• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

wellness

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing a toddler's behavior can be a challenge, especially when they're at an age where they're just learning to express themselves but don't yet have the vocabulary to explain what they need. Here are some tips gathered from parents on ways to help manage those tricky tantrums and encourage good behavior:

1) Give them choices: One effective method is offering your little one simple choices to empower them to make decisions. For instance, ask "Would you like to wear your red or blue shirt today?" This gives them a sense of control while also guiding them towards appropriate options.

2) Create routines and provide structure: Toddlers feel secure when they know what to expect. Establish daily routines for mealtimes, naps, and playtime. Use visual schedules or routine charts to prepare them for what's next - "First we finish our lunch, then it's nap time!"

3) Time-outs and redirection: When your toddler misbehaves, a time-out can be an effective consequence. Keep it brief, 1 minute per year of age is a good rule of thumb. And always follow up with a discussion about what went wrong and why we need to behave differently. Redirection also helps, especially in public - if they're about to misbehave, quickly distract them and take their focus elsewhere.

4) Catch them being good: Toddlers crave attention and positive reinforcement. When you see them displaying good behavior, make sure to praise them abundantly! This reinforces the positive action and encourages repetition. A simple "Thank you for being so patient while we finished lunch!" goes a long way.

5) Explain and distract: When your toddler throws a tantrum, remain calm and use the opportunity to teach them an important life lesson on regulating emotions. Acknowledge their feelings ("I know you're upset because you want the toy"), then quickly follow up with a distraction or solution. ("But we don't throw things when we're angry. Let's take a deep breath together.")

6) Toddler-sized responsibilities: Assigning age-appropriate chores can help your little one feel involved and important. Simple tasks like setting the table or putting away their toys fosters a sense of independence and responsibility. It also teaches them about the value of contributing to the family.

7) Show empathy and understanding: When your toddler has a meltdown, try to remember that their emotions are just as real as yours, even if the reason seems minuscule to you. Empathy goes a long way ("I know it's disappointing when your tower falls over. It's frustrating, isn't it?") as does helping them identify and verbalize their feelings ("Are you feeling angry/sad/frustrated right now?").

What works best for you in managing your toddler's behavior? Have any of these tips worked well or do you have any unique strategies to share?

Managing a toddler's behavior can be a challenge, especially when they're at an age where they're just learning to express themselves but don't yet have the vocabulary to explain what they need. Here are some tips gathered from parents on ways to help manage those tricky tantrums and encourage good behavior:

1) Give them choices: One effective method is offering your little one simple choices to empower them to make decisions. For instance, ask "Would you like to wear your red or blue shirt today?" This gives them a sense of control while also guiding them towards appropriate options.

2) Create routines and provide structure: Toddlers feel secure when they know what to expect. Establish daily routines for mealtimes, naps, and playtime. Use visual schedules or routine charts to prepare them for what's next - "First we finish our lunch, then it's nap time!"

3) Time-outs and redirection: When your toddler misbehaves, a time-out can be an effective consequence. Keep it brief, 1 minute per year of age is a good rule of thumb. And always follow up with a discussion about what went wrong and why we need to behave differently. Redirection also helps, especially in public - if they're about to misbehave, quickly distract them and take their focus elsewhere.

4) Catch them being good: Toddlers crave attention and positive reinforcement. When you see them displaying good behavior, make sure to praise them abundantly! This reinforces the positive action and encourages repetition. A simple "Thank you for being so patient while we finished lunch!" goes a long way.

5) Explain and distract: When your toddler throws a tantrum, remain calm and use the opportunity to teach them an important life lesson on regulating emotions. Acknowledge their feelings ("I know you're upset because you want the toy"), then quickly follow up with a distraction or solution. ("But we don't throw things when we're angry. Let's take a deep breath together.")

6) Toddler-sized responsibilities: Assigning age-appropriate chores can help your little one feel involved and important. Simple tasks like setting the table or putting away their toys fosters a sense of independence and responsibility. It also teaches them about the value of contributing to the family.

7) Show empathy and understanding: When your toddler has a meltdown, try to remember that their emotions are just as real as yours, even if the reason seems minuscule to you. Empathy goes a long way ("I know it's disappointing when your tower falls over. It's frustrating, isn't it?") as does helping them identify and verbalize their feelings ("Are you feeling angry/sad/frustrated right now?").

What works best for you in managing your toddler's behavior? Have any of these tips worked well or do you have any unique strategies to share?
I've had success with creating routines and giving my child simple choices. He seems to thrive on the predictability of knowing what's next, especially during meal and bedtimes.

Keeping a consistent nap time has also been a godsend for managing his energy levels and mood. I make sure to keep that time sacrosanct, so he gets adequate rest, which helps with his overall behavior.

Also, giving him age-appropriate chores has been an excellent way to channel his energy productively. He feels involved and proud when he contributes, which is a huge encouragement! I typically have him help with simple tasks like sorting silverware or placing napkins on the table.

I've also found that diverting his attention works wonders in public places. Pointing out interesting sights or initiating a game helps to distract him from potential misbehaviors and melts downs.

What other tactics do you think could be useful when managing a toddler's behavior? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!

Reactions: luciana
I've had success with creating routines and giving my child simple choices. He seems to thrive on the predictability of knowing what's next, especially during meal and bedtimes.

Keeping a consistent nap time has also been a godsend for managing his energy levels and mood. I make sure to keep that time sacrosanct, so he gets adequate rest, which helps with his overall behavior.

Also, giving him age-appropriate chores has been an excellent way to channel his energy productively. He feels involved and proud when he contributes, which is a huge encouragement! I typically have him help with simple tasks like sorting silverware or placing napkins on the table.

I've also found that diverting his attention works wonders in public places. Pointing out interesting sights or initiating a game helps to distract him from potential misbehaviors and melts downs.

What other tactics do you think could be useful when managing a toddler's behavior? I'm always on the lookout for new ideas!
Diverting their attention is definitely a lifesaver in public, and it's great that you've found what works best for your child. Being proactive with interesting sights or games certainly helps keep melt-downs at bay!

For managing tricky situations, I've realised that preparing simple snacks can be a handy distraction technique, especially for when you're out and about. Toddler attention spans can be fleeting, so having their favorite treats or a small, engaging snack might help redirect their focus when they start getting antsy.

Also, if all else fails and a meltdown happens (they're bound to happen eventually!), I'd recommend having a calm-down bag ready. It's something my mom used for me and my siblings when we were growing up, and it's a helpful tool for our little ones to self-regulate their emotions. It's a small tote with calming sensory toys like playdough or a stress ball, and also has some of their favorite tiny toys too. Having them 'fish' for objects in the bag buys me enough time to finish up whatever errands I have, and it teaches them to soothe themselves as well.

Beyond that, I find that using phrases like 'remember what happened last time...' can help, especially when they're at the cusp of a meltdown. It prompts them to reflect on past experiences and the consequences, which might help them make better choices. Of course, it's crucial to follow up with plenty of praise when they make those good decisions! Do you have any funny stories or lessons learnt from your little one's tantrums? I think as exhausting and trying as it is, there's also so much laughter to be had in parenting toddlers!

Diverting their attention is definitely a lifesaver in public, and it's great that you've found what works best for your child. Being proactive with interesting sights or games certainly helps keep melt-downs at bay!

For managing tricky situations, I've realised that preparing simple snacks can be a handy distraction technique, especially for when you're out and about. Toddler attention spans can be fleeting, so having their favorite treats or a small, engaging snack might help redirect their focus when they start getting antsy.

Also, if all else fails and a meltdown happens (they're bound to happen eventually!), I'd recommend having a calm-down bag ready. It's something my mom used for me and my siblings when we were growing up, and it's a helpful tool for our little ones to self-regulate their emotions. It's a small tote with calming sensory toys like playdough or a stress ball, and also has some of their favorite tiny toys too. Having them 'fish' for objects in the bag buys me enough time to finish up whatever errands I have, and it teaches them to soothe themselves as well.

Beyond that, I find that using phrases like 'remember what happened last time...' can help, especially when they're at the cusp of a meltdown. It prompts them to reflect on past experiences and the consequences, which might help them make better choices. Of course, it's crucial to follow up with plenty of praise when they make those good decisions! Do you have any funny stories or lessons learnt from your little one's tantrums? I think as exhausting and trying as it is, there's also so much laughter to be had in parenting toddlers!
Having a calm-down bag is an innovative idea! Sensory toys are a great way to engage their attention and encourage them to settle down.

The memory-based prompt is an excellent, gentle reminder for them to reflect. I'll definitely give that a go! And you're right about finding humour in these situations - our kids say and do the funniest things don't they? They're so earnest in their anger or frustration, it's hard not to crack a smile when it's all over!

Story time has also been a lovely way to engage my little one and encourage good behaviour. Finding books with relatable storylines that tackle common toddler issues has helped me explain complex ideas in a simple, engaging way. If anyone has recommendations for good books on managing emotions, I'd love to hear them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu