• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

queenie

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Here's some tips I've gathered over the years on the topic of managing toddlers' behavior:

1) Diversion Tactics: Often, toddlers throw tantrums because they are overwhelmed by big emotions and simply can't regulate yet. Instead of trying to logic them out of their feelings (e.g. "It's just a toy"), acknowledge the feeling and then redirect. For instance, say, "I know you're so upset right now, it's frustrating when things don't go your way. Let's go over here and look at the birds/leaves/clouds."

2) Choice Chandeling: Offer two choices to help them feel in control, e.g., "Do you want to wear the red shirt or the blue shirt today?" This helps toddlers feel empowered and avoids power struggles.

3) Time Out Tactics: Instead of a punitive timeout, use time outs proactively by creating a calm down space. Toddlers can go there when they're overwhelming or acting out. You can say, "It looks like you need a minute to calm down and reset. I'll be here when you're ready."

4) Physical Connection: Toddlers often act out after experiencing big, processed emotions because they don't know what else to do. Offering a hug or physical touch can help regulate their emotions and connect your relationship in a healthy way.

5) Short, Clear Directions: Keep requests simple, e.g., "Please put on your shoe now" rather than long-winded explanations that can overwhelm.

6) Visual Schedules: Use picture schedules to prepare toddlers for the day's activities, especially if you're going out or have guests coming over. This provides visual cues and reduces anxiety.

7) Sensory Breaks: If your toddler is extra sensitive, provide short sensory breaks throughout the day - a quick dance session, some jumping jacks, or a hug can help them reset.

8) Consistent Routine: A steady routine helps toddlers know what to expect and reduces power struggles. This includes consistent mealtimes, naptimes, and bedtime, which contributes to overall stability.

9) Open-ended Questions: Instead of yes/no questions, ask open ones to encourage communication e.g., "What do you think we should have for dinner tonight?"

10) Positive Reinforcement: Catch them being good! Point out and praise the behaviors you want to see more of, even the small things. This reinforces positive behavior and strengthens your connection.

I'd love to hear other parents' strategies for managing toddler behaviors constructively! What do you do to stay sane and keep your little ones on track?

Reactions: lioness
Some great tips here, especially about acknowledging their emotions rather than trying to logic them out of their feelings - I've found that works well with my toddler too.

I'd add that creating a bit of 'healthy' drama sometimes helps - if my toddler is particularly worked up and throwing a tantrum, I'll dramatically fake-cry which usually startles him enough to snap him out of it and he gets amused/laughs. Then we can talk about what's upsetting him without him being so overwhelmed by his emotions.

Also, for those tricky food battles, I try to offer a new food alongside a favorite one - seem to be getting more veggies in that way without too much protest!

And lastly, when all else fails and he's having a full-blown meltdown, I break into an exaggerated goofy dance - which usually gets a laugh and resets the mood! Toddler humor is the best!

Reactions: sunflower
Great additional tips! The fake-cry idea is a good one - I can see how that would really break through when they're worked up, and the element of surprise could be effective.

Love the food pairing idea too - will give that a go, especially as my little one can be super stubborn about new foods.

And yep, breaking into a silly dance is a great reset trick! Anything that lightens the mood is so helpful when they're in full meltdown mode. Sometimes I think they just need that physical release of laughter to help calm down and reset - even if it doesn't solve whatever the initial issue was.

So glad you're finding these ideas helpful! The food pairing and silly dance tricks are fantastic ways to lighten the mood, and I love hearing how they've worked for you.

It's such a challenge but so rewarding when we find those right strategies to help our little ones - especially during the intense toddler phase!

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
finding the right strategy is definitely half the battle - it makes managing the intense toddler phase a lot easier! And yes, bringing in some fun and laughter helps so much! Can't wait to hear more about what works for others too - especially need some fresh ideas for dealing with tantrums - my patience is being tested these days!

Laughter definitely goes a long way, and finding the right strategy is so true - it can make life much easier!

For tantrums, I've found that giving my child some space and time to calm down, but also letting them know I'm there for a hug when they're ready has been helpful. I also try to head off any potential meltowns by offering choices - like which toy to play with next or what snack to have, it helps them feel involved and in control .

It's great to hear others' tips too, as the fun and games can definitely be challenging at times!

That's a great strategy - giving them space but also letting them know you're there for when they're ready. I like the idea of offering choices too, it's a good way to avoid power struggles and also allows them to feel some independence!

I find keeping a routine, especially around meal times and nap times helps. Also having a few go-to activities that are quick and easy to set up, for when you need a few minutes to prepare dinner or just catch your breath, is a lifesaver! Some days are definitely easier than others but on the tough days, laughter really is the best medicine!

Those go-to activities are so clutch! And yes, routines are a godsend too - especially when you can make them fun routines! It's amazing how creative little ones can get when given some independent time, and it really does help to set up some boundaries with that independence.

Laughter truly is the best medicine on those harder days haha - gotta keep our sense of humour!

Routines and laughter are the key to managing toddler antics! Setting up fun, yet boundary-setting routines can be a lifesaver and help develop their emerging independence too. It's wonderful to witness their imaginations run wild when given some freedom within boundaries. And yes, keeping a sense of humour through the challenges is a great tactic!

Reactions: sunflower
So very true!! Toddlers are little balls of energy and mischief, and laughter really is the best medicine when they push your buttons! Establishing routines early helps them grasp the concept of boundaries too which is crucial at this stage. What specific strategies do you all use to keep the routine fun and engaging?

Creating a game out of it works wonders! For instance, making chores like picking up toys a competition - who can pick up the most in 2 minutes? And then having a little dance party afterwards to celebrate "beating the clock"! Or turning bath time into a silly splash festival with some fun, brightly coloured soap bubbles. You keep the routine but it feels novel each time so they stay engaged and keen to participate.

Reactions: travelmum
That's a great idea! Making mundane activities fun is a genius way of keeping them engaged and excited. I'll have to remember that tip for when my little one is older - turning it into a competition would definitely appeal to toddlers who are just figuring out the world of cause and effect. Love the dance party idea too - a great reward after 'beating the clock'!

Reactions: happyfeet
Love the idea of making activities fun & competitive - especially as a way to keep them engaged and excited. And creating a dance party at the end - awesome! A great way to make it an exciting learning experience for the little one!

Reactions: techsavvy
Thank you so much! I find that keeping things interactive and exciting helps with their focus too, especially when we're working on a particular skill. It's fun to make learning enjoyable for them! The dance party idea sounds like a great cool-down activity after some high-energy fun :)

• Haha
Reactions: nature
Making learning fun is such a great tactic, especially with keeping things interactive! It's awesome to hear that you've found an approach that works well and keeps everyone engaged - a bit of movement never hurt anyone, and can help reset those little energies too!

Reactions: wellness
Thanks for your kind words! It's definitely a challenge but an extremely rewarding one when you find what works. With toddlers especially, I've found that short attention spans dictate the need for a bit of creative thinking - it can't be too structured or else it becomes a chore for everyone. Keeping it fun and active is key to keeping them engaged and actually enjoying learning - and exhausting them enough for a good nap never hurts! :p

• Haha
Reactions: stargazer
Creative and fun it is then! I totally agree, some structure is needed otherwise we'd just end up running around in circles . I find keeping things snappy and engaging helps - especially when there's lots of movement involved! And yes, that exhausting factor is a definite bonus, ha! Naptime is sacred time for mamas everywhere!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu