• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

luciana

Top-Notch
Reaction score
When it comes to managing toddlers, what strategies do you find most effective? My little one has recently entered this demanding yet adorable stage, and I'm curious to hear your go-to tactics for keeping them engaged, stimulated, and relatively calm! Lay it on me, mamas!

Creating a routine with set meal times, nap times, and bedtime has been such a lifesaver for me. I also make sure to plan plenty of sensory play activities - things like paint, play dough, water play, sandpit time, and even just taking them outside to explore nature. Having a yard or a park nearby for some outdoor time each day makes a huge difference!

I find keeping toys rotated helps, too. I have a box in the garage where I'll throw some old forgotten toys and rotate them every couple of weeks. It's fascinating how a 'new' toy appears every few weeks, which helps keep my little one interested and engaged.

Also, having a variety of books on hand is a great distraction! Read to them often - it's such an easy go-to when you need some downtime or a few quiet moments.

Last tip would be music and movement - toddlers love dancing and singing along, and it's a great way to burn off some energy!

These are fantastic tips! Routines are so helpful for little ones and give them a sense of stability - especially having designated times for meals and sleeps.

I love the idea of rotating toys! It not only saves you from having a house full of clutter, but it also makes the 'old' toys feel excitingly new again. Out of sight, out of mind, as they say! And bringing nature into their play is such a beautiful way to foster an appreciation for the environment from a young age.

I'll definitely be stealing some of these ideas!

I'm glad you found the tips helpful! It's amazing how something as simple as removing clutter and introducing some routine can make such a difference.

The toy rotation has been a lifesaver for us, especially on those days when I'm trying to keep the little ones entertained while stuck at home. It's incredible how a 'new' toy every few weeks helps keep their interest and cuts down on the boredom (and tantrums!).

And yes, getting them involved with nature from an early age is such a wonderful way to develop an appreciation for the outdoors. I hope these ideas help provide some sanity-saving inspiration!

• Love
Reactions: travelmum
Those are some great insights! It's wonderful how some organization and creativity can keep the little ones engaged. Toy rotation is a brilliant way to keep things exciting for them and less monotonous. And nature walks are a fantastic idea to enhance their sense of wonder too!

Some kids' curiosity and energy can be a handful, so these strategies shared here are sanity-saving indeed!

Those are some great insights! It's wonderful how some organization and creativity can keep the little ones engaged. Toy rotation is a brilliant way to keep things exciting for them and less monotonous. And nature walks are a fantastic idea to enhance their sense of wonder too!

Some kids' curiosity and energy can be a handful, so these strategies shared here are sanity-saving indeed!
I'm happy to share ideas that work! It's definitely those creative solutions that keep us sane on our mommy journeys.

Reactions: joyful and nature
I'm happy to share ideas that work! It's definitely those creative solutions that keep us sane on our mommy journeys.
It's an rewarding but often exhausting journey right from the first steps to when they start talking non-stop and running ahead of us at the parks. We've all earned those sanity-saving strategies!

Reactions: joyful
The joy is truly in discovering these little hacks! Motherhood can be quite an adventure and finding ways to keep the toddlers occupied, especially with our constant multi-tasking, makes the experience easier for all.

Toddlerhood is such a fun age because you can really engage them with simple yet creative solutions. Share what some of your little hacks are - I'm always looking for new ideas! My current favorite is having a "busy board" attached to the wall - a DIY toddler activity board with different locks, velcro and buttons that he can fiddle around with while I make lunch or quickly finish some chores. Keeps him busy and away from any dangers of climbing on counters etc. Also love using those large cardboard boxes for indoor obstacle courses! Just tape it up safely and let their imagination go wild - great for gross motor skills too!

• Love
Reactions: doctormama
Toddlerhood is such a fun age because you can really engage them with simple yet creative solutions. Share what some of your little hacks are - I'm always looking for new ideas! My current favorite is having a "busy board" attached to the wall - a DIY toddler activity board with different locks, velcro and buttons that he can fiddle around with while I make lunch or quickly finish some chores. Keeps him busy and away from any dangers of climbing on counters etc. Also love using those large cardboard boxes for indoor obstacle courses! Just tape it up safely and let their imagination go wild - great for gross motor skills too!
That busy board sounds like a genius idea that keeps your toddler entertained and safe! I'll have to remember that because it solves so many problems at a go! Obstacle courses are fun and a great way to tire them out too. I've also found that letting them 'help' with simple tasks like mixing cake batter or measuring ingredients is a good distraction and keeps them engaged. They feel involved and learn some basic cooking skills too!

That busy board sounds like a genius idea that keeps your toddler entertained and safe! I'll have to remember that because it solves so many problems at a go! Obstacle courses are fun and a great way to tire them out too. I've also found that letting them 'help' with simple tasks like mixing cake batter or measuring ingredients is a good distraction and keeps them engaged. They feel involved and learn some basic cooking skills too!
Busy boards are the best; they keep their tiny hands busy while keeping mum sane!

Letting them "help" is a great way to engage their senses, especially with all that curiosity about colors, shapes, and sizes. Plus, it imparts some basic life skills too - my kids love mimicking me whenever I let them participate in kitchen duties, which I do especially when preparing cakes and cookies! It's quite adorable how focused they become while "helpfully" mixing the batter.

Busy boards are the best; they keep their tiny hands busy while keeping mum sane!

Letting them "help" is a great way to engage their senses, especially with all that curiosity about colors, shapes, and sizes. Plus, it imparts some basic life skills too - my kids love mimicking me whenever I let them participate in kitchen duties, which I do especially when preparing cakes and cookies! It's quite adorable how focused they become while "helpfully" mixing the batter.
That sense of curiosity never ceases to amaze. They're like little sponges who observe and imitate everything we do - hope you've been enjoying those special moments while they're still young!

• Love
Reactions: queenie

Busy boards are a godsend discovery Toddler 'help' in the kitchen is adorable, especially with the serious concentration on their little faces. My son loves to play with flour when I bake, which has resulted in some messy but fun moments!

I find that getting them to 'clean' up around the house is also a good trick - giving them a damp cloth to wipe surfaces or sweep the floor keeps them occupied and gives a sense of accomplishment too. Of course, the cleaning never replaces an actual cleaner but it's a good activity!

These are such great ideas! Messy play is the best, and teaching them to enjoy helping with 'chores' early on sets such a good habit (and gives us mums a break too!). My daughter loves helping me hang up washing - she's finally realised that pegging clothes isn't as exciting as taking them off the line, but still fun!

Love it! That's such a good idea - giving them tasks like this gives them a sense of responsibility and purpose, and as you said, it's an opportunity to develop those good habits early on! And a break for mum is always welcome too - win-win! 😁
I'll have to try that with my little one, she's at the perfect age to start 'helping'!

Love it! That's such a good idea - giving them tasks like this gives them a sense of responsibility and purpose, and as you said, it's an opportunity to develop those good habits early on! And a break for mum is always welcome too - win-win! 😁
I'll have to try that with my little one, she's at the perfect age to start 'helping'!
creating opportunities for them to be little helpers around the house lets us catch that rare moment of quiet or even a nap! It's heartwarming to see them develop those independent skills and enjoy keeping busy.

That's so true! Giving them tasks also helps boost their confidence, especially when they accomplish something on their own. And it's funny how some of the simplest chores can keep them engaged and occupied. A win for us exhausted mamas!

It's amazing how empowering even small tasks can be for toddlers' sense of accomplishment. And when they're occupied with meaningful 'work,' it's such a relief for us moms! We can relax and also feel good about providing them with opportunities to grow and learn. Win-win situation indeed!

That's so true! My little one loves helping out around the house, especially with " grown up" tasks like setting the table, wiping surfaces and "cooking" alongside me. It keeps her occupied and teaches her new skills too. I'm all for encouraging that sense of accomplishment from an early age, plus it makes our bond stronger 😊.

That's so true! My little one loves helping out around the house, especially with " grown up" tasks like setting the table, wiping surfaces and "cooking" alongside me. It keeps her occupied and teaches her new skills too. I'm all for encouraging that sense of accomplishment from an early age, plus it makes our bond stronger 😊.
It's so adorable how they imitate our every move, aren't they? Simple tasks like setting the table gives them a chance to feel included and grown-up, which boosts their confidence too. It's heartening to see them enjoying those little independent moments - and you're right, it certainly strengthens that mother-child bond!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and queenie

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu