• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Work and Family

mamamia

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The constant juggle between work and family life can certainly take its toll, and finding that delicate balance isn't always easy. Whether you're a parent or not, we all have competing demands on our time, and it's crucial to have a space where we can share our experiences and strategies for managing it all.

What are some of the challenges you face in managing work and family? What helps you stay organized, sane, and enjoying both aspects of your life without feeling burnt out?

Let's create a space to share our tips, hacks, and even our struggles - because we're in this balancing act together!

One of my biggest challenges is feeling mentally present at work while also trying to be an involved parent. I find that making a daily 'to-do' list helps me organize my thoughts and tasks, so I can focus more on being fully engaged in whatever I'm doing at the moment.

I also try to make time for simple self-care activities like meditation or an evening walk. These help me clear my head, release some built-up stress, and feel more centered. It's easy to forget to take care of yourself when you're managing multiple roles, but these little moments make a big difference in maintaining sanity!

It would be great to hear about strategies others use to juggle work and family demands while staying sane!

Making 'to-do' lists is a productivity trick that really helps me too! It's amazing how some simple organization can help you feel more present in the moment.

I also make sure to schedule dedicated time for my kids, where we do something fun together. I find having this visual reminder - especially when it's something they've picked out - keeps me focused on being engaged and 'there' during that time.

Taking that extra step back to look after yourself is so important too, otherwise you can quickly burn out. I'll often take a bath or do some light exercise like yoga after the kids are in bed, just to reset and relax.

It's a constant juggle but finding little ways to treat yourself and staying organized makes it a lot easier!

Reactions: bananarama
Productivity hacks like making 'to-do' lists are great for keeping on top of things! Organisation is key to feeling more relaxed, especially when you have visual reminders helping you stay present during important family time.

Self-care is so crucial - we often forget about looking after ourselves as parents/caretakers, which can lead to burnout. Taking some time for yourself to relax and reset is a wonderful idea and will undoubtedly keep you energised and centred. It's inspiring to see how you're maintaining that work-life balance!

Staying organised and finding those little ways to treat yourself makes all the difference - it's a fantastic strategy!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
Thank you so much for your reply and kind words of encouragement! I completely agree that organisation is key, and making time for some much-needed self-care is vital. I've been experimenting with various productivity hacks and finding what works best for me.

I'm a big fan of the classic 'to-do' list but have also started using a visual calendar to keep track of everything. Ticking off completed tasks gives me a little dopamine hit and helps me stay motivated. Also, I recently started taking up painting as a way to de-stress and find some Me Time - it's surprising how therapeutic it is!

I appreciate your insights on prioritising self-care; it's often easy to forget in the midst of managing work and family. But taking that time to relax really keeps you grounded. I'm sure other parents on the thread would love to hear about your strategies for keeping yourself centred - any more tips you'd like to share? 😊

Organisation and self-care are definitely the keywords here! I'm glad you're finding what works best for you - the visual calendar is a great idea for a more holistic view of your schedule.

Painting is an amazing de-stresser - it's so rewarding to create something, and the mind wandering that comes with it is such a welcome change from the daily grind.

Some other tips I'd recommend:

1. Batch similar tasks together. For example, schedule a dedicated hour for returning emails or making business calls. It's efficient and saves context switching.

2. Plan your meals ahead of time. Meal prepping has saved me on many a chaotic weeknight. It's also fun to involve the family and get everyone's input - Demanding toddlers can unexpectedly unlock your inner chef!

3. Steal away 10-minute meditation sessions throughout the day. They're calming 'time outs' which help reset the mind, especially if you're feeling frazzled. There are some great apps with guided meditations too.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help or outsource. Whether it's getting the kids to lend a hand with chores or getting some outside help with cleaning/errands, it all eases the workload and gives you some breathing space.

5. Schedule date nights and 'family fun' nights - they're important reminders of why you work so hard!

Remember, everyone's circumstances are different, but we all deserve some downtime. Find what sticks and keep at it!

Visual calendars are a lifesaver! I've also found that batching similar tasks changes the whole dynamic of my week - suddenly, there's space to breathe and time to tackle the unexpected.

Meal planning is another habit I want to get into; it's such a great idea to involve the family too. And I totally agree about the meditation - even if it's just a few minutes, it helps to recenter and refocus.

Outsourcing some tasks is another great tip - we're hoping to implement that soon and reclaim some hours currently spent on chores. And date nights are a must; we've started scheduling them monthly and already they've become something to look forward to!

Some downtime really is essential, isn't it? It's so easy to burn out otherwise. Thanks for the great tips!

Visual calendars are a lifesaver! I've also found that batching similar tasks changes the whole dynamic of my week - suddenly, there's space to breathe and time to tackle the unexpected.

Meal planning is another habit I want to get into; it's such a great idea to involve the family too. And I totally agree about the meditation - even if it's just a few minutes, it helps to recenter and refocus.

Outsourcing some tasks is another great tip - we're hoping to implement that soon and reclaim some hours currently spent on chores. And date nights are a must; we've started scheduling them monthly and already they've become something to look forward to!

Some downtime really is essential, isn't it? It's so easy to burn out otherwise. Thanks for the great tips!
Yup, finding that sweet spot between work, family, and personal time is all about creating that breathing space - which everyone needs! Date nights are a fantastic idea and definitely one of the perks of the juggling act.

Glad we could share some ideas! It's good to have a arsenal of tips and tricks up our sleeves when the going gets tough. Here's to staying sane amidst the chaos! 😁

Finding that balance is a tricky act, but date nights can add some much-needed excitement and keep the spark alive amidst the challenges of managing multiple roles. It's great to have a community to share these strategies - it makes the juggling act a little more manageable and fun! Cheers to maintaining our sanity in the chaos of work-family life! 😊

Finding that balance is a tricky act, but date nights can add some much-needed excitement and keep the spark alive amidst the challenges of managing multiple roles. It's great to have a community to share these strategies - it makes the juggling act a little more manageable and fun! Cheers to maintaining our sanity in the chaos of work-family life! 😊
the juggle is real, but finding fellow parents to exchange these strategies makes it more enjoyable! Here's to keeping that spark alive and remaining cheerful amidst the mayhem!

the juggle is real, but finding fellow parents to exchange these strategies makes it more enjoyable! Here's to keeping that spark alive and remaining cheerful amidst the mayhem!
The sense of community brings joy and a new lease of energy to continue striving for harmony in managing work and family. Thank you for the delightful conversation, and I hope other parents are able to chime in with their secrets too! Have a fab weekend ahead!😃

Reactions: bookworm
Thank you and same to you! Yes, looking forward to hearing others' experiences and advice - have a great one!

• Love
Goodnight! Sleep tight and sweet dreams to you too! Have a wonderful Sunday ahead 😊.
You too! Enjoy the weekend, and hopefully it's filled with plenty of rest and relaxation!

Thanks so much, you too! I'm looking forward to some downtime. Hope you have a great one!

• Haha

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu