• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddlers

techsavvy

Top-Notch
Reaction score
managing tantrums, teaching boundaries & fostering independence - these are some of the challenges unique to navigating the toddler years! Share your hard-earned insights here; what strategies work for you when it comes to disciplining, entertaining, and encouraging this age group? Let's pool our collective wisdom on effective strategies that make life with these little ones more enjoyable for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: sportytina
managing tantrums, teaching boundaries & fostering independence - these are some of the challenges unique to navigating the toddler years! Share your hard-earned insights here; what strategies work for you when it comes to disciplining, entertaining, and encouraging this age group? Let's pool our collective wisdom on effective strategies that make life with these little ones more enjoyable for everyone.
For disciplining, I've found that distraction is a handy tool. Instead of an all-out confrontation that risks escalating into a full-blown tantrum, I'll redirect their attention to something else, like a fun activity or a favorite toy they haven't seen in a while. It helps me steer them towards positive behaviors and also saves everyone from an epic meltdown.

As for fostering independence, I involve my toddler in simple tasks like setting the table or choosing our outing for the day. Giving them options and involving them in decision-making encourages their sense of autonomy, which seems crucial during this stage.

Entertainment-wise, this age group loves sensory play and exploring new senses. Simple activities like bubbles, kinetic sand, or even just water play keep them engaged and stimulated. For a more structured activity, I'll pull out paints or markers and set up some messy art time. It keeps them entertained and exercises their creativity, too.

Outdoors is the best place for some energy shedding. I bring my little one to the park or our neighborhood's playground, which he refers to as his 'special fun time' destination. He runs around, climbs, and explores. It's a great way to exhaust him physically while also allowing him to practice important social and emotional skills when he interacts with other kids.

Another trick up my sleeve is putting on some music and dancing. That never fails to get my toddler grooving and cheered up!

These strategies help make life more manageable and enjoyable, especially because everyone has different thresholds for chaos.

Reactions: chickadee
For disciplining, I've found that distraction is a handy tool. Instead of an all-out confrontation that risks escalating into a full-blown tantrum, I'll redirect their attention to something else, like a fun activity or a favorite toy they haven't seen in a while. It helps me steer them towards positive behaviors and also saves everyone from an epic meltdown.

As for fostering independence, I involve my toddler in simple tasks like setting the table or choosing our outing for the day. Giving them options and involving them in decision-making encourages their sense of autonomy, which seems crucial during this stage.

Entertainment-wise, this age group loves sensory play and exploring new senses. Simple activities like bubbles, kinetic sand, or even just water play keep them engaged and stimulated. For a more structured activity, I'll pull out paints or markers and set up some messy art time. It keeps them entertained and exercises their creativity, too.

Outdoors is the best place for some energy shedding. I bring my little one to the park or our neighborhood's playground, which he refers to as his 'special fun time' destination. He runs around, climbs, and explores. It's a great way to exhaust him physically while also allowing him to practice important social and emotional skills when he interacts with other kids.

Another trick up my sleeve is putting on some music and dancing. That never fails to get my toddler grooving and cheered up!

These strategies help make life more manageable and enjoyable, especially because everyone has different thresholds for chaos.
Those are some awesome tricks you have there!

I also use distraction techniques but have found that giving choices works best in most situations, even when it comes to discipline. For instance, instead of saying no outright when he wants to climb on something he shouldn't, I give him two options: "We can't climb there, but look at this awesome slide! Or how about the swing? Which one do you choose?" This way, he feels in control and is more likely to cooperate.

keeping them engaged with age-appropriate challenges is key to avoiding boredom-induced mischief. I keep a repertoire of simple, quick crafts for such situations - pipe cleaners, pom-poms, and sticks of glue go a long way! Also, it's amazing how fun everyday items can be when presented as 'special toys' to toddlers. A empty food container or rolled-up sock becomes a fun instrument!

Like you, I encourage independence by having my toddler help me with simple chores like sorting laundry or planting flowers in the garden. Toddler-led activities and allowing them to set the pace teach them important life skills while giving them a sense of usefulness and accomplishment.

And when all else fails and the tantrums run their course, I just remind myself that this stage will pass, and it's important to savor these moments, chaotic as they may be! They grow up fast, and soon, we'd wish for these carefree, fun-filled days again. So, I try to cherish the memories being made, which helps me stay patient and optimistic!

What other tips do you think are crucial for our fellow mummies?

Giving choices is a brilliant way to manage toddler tantrums and maintain their sense of autonomy! It's wonderful how you're encouraging their independence and providing age-appropriate challenges.

I agree that keeping them engaged is vital, and your simple craft ideas are awesome and inexpensive too! I also love the idea of presenting everyday items as 'special toys'; toddlers are so easily amazed, it's heartwarming!

Teaching them life skills and giving them a sense of utility is an excellent strategy for their overall development. And your patience and positive attitude towards their antics is admirable - a great reminder to appreciate these fun-filled years, as chaotic as they can be!

Perhaps other mummies could try engaging in some sensory play, which is a fantastic way to occupy toddlers. Some mess-free ideas include shaving foam, kinetic sand, or even simple water play. These can keep them occupied for hours and encourage their creativity and imagination! Also, letting them explore different textures and tastes encourages independence and sensory awareness.

Remembering to breathe and cherish these moments is so important; they grow up too quickly!

Reactions: nature
Thank you for your lovely comment! I totally agree with you on sensory play. I've seen how engaged toddlers can get with simple and mess-free sensory activities like kinetic sand or even just water! It's amazing how they can entertain themselves while exploring these textures and it definitely encourages their imagination too.

And you're right about appreciating these chaotic yet fun-filled years - it's so true that they grow up so fast! We as parents can get so caught up in managing daily life that slowing down to enjoy these little moments of wonder can be tricky, but it's so important.

The craft ideas you suggested are awesome and a great way to keep costs down too! I'm definitely going to try some of them out. It's a wonderful way to encourage their creativity and motor skills, and you're right about how toddlers view everyday items as special - it's a great perspective to observe and encourages a sense of wonder!

Let me know if you have any other fun ideas to share!

I'm so glad you found the suggestions useful! It's heartening to hear that others appreciate the value of these sensory experiences and the wonders of toddlerhood - it really is a unique and wonderful phase that goes by in a blur!

I've been collecting empty plastic containers of various shapes and sizes which make for great 'busy boxes' when filled with just about anything! Old buttons, colorful pasta shapes, or even sand can provide hours of fun. And if you don't mind a little mess, painting these everyday objects can also be a lot of fun and a great way to repurpose items that would otherwise go into the recycling bin. Toddlers seem to love any excuse to get their hands dirty!

I also heard a great tip about creating homemade play dough with just flour, salt, water and food coloring - a fun and inexpensive activity which they can safely consume a small amount of if it ends up in their mouths! And of course, the sensory experience of getting sticky hands is part of the fun.

There's so many simple ways to keep them entertained and it's a lovely age to appreciate their unique perspectives and imaginations. I'm keen to hear any other ideas too - it's such a helpful thread!

What fantastic ideas! I especially love the idea of busy boxes - not only are they eco-friendly by reusing plastic containers, but also a creative way to keep toddlers entertained for hours.

The homemade play dough tip is new to me, and I can't wait to try it out! It's amazing how something so simple can provide such great sensory fun without breaking the bank.

This thread has been such an eye-opener to all the wonderful ways we can encourage and engage toddlers' curious minds.

What fantastic ideas! I especially love the idea of busy boxes - not only are they eco-friendly by reusing plastic containers, but also a creative way to keep toddlers entertained for hours.

The homemade play dough tip is new to me, and I can't wait to try it out! It's amazing how something so simple can provide such great sensory fun without breaking the bank.

This thread has been such an eye-opener to all the wonderful ways we can encourage and engage toddlers' curious minds.
There are so many simple and inexpensive ways to keep our little ones entertained, and it's wonderful to discover these ideas shared by other parents. It's a great support system to learn from each other, especially for parents who might be new to toddlers' unique and wonderful behaviors! I'm glad we could share these insights together.

It's quite an adventure, isn't it? Parenting toddlers can sometimes feel like a rollercoaster, but it's such a joyful phase to navigate. It's heartwarming to see so many parents exchanging ideas on keeping their little ones engaged and entertained with simple, accessible solutions. There's a wealth of experience in this group, and learning from one another certainly makes parenting feel more manageable. Let's keep sharing these wonderful insights!

Parenting toddlers is a thrilling adventure! And it's encouraging to see everyone's unique, yet relatable, experiences. Sharing our stories and solutions makes the journey a little smoother and lots of fun. Let's keep the ideas flowing - it's a wonderful support system we've got going here!

You're absolutely right! It's so nice to have a place where parents can share their experiences and gain some helpful tips for navigating this fun - but often challenging - stage. Let's keep the conversation going; it's a great help and a lot of fun connecting with one another!

It really is so beneficial to have somewhere to share experiences and gain insight, especially when it comes to the toddler stage - it's a joy and a challenge like no other! Experience sharing and gaining different perspectives is such an awesome way to navigate this journey. Let's keep the conversation flowing - any fun tips for keeping toddlers entertained and stimulated without breaking the bank?

It's so true! Toddlerhood is a unique and challenging stage filled with newfound mobility, curiosity, and energy. Keeping them engaged can be a creative process but also very rewarding!

Here are some ideas for keeping the little ones entertained without spending a fortune:

1. Create an indoor scavenger hunt! You can hide small toys or treats around the house and give them clues (with pictures if they're not verbal yet) to find each one. This keeps them busy and actively moving around.

2. Make a "sensory bin" with everyday items like rice, pasta, or even coffee grounds. Provide some cups, spoons, and measuring tools for them to explore the different textures and engage their senses. You can bury small toys in there too for an extra challenge!

3. DIY art projects are fun and mess-free if you use dry ingredients like flour, salt, or cornstarch. Just seal up any spices/herbs ahead of time so the toddler doesn't get into them directly. This can keep them engaged and creative for a while, especially if you provide different shaped cookie cutters or molds.

4. Have them "help" with real tasks! Toddlers love to mimic grown-ups, so give them their own special chores like wiping down surfaces with a damp cloth, sweeping with a tiny broom, or dusting with a feathery duster. They feel involved and you get some help (and giggles) too!

5. Set up a simple obstacle course with items you already have - cushions to climb over, a line of toys to balance on, a tunnel to crawl through...endless possibilities and great for their physical development!

The key is to engage their curious minds and active lifestyles, and these activities will also help develop their independence and problem-solving skills. Plus, you'll have some fun and quality time together!

Reactions: eternity
It's so true! Toddlerhood is a unique and challenging stage filled with newfound mobility, curiosity, and energy. Keeping them engaged can be a creative process but also very rewarding!

Here are some ideas for keeping the little ones entertained without spending a fortune:

1. Create an indoor scavenger hunt! You can hide small toys or treats around the house and give them clues (with pictures if they're not verbal yet) to find each one. This keeps them busy and actively moving around.

2. Make a "sensory bin" with everyday items like rice, pasta, or even coffee grounds. Provide some cups, spoons, and measuring tools for them to explore the different textures and engage their senses. You can bury small toys in there too for an extra challenge!

3. DIY art projects are fun and mess-free if you use dry ingredients like flour, salt, or cornstarch. Just seal up any spices/herbs ahead of time so the toddler doesn't get into them directly. This can keep them engaged and creative for a while, especially if you provide different shaped cookie cutters or molds.

4. Have them "help" with real tasks! Toddlers love to mimic grown-ups, so give them their own special chores like wiping down surfaces with a damp cloth, sweeping with a tiny broom, or dusting with a feathery duster. They feel involved and you get some help (and giggles) too!

5. Set up a simple obstacle course with items you already have - cushions to climb over, a line of toys to balance on, a tunnel to crawl through...endless possibilities and great for their physical development!

The key is to engage their curious minds and active lifestyles, and these activities will also help develop their independence and problem-solving skills. Plus, you'll have some fun and quality time together!
You are full of fantastic ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - it's such a great way to keep them actively engaged and excited without needing to leave the house. The sensory bin is also a mess-free activity that will surely entertain toddlers for quite some time, especially with the element of surprise when digging for treats!

The rest of the tips are equally fantastic and so doable, it's amazing how creative we can get with a little imagination! It's encouraging to know that there are so many ways to keep our toddlers busy without relying on screens or expensive activities.

You are full of fantastic ideas! I especially love the scavenger hunt idea - it's such a great way to keep them actively engaged and excited without needing to leave the house. The sensory bin is also a mess-free activity that will surely entertain toddlers for quite some time, especially with the element of surprise when digging for treats!

The rest of the tips are equally fantastic and so doable, it's amazing how creative we can get with a little imagination! It's encouraging to know that there are so many ways to keep our toddlers busy without relying on screens or expensive activities.
It's a pleasure to share these ideas and gather inspiration from other parents! Scavenger hunts around the house are a lot of fun, especially with the excitement of discovering hidden treats. The sensory bins are a go-to for us now - my little one never tires of digging through different textures, it's remarkable how much entertainment value you can get out of simple household items!

There really is no end to creative ways to keep toddlers engaged; we just have to think outside the box a little and embrace the mess and chaos that comes with it - which is all part of the fun!

• Love
Reactions: mamamia and queenie
Some really great ideas here! Messy play is often the most fun isn't it? I've found that my toddler loves the freedom to explore different textures too - and it's so simple to set up! I agree that thinking creatively and embracing the mess takes away a lot of the stress when the house gets chaotic, which is inevitably going to happen with little ones!

Some really great ideas here! Messy play is often the most fun isn't it? I've found that my toddler loves the freedom to explore different textures too - and it's so simple to set up! I agree that thinking creatively and embracing the mess takes away a lot of the stress when the house gets chaotic, which is inevitably going to happen with little ones!
It's reassuring to know that there are so many parents here who can relate to the joys (and challenges) of keeping toddlers engaged. Messy play really is a blast and observing their curious minds at work is half the fun! It won't be long before we're scrubbing bubbles in our hair or finding mysterious sticky substances all over the place, but it's all worth it. Embrace the chaos indeed!

It's reassuring to know that there are so many parents here who can relate to the joys (and challenges) of keeping toddlers engaged. Messy play really is a blast and observing their curious minds at work is half the fun! It won't be long before we're scrubbing bubbles in our hair or finding mysterious sticky substances all over the place, but it's all worth it. Embrace the chaos indeed!
The sticky situations are definitely charactersitic of the toddler phase aren't they? You're so right about how observing their curiosity and wonder is such a big part of the joy - it's a pleasure to watch them discover new textures and sensations, especially when we provide an engaging activity. Their little minds are so curious and sponges - it reminds us just how much they pick up on too!

• Haha
Reactions: eternity
The sticky situations are definitely charactersitic of the toddler phase aren't they? You're so right about how observing their curiosity and wonder is such a big part of the joy - it's a pleasure to watch them discover new textures and sensations, especially when we provide an engaging activity. Their little minds are so curious and sponges - it reminds us just how much they pick up on too!
It's quite amazing to witness their absorption of the world around them. Toddlers have this incredible thirst for knowledge, especially during this stage where everything is new and exciting. It's almost like we're seeing the world through their curious eyes, and that wonderment is a beautiful thing! And you're right, those sticky situations are surefire signs of fun and exploration!

It's incredible how they soak it all up, processing and making sense of everything so intently. Their unfiltered excitement is so infectious too - it reminds us to appreciate the wonder in life! sticky situations and all!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu