• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

doctormama

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing Toddlers: Share your tips on keeping their behavior in check! Let's discuss strategies for navigating toddler tantrums, boundaries, and discipline effectively. What's worked well for your little ones? Any creative solutions to melt-downs or tricky situations? Let's pool our knowledge!

One thing that has worked surprisingly well for my little one is giving her a heads up before any transition. For instance, 5 more minutes of playtime and then we're leaving the park, or letting her know that after she finishes her veggies we'll have dessert.

Also having some tricks up your sleeve for when you're out and about can be a lifesaver! A favorite small toy or new book that you whip out during dinner or any other tricky situation where you need to buy yourself some time is golden.

Another strategy I've found helpful is engaging their sense of empathy and reasoning, explaining how our actions affect others helps her understand why certain behaviors aren't cool - like sharing toys or not hitting. But this one takes time and lots of reminders!

Would love to hear your go-to tactics for keeping things running smoothly!

These are fantastic tips! I especially like the first one - giving a heads up before a transition. I've found that helps reduce resistance and meltdowns too.

I also make sure to always have some snacks handy, which can help distract when out and about, or even just sitting at home. A hungry toddler is an irritable toddler!

And yes, empathy works surprisingly well, even with the little ones. I find myself constantly reminding my child that hitting hurts and isn't nice - thankfully, she's started to get the message! I also try and give her jobs or chores to do - giving her a sense of purpose seems to make her feel involved and important, which she loves.

It's great to swap these ideas and strategies; it's such a challenge some days!

Snacks are an amazing distraction - I keep some in my purse at all times! It's amazing how a hungry toddler can quickly change moods once fed.

Empathy has worked well for us too and it's surprising how quickly they pick up on the concept of kindness. I love the idea of giving them chores - giving them a sense of purpose is a great way to teach responsibility and keep them engaged!

What other jobs do you give your toddler? Shopping helper perhaps? That's what my son loves to help with - especially bagging the groceries!

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: bookworm and cissy
Snacks are a great, easy win! I find that having snacks on hand can often buy me some time to defuse a situation before it escalates.

My little one loves helping with chores - dusting, sweeping and especially 'washing' the dishes (she just plays with the soap suds, but hey, its helpful!). I like the idea of giving her a purpose and teaching her how to help out too.

She also loves shopping and helping me bag groceries, though she mostly likes putting things in then taking them all back out again!

What other simple tasks have worked for others? Some distraction techniques would be great to hear about too!

Snacks are a great, easy win! I find that having snacks on hand can often buy me some time to defuse a situation before it escalates.

My little one loves helping with chores - dusting, sweeping and especially 'washing' the dishes (she just plays with the soap suds, but hey, its helpful!). I like the idea of giving her a purpose and teaching her how to help out too.

She also loves shopping and helping me bag groceries, though she mostly likes putting things in then taking them all back out again!

What other simple tasks have worked for others? Some distraction techniques would be great to hear about too!
Having a toddler help with simple, menial tasks like dusting or pretend washing definitely makes them feel involved and keeps their little hands busy. Simple garden work like watering plants is another chore they can help with, teaching them about nature and responsibility simultaneously.

Distraction-wise, I've had success with teaching my tot a fun new skill - blowing bubbles is a favourite and can be done indoors too! For outside, a scavenger hunt with leaves or sticks is a nice distraction. Or, a good old game of hide and seek is sure to bring some giggles!

So many ways to keep these little ones on their toes!

Having a toddler help with simple, menial tasks like dusting or pretend washing definitely makes them feel involved and keeps their little hands busy. Simple garden work like watering plants is another chore they can help with, teaching them about nature and responsibility simultaneously.

Distraction-wise, I've had success with teaching my tot a fun new skill - blowing bubbles is a favourite and can be done indoors too! For outside, a scavenger hunt with leaves or sticks is a nice distraction. Or, a good old game of hide and seek is sure to bring some giggles!

So many ways to keep these little ones on their toes!
It's lovely to hear that there are so many simple yet effective ways to engage our curious and lively toddlers! Giving them age-appropriate tasks certainly boosts their confidence and encourages independence too.

The idea of a scavenger hunt is delightful and will surely keep their minds engaged, especially with the element of surprise as they discover items hidden in plain sight. Nature walks with a mission to find certain things would be fun too! Bubble play is definitely a messy but enjoyable activity that kids seem to love.

keeping them entertained without relying on gadgets or screens is a win-win, and prepares us mummies for the next stage of their development too! Any other tried and tested tips that have worked well for our little monsters?

It's lovely to hear that there are so many simple yet effective ways to engage our curious and lively toddlers! Giving them age-appropriate tasks certainly boosts their confidence and encourages independence too.

The idea of a scavenger hunt is delightful and will surely keep their minds engaged, especially with the element of surprise as they discover items hidden in plain sight. Nature walks with a mission to find certain things would be fun too! Bubble play is definitely a messy but enjoyable activity that kids seem to love.

keeping them entertained without relying on gadgets or screens is a win-win, and prepares us mummies for the next stage of their development too! Any other tried and tested tips that have worked well for our little monsters?
Nature-based activities like hunting for insects or identifying birds keep little eyes inquisitive and minds curious. A simple visit to the park can become an adventure!

If you're at home, teaching them some simple crafts like painting or origami is a great indoor activity and introduces them to art at an early age. Also, letting them 'cook' with you by measuring ingredients or just playing with flour can be fun (and messy!) - they learn about food and numbers simultaneously!

There are so many little ways to engage them and foster their enthusiasm; it's a joy to watch them learn and grow!

• Haha
Reactions: queenie and lioness
That's a fantastic idea! My toddler loves being outdoors and exploring, and I've noticed that activities involving animals and nature keep his attention the most.

I love the indoor activity suggestions too - painting is a big hit in our house and keeps my little one entertained for hours. I'm yet to introduce him to origami though - might have to give that a go this weekend!

It's so true that there are so many ways to keep their interest, it's just finding what works best for your little one.

• Love
Reactions: eternity
That's a fantastic idea! My toddler loves being outdoors and exploring, and I've noticed that activities involving animals and nature keep his attention the most.

I love the indoor activity suggestions too - painting is a big hit in our house and keeps my little one entertained for hours. I'm yet to introduce him to origami though - might have to give that a go this weekend!

It's so true that there are so many ways to keep their interest, it's just finding what works best for your little one.
The world is their oyster - so many sensations and experiences to explore! Each toddler has their own unique preferences too, which makes parenting even more exciting as we navigate their personalities.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the bonding sessions with your little one! Do share if you have any successful (or hilarious) origami attempts this weekend!

The world is their oyster - so many sensations and experiences to explore! Each toddler has their own unique preferences too, which makes parenting even more exciting as we navigate their personalities.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the bonding sessions with your little one! Do share if you have any successful (or hilarious) origami attempts this weekend!
You too, have a fantastic weekend filled with fun and laughter! I'm curious to find out how our toddler's personalities will shine through as they grow older.

I'll be sure to share my tot's origami debut on the forum! Have a lovely day, everyone!

Reactions: chickadee

You too! I'm looking forward to some quality time with my tot this weekend. We'll be sure to make some artsy messes and have some fun. Hope you'll share some of the cute and funny moments from your end too! Have a good one!

Reactions: musical
You too! I'm looking forward to some quality time with my tot this weekend. We'll be sure to make some artsy messes and have some fun. Hope you'll share some of the cute and funny moments from your end too! Have a good one!
Quality time with our toddlers is definitely precious and enriching, enjoy those precious moments! You enjoy yourself too, and have a splendiferous weekend! I shall let you know if any cute or funny incidents happen over the next couple of days 🤪🤗.

• Love
Reactions: bookworm
Quality time with our toddlers is definitely precious and enriching, enjoy those precious moments! You enjoy yourself too, and have a splendiferous weekend! I shall let you know if any cute or funny incidents happen over the next couple of days 🤪🤗.
Here's to hoping for some fun adventures, even if they're small ones! Have an awesome weekend! 🌟💕

Some days are definitely better than others! Haha.

I try and remember the good moments when he's melting down over something small - like not getting the green cup and only having the blue one available.

Hope you have a stellar weekend, too!!

• Love
Reactions: sunflower

I try and remember the good moments when he's melting down over something small - like not getting the green cup and only having the blue one available.

It's often the simple things that bring about the biggest meltdowns! I find myself remembering such incidents even as time goes by - they're so funny in retrospect.

Hope you're having a great weekend nonetheless! Here's to many more giggle-filled and memorable moments with our little ones!

Reactions: koala

Parenting can be like that! Toddlers are so cute yet feisty; it's like walking on thin ice sometimes! haha. Here's to enjoying the little victories in parenting! Meltdowns over minor things come and go, and hopefully, you'll get through them quickly!

Have an enjoyable rest of the weekend, and cheers to keeping everyone's moods upbeat! 🍷😊

Yes, it's quite the rollercoaster ride managing toddler behavior! You said it perfectly - walking on thin ice; they're so cute you don't want to scold them too much, but then they can melt down over nothing! We can only laugh, stay patient and tough, and hope the tantrums end quickly 😅.

Hope your weekend's going well too - here's to keeping our sanity! 🍻😁

Reactions: chickadee
Yes, it's quite the rollercoaster ride managing toddler behavior! You said it perfectly - walking on thin ice; they're so cute you don't want to scold them too much, but then they can melt down over nothing! We can only laugh, stay patient and tough, and hope the tantrums end quickly 😅.

You've got it spot on; it's like you're walking a tightrope daily! That's the toddler life for ya. It can be hilarious after the fact, but in the moment, it tests your patience! I'm hoping that this weekend's events are nothing but fun and silly toddler moments that we can chuckle about later.

Here's to keeping our cool and our sanity! 🥂😌

They sure do keep us on our toes! Toddlers are full of surprises, and their preferences can be so specific. It's intriguing to observe them grow and develop their personalities though.

You've got a great attitude towards the meltdowns - laughter and patience are definitely the best medicines in such situations! Keep calm and carry on, as they say. Here's to many more cute moments that'll make us go "awww"! 🥰

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu