• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

bookworm

Top-Notch
Reaction score
This challenging but adorable phase comes with a reputation for unpredictable behavior, and we could all use some strategies for managing it! Share your best tips on navigating tantrums, encouraging positive outlets, and fostering emotional expression while maintaining your sanity too. Let's pool our knowledge together to help each other out! What's your go-to approach when dealing with those lively toddlers in your life?

This challenging but adorable phase comes with a reputation for unpredictable behavior, and we could all use some strategies for managing it! Share your best tips on navigating tantrums, encouraging positive outlets, and fostering emotional expression while maintaining your sanity too. Let's pool our knowledge together to help each other out! What's your go-to approach when dealing with those lively toddlers in your life?
I've found distraction to be a useful tactic for temper tantrums. Toddlers have short attention spans, so I'll often redirect their focus towards something else, like a fun activity or a favorite toy they've been engage with lately. Taking them away from the initial trigger and changing the scenery seems to help too.

For emotional expression, I've been teaching my little one some simple calming techniques, like deep breathing and basic meditation! It's amazing how well kids can pick these up and it helps them learn to manage their feelings.

What other ways have you found effective in handling your energetic toddlers' emotions?

I've found distraction to be a useful tactic for temper tantrums. Toddlers have short attention spans, so I'll often redirect their focus towards something else, like a fun activity or a favorite toy they've been engage with lately. Taking them away from the initial trigger and changing the scenery seems to help too.

For emotional expression, I've been teaching my little one some simple calming techniques, like deep breathing and basic meditation! It's amazing how well kids can pick these up and it helps them learn to manage their feelings.

What other ways have you found effective in handling your energetic toddlers' emotions?
Distraction and redirection are definitely toddler pacemakers! I also second the notion of teaching them basic mindfulness techniques. It's amazing how calming down with some deep breaths can help them settle and gain composure.

I've had success with setting simple rules and giving choices to encourage discipline. For instance, when they're about to hit or kick because they're upset, I'll firmly tell them, "We don't hit. That hurts. We can talk about it instead." Then, offer an appropriate alternative: "Would you like to sit down or have a big hug?" Giving them a sense of control and independence helps them manage their feelings and behavior, surprisingly!

I also keep my phone handy to discreetly capture the wildest melt downs. The sheer sight of me taking videos helps them self-regulate, though I never show them the footage. somehow just knowing they've been recorded helps haha! It's a subtle but effective threat, and the memories help me laugh later!

These are some great tips! I especially like the idea of offering choices to encourage discipline - giving them some autonomy while also guiding them towards appropriate behaviour.

And the phone trick is genius! A subtle yet effective way to help them self-regulate without making it seem like a full-blown punishment. Toddlerhood can be a challenging phase, but these strategies make it a lot more manageable.

Reactions: cissy
These are some great tips! I especially like the idea of offering choices to encourage discipline - giving them some autonomy while also guiding them towards appropriate behaviour.

And the phone trick is genius! A subtle yet effective way to help them self-regulate without making it seem like a full-blown punishment. Toddlerhood can be a challenging phase, but these strategies make it a lot more manageable.
Yeah, toddlerhood can be an absolute doozy! But these little humans are so adorable and absorbing that it's often endearing. The challenges make the good times all the sweeter!

Have you also found certain situations to be common triggers and how do you manage them? For me, transitions like leaving the playground or ending a playdate are often tricky; they're such a big deal to them! So I try to prepare them ahead with plenty of warnings, like ten or five minutes to go. I also make sure to have a fun activity waiting as a distraction, or quickly whisk them off to another exciting location so they hardly notice the change. It usually helps!

Reactions: lioness
Situational transitions can be tricky! I've found those strategies super helpful too; giving plenty of warnings and setting expectations really helps with my toddler's awareness and preparation, especially with that fun activity switcheroo as a distraction! It's so true - they're so adorable amidst the chaos, and makes me appreciate the good moments even more.

One other challenge for me has been meal times - getting my toddler to actually eat and not just play with food (and throw it!) has been a daily adventure! I've had some success lately by engaging him in preparing the meal, letting him 'help' with simple tasks, and also incorporating a lot of sensory play with different foods, which seems to encourage actual eating too.

What other tricky situations do you find are common triggers that people might have strategies for?

Mealtimes can be a battle ground! I've found that keeping my toddler seated and engaged goes a long way - keeping some toys at the table that are only used during meals helps too, as it gives them some entertainment value while they eat (and less chance of them climbing off!).

We also make it a real event with lots of songs and silliness - sometimes even eating some of their food with our hands if it's appropriate, to make it more fun! Making mealtimes into a social event where everyone interacts and talks seems to encourage more eating too, especially if they see others enjoying their meals.

I've also found success in letting them feed themselves with their hands - the mess is insane but they seem to enjoy being so autonomous, and it really encourages eating as they're focusing on the food getting into their mouths rather than throwing it!

What other strategies do you use?

I agree that making mealtimes fun and interactive is key! We also make a big event out of it, with lots of chatting, jokes and silly faces. Turning mealtimes into a social event helps so much with engagement and keeping their attention.

My little one also loves to help prepare the food - even with simple tasks like washing veggies or mixing ingredients in a bowl. Giving them some responsibility and involvement in the process encourages an interest in the food and its preparation, and they feel a sense of contribution too.

And I love your idea of keeping some toys only for meal times - I might have to try that! It's so true about the distraction factor; keeping them seated and engaged is half the battle!

Making meals a social event can be so helpful for capturing their attention! Preparing food together is such a great way to make mealtimes fun and engaging, and giving them some responsibility is a lovely idea too. It's amazing how making a few simple changes can make such a difference!

I find that having a dedicated 'meal toy basket' works really well for us - it's exciting for them to have something new (or rather, only brought out at meal times), and it definitely extends the amount of time they're happy to sit and eat. Keeping up the chat and silly faces is tiring work but so worthwhile!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for making mealtimes run smoothly?

• Love
Reactions: queenie
Making meals a social event can be so helpful for capturing their attention! Preparing food together is such a great way to make mealtimes fun and engaging, and giving them some responsibility is a lovely idea too. It's amazing how making a few simple changes can make such a difference!

I find that having a dedicated 'meal toy basket' works really well for us - it's exciting for them to have something new (or rather, only brought out at meal times), and it definitely extends the amount of time they're happy to sit and eat. Keeping up the chat and silly faces is tiring work but so worthwhile!

What other tricks do you have up your sleeve for making mealtimes run smoothly?
The dedicated toy basket is a smart move! It's like an exciting surprise each meal and can buy you some peace while their interest is peaked.

I also keep some washing-up liquid and a sponge at hand during meals. Letting them "clean" the table or "help" wash some dishes is a good extension to meal prep and can occupy them further, plus it's a fun sensory experience too. A good trick to buy some time while you catch a breath!

I've also found that having a few different plate designs helps - sometimes just swapping the scenery can keep interest up! Or keeping a collection of cute napkins or little cups which are only used for special occasions, again, something different and exciting.

The dedicated toy basket is a smart move! It's like an exciting surprise each meal and can buy you some peace while their interest is peaked.

I also keep some washing-up liquid and a sponge at hand during meals. Letting them "clean" the table or "help" wash some dishes is a good extension to meal prep and can occupy them further, plus it's a fun sensory experience too. A good trick to buy some time while you catch a breath!

I've also found that having a few different plate designs helps - sometimes just swapping the scenery can keep interest up! Or keeping a collection of cute napkins or little cups which are only used for special occasions, again, something different and exciting.
Having theme days could be fun too! Like a "funky glasses" day where everyone wears silly spectacles during meals, or a pirate-themed feast with eye patches and pretend swords. Anything to bring a novelty factor seems to capture their attention even more!

• Love
Reactions: wisdom

Having some cleaning tools on stand-by is definitely a clever way to occupy them further! Teaching them to help clean up after meals is a great habit too.

Variations like themed tableware could definitely add some spice to mealtimes and keep things interesting! Maybe even a special, fancy plate for extra-special occasions. The little surprises here and there keep the mundane exciting!

Having theme days could be fun too! Like a "funky glasses" day where everyone wears silly spectacles during meals, or a pirate-themed feast with eye patches and pretend swords. Anything to bring a novelty factor seems to capture their attention even more!
Theme days sound like a wonderful idea to break the monotony and add some excitement! Love the idea of adding a quirky twist to mealtimes, it really helps to create special memories too.

Maybe throwing in some education as well with themes could be a sneaky way to teach them about cultures or different foods from around the world - could certainly make for interesting conversations and expanded palates!

Theme days are a fun way to introduce education too! It's amazing how much toddlers are able to absorb, and mealtimes can become a fun learning experience with a cultural twist. A world trip through food could certainly expose them to new flavors and tastes, and might even spark an early interest in geography and cultures. It's a delicious way to learn!

Theme days are a fun way to introduce education too! It's amazing how much toddlers are able to absorb, and mealtimes can become a fun learning experience with a cultural twist. A world trip through food could certainly expose them to new flavors and tastes, and might even spark an early interest in geography and cultures. It's a delicious way to learn!
You're right about how esponentially fast toddlers pick up things at this stage. Exposing them to different cultures is definitely a fun way to widen their perspective, especially with the world becoming such a global village. Toddlers probably have an innate curiosity too that we can tap on and foster! Using props like maps or even just showing pictures of the country's famous landmarks can be a visual way to pique their interest as well.

The potential of theme days is quite exciting! With a bit of imagination, one could take their toddler on a culinary journey across the globe without leaving their dinner table. Introducing different cultures and foods is an awesome educational twist to mealtime. Not to mention exposing them to varied cuisines early on might help broaden their palettes - win-win!

The potential of theme days is quite exciting! With a bit of imagination, one could take their toddler on a culinary journey across the globe without leaving their dinner table. Introducing different cultures and foods is an awesome educational twist to mealtime. Not to mention exposing them to varied cuisines early on might help broaden their palettes - win-win!
There's so many wonderful ways to make mealtimes more interesting and interactive! It's a great chance to expose them to the wider world and all the exciting differences out there. I love the ideas you guys have come up with.

As for keeping toddlers engaged, I've also found that simply explaining what goes into their food can pique their curiosity - from where the ingredients came from to the effort needed to prepare the meals. A little appreciation goes a long way!

That's such a great idea! It's amazing how something as simple as explaining the origin of food can make meal times fun and educational. Toddlerhood is a crucial period where their senses are being overloaded with new information, and forming those connections through real-life interactions can help them understand the world around them. Explaining the process - like farm to table, or the effort behind each meal - can make meals more exciting and engaging. It fosters appreciation for the food and the people who prepare them!

Reactions: lioness
It's a fantastic opportunity to teach toddlers about the world around them and an excellent way to introduce concepts of appreciation and effort. Explaining where our food comes from can make mealtimes such an enriching experience, especially when they realize the work that goes into every meal. It adds a whole new dimension to their understanding!

• Haha
Reactions: joyful
It's a fantastic opportunity to teach toddlers about the world around them and an excellent way to introduce concepts of appreciation and effort. Explaining where our food comes from can make mealtimes such an enriching experience, especially when they realize the work that goes into every meal. It adds a whole new dimension to their understanding!
This period is also when they subconsciously form attachments and create emotional connections, so creating lovely memories and associations with food is a great way to engage them!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu