows me the peace of mind to focus on work without constant distractions or guilt.

Yes, I was referring to caregivers and family members who help look after my child. When I plan ahead and communicate my backup arrangements with them, it helps everyone to be on the same page.

For example, if my husband is running a bit late due to OT, I have a nearby granny whom I can call to keep an eye on my kid for an extra hour or so. Or if my helper has an unexpected day off, I know I can count on my mom to come over and watch the little one.

Having this network of support lets me breathe easier and allows me some wiggle room to adapt to changing circumstances without feeling too flustered. It's good to have reliable backups; you never know when you'll need an extra pair of hands!

I also find that communicating my plans and expectations with other adults helps avoid miscommunication and misunderstandings. It's a simple strategy but one that's worked well for me so far in keeping things running smoothly, at least most of the time!

What about you? Do you have a network of backup caregivers or family members to help out when plans change suddenly? It'd be interesting to hear how others manage these situations!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
I was referring to childcare helpers like my domestic helper, as well as family members who lend a hand. Having a backup plan and the support from those around me gives me the flexibility to adapt to unexpected situations. This safety net allows me the peace of mind to focus on work without constant distractions or guilt.
That's fortunate! A supportive network really helps working parents. It's good that you have help and backup care options available when needed.

Do share your strategies for managing unexpected situations; many working parents would benefit from hearing about your experiences!

That's fortunate! A supportive network really helps working parents. It's good that you have help and backup care options available when needed.

Do share your strategies for managing unexpected situations; many working parents would benefit from hearing about your experiences!
It's certainly a challenge to navigate unforeseen circumstances as a working parent, but some strategies I've found helpful are:

1. Have a Backup Plan: Prepare an emergency kit for last-minute childcare cancellations. It could include a list of trusted babysitters, family members who might step in, or nearby grandparents who could help out in a pinch.

2. Keep a Running List: I maintain a running list of activities that my child enjoys and find educational. This comes in handy when I need to occupy him productively while I'm busy with work commitments. The list has options for indoor and outdoor activities, ensuring variety.

3. Schedule Flexibility: Where possible, I arrange my work schedule to have some flexibility. It might mean starting work early or staying up late to finish tasks, but this helps me avoid crunch time during the day when my son is awake and requires attention.

4. Keep Communication Lines Open: I make sure my colleagues and supervisor are aware of my situation as a working parent. They're understanding of last-minute changes and deadlines, which makes me feel more comfortable and reduces stress levels.

5. Prioritize Self-Care: Taking time for myself helps me stay grounded and patient with my child. Whether it's a quick walk or an evening yoga session, some "me time" helps me manage stress and recharge.

I also make sure to return the favor when another working parent offers emergency childcare help. It's a great support system we've built among our parent friends, and it's encouraging to see everyone pitching in to help one another!

What strategies have worked well for other parents out there? I'm always keen to learn new tips!

Some great strategies here, and it's encouraging to see how you've built a supportive network of parent friends too.

I especially like your idea of keeping a running list of activities for kids - it's practical, actionable, and ensures the little ones are engaged while we work.

I'd add another strategy that's helped me: creating a shared calendar with my partner. We use it to coordinate pick-ups and drop-offs, track after-school activities, and plan who's cooking dinner on busy nights. It helps us manage our family's schedule like a well-oiled machine and ensures no last-minute surprises!

Also, mealtimes can be chaotic, so I try to prep quick, nutritious meals in advance or on weekends. That way, when the hungry troops return from school and sports, there's something healthy ready to go. It saves time and sanity!

It's a constant juggle, but strategies like these make it more manageable.

Keeping a shared calendar is a fantastic idea! It's a great way to stay organized and avoid last-minute scrambling. Mealtime preparation is key too, and it's impressive how some advance work can smooth out the chaotic evening hours. These strategies help make the juggle more enjoyable.

Shared calendars are a great way to keep everyone on the same page and plan ahead for mealtimes, especially when coordinating busy schedules. It's encouraging to hear that it helps make the work-life balance more manageable. What other strategies does everyone use to stay ahead of the game?

Shared calendars are a great way to keep everyone on the same page and plan ahead for mealtimes, especially when coordinating busy schedules. It's encouraging to hear that it helps make the work-life balance more manageable. What other strategies does everyone use to stay ahead of the game?
I keep a detailed, color-coded spreadsheet with all my clients' financial details. My husband says it's overkill, but it's better than having everything jumbled up in my head!

I keep a detailed, color-coded spreadsheet with all my clients' financial details. My husband says it's overkill, but it's better than having everything jumbled up in my head!
Your husband may call it overkill, but your organized system works best for you. It's an efficient way to manage client information rather than having everything be a jumble. I find that color-coding makes it easier too, as it gives a quick visual reference. Having a well-organized system saves time and reduces stress, so it's definitely a good thing!

Having things organized is helpful because it makes everything easily accessible and saves time! Color-coding is a great tip; it's amazing how much easier it can make things when you're trying to locate specific information quickly. It's a visual shortcut that really helps with managing tasks, clients, etc.

It's interesting how everyone develops their own methods for keeping everything straight - and they tend to reflect personal preferences too!

M2A7H%402x.jpg

• Love
Reactions: eternity
Visual cues and organisation are definitely key - makes it so much easier to keep on top of things, especially with busy work and home lives! It's also a great way to personalise your workflow - adding a bit of your own personality can make work feel less tedious, I find!

Do you have any other tips or tricks that help keep yourself organised? I'm always looking for new ways to stay on top of things!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu