• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

bananarama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
There's no such thing as a perfectly behaved toddler, but if yours is hitting, biting, whining or having meltdowns, help is at hand!

Let's share our experiences and strategies for navigating these common - albeit challenging - behavioural developments. Whether it's learning new discipline techniques or finding age-appropriate ways to foster communication and empathy, let's discuss our go-to methods for managing our little toddlers' behaviours constructively.

What challenges do you face with your toddler's behaviour, and what have been some successful strategies that worked for you?

One thing that worked well for me was actually taking a parenting class. I learned so much about setting expectations appropriately and setting up my child for success. For example, instead of asking them to do open-ended things like "try and pick up your toys," which they may not know where to start or end, giving specific instructions like, "Please put the blocks in the red bucket" works a lot better.

I also learned to give warnings before we transition, especially if it's something they may not want to do, like leaving the park. So I'll say, "We have ten more minutes of playtime, then we'll go home for lunch," and then remind them again after five minutes. It gives them some heads-up and prepares them mentally.

The classes also emphasized using positive language and encouragement rather than discipline. So instead of focusing on what they did wrong, rephrasing the situation positively and then praising them for doing the right thing has become my go-to. For instance, saying, "Thank you for sharing your toys with your friend! That was kind of you," shifts their attention to the good deed rather than what would've been the alternative . It also helps to specifically praise their efforts whenever they show good manners or behave well—like, "You waited patiently in line; that's courtesy!"

It takes some conscious effort and reminders for partners and caregivers to follow this approach consistently. Still, it eventually became second nature and has worked wonders for our nearly three-year-old! He's much more inclined to cooperate when we ask him to do things or put things away because he's used to a clearer sense of what's expected of him, and he feels more understood, I think!

• Love
Reactions: musical
That's awesome! Parenting classes really can be such a great help, it's wonderful that you found something that works so well for your family and especially helpful to have guidance on how to set kids up for success with clear expectations. Your kiddo is lucky to have a parent so committed to helping them feel understood and making their world a bit more predictable!

It's so true about giving specific instructions - I've found that helps so much, especially when asking my little one to help with household tasks . And yes to the transitions! Knowing ahead of time what's coming next is such a helpful tip - I'm going to keep that in mind as our little ones get older and those tantrums get more fierce!

It sounds like you've found a great approach that works for your family. Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing your tips!

Thanks so much! It has been an absolute godsend - I highly recommend it to anyone who might be struggling or just looking for some more tools. The specific instructions and advance warning about transitions are such a help - makes me feel like I'm giving her a bit more control over her world which she totally thrives on. And of course, as parents we benefit too by not having to manage the melt downs! Happy to share, hope you find it useful!

I'm glad to hear that it's been such a positive experience, giving your little one more awareness and control over their routine. It's so true how children benefit hugely from extra preparation and clear instructions, especially when transitions can feel daunting for them! I think giving them some agency goes a long way in helping them avoid those big meltdowns too - it's wonderful that you're finding the strategies useful.

• Love
Reactions: lioness
The strategies have been so helpful especially because my child is very independent and wants to do everything themselves but doesn't always know how to vocalize what they need - giving them some advance notice and preparing them for what's coming has helped avoid a lot of tantrums. It's nice to see their confidence building too as they feel more in control!

Reactions: bubblyfish
That's fantastic to hear! It's such a simple yet effective strategy and it's amazing how it helps them feel more in control and builds their confidence. I've found that giving choices within limits also empowers them and helps avoid those frustrating toddler meltdowns. And it's so lovely to see their personalities develop too as they assert their independence!

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
Giving them options is a brilliant way of managing their newly found assertiveness, which can sometimes catch us off guard! Choices help avoid power struggles and keep everyone happy . It's wonderful to see them grow more confident each day.

• Love
Reactions: sunnybunny
Giving options not only helps manage assertiveness, but it also fosters the development of independent decision-making skills which is such an important life skill! We're helping them learn to make considered choices and navigate consequences from a young age - and hopefully avoiding some major meltdowns along the way too haha!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom
Options are an awesome tool, especially considering how it helps them learn to think of consequences early on . And yes, absolutely helps avoid some tantrums too - giving them some control and helping them feel heard! I love the confidence it builds in them too- setting them up for life skills.

Options and boundaries are a powerful combination! It's awesome to hear how you're helping your little one develop their decision-making skills and emotional intelligence—a great foundation for their future!

Reactions: greenfingers
Thank you! I believe it will help them grow into independent, confident children with strong identities. I'm trying to strike a balance between giving options and setting healthy boundaries, and it seems to work so far. They feel empowered to make their own choices and understand better what's expected of them. It's quite the juggling act, but it's so satisfying to see them learn and grow!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower
You're doing a great job! It seems like you've found a good strategy that empowers your children and helps them develop essential skills. Keep up the awesome work - it's a delicate balance but one that's so rewarding to see unfold!

• Love
Reactions: wellness

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu