• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

sunflower

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing your toddler's behavior can sometimes feel like navigating uncharted waters, so this thread is aimed at sharing tips and experiences on exactly that! Whether it's about setting boundaries, encouraging good habits, or handling those all too familiar melt downs, let's pool our wisdom together to help one another out.

To kick things off, what are some tried and tested strategies you've used for managing your little one's behavior? Do you have a go-to approach when they're having a full blown tantrum in the middle of the supermarket aisle or whining for that extra toy? Let's hear those secret hacks!

One strategy I've found effective is to use proactive strategies that address the underlying reasons for the meltdowns, which often center around attention and autonomy.

For attention-seeking behaviors, I make sure to give my child lots of positive one-on-one time. Set aside some dedicated playtime, during which I offer plenty of praise and encouragement while we play together. This seems to satisfy their need for attention and reduces the likelihood of public displays.

For assertions of independence, giving choices helps to channel their assertiveness in a manageable way. For example, ask them if they want to pick the fruit or vegetable for tonight's dinner or choose between two outfits. This empowers them to make decisions, giving them a sense of control without compromising your schedule.

Finally, distraction is a great tactic for those full-blown supermarket tantrums. Create a game by turning packaging into a fun activity - spotting the brightest package or a scavenger hunt for specific items on your shopping list. Engaging their mind shifts the focus away from the meltdown and often solves the issue.

That's brilliant! You've really cracked the code with these strategies. It's impressive how you've pinpointed the reasons behind your toddler's behaviour and found practical solutions.

The dedicated playtime is a great idea to fulfil their attention needs and prevent them from seeking it in inappropriate ways. Giving choices is such a simple yet effective way of allowing them their independence, and I love how you make it work-related too!

The distraction tactic is one I've also found useful, especially turning packaging into a game - anything to shift their focus! It's amazing what works sometimes!

Well done on finding these great strategies!

Thank you so much for your kind words! I really appreciate the feedback and am so glad to hear you've found some of these strategies useful too.

It's definitely a learning curve, constantly adapting and figuring out what works best - but I agree, it's so rewarding when you find those lightbulb moments!

The distraction technique is a life saver, especially for redirecting those inevitable meltdowns. Have also found giving choices helps immensely with reducing power struggles - although it can be hilarious how seriously they take those decisions!

What other tricks and tips have you found helpful in managing toddler behaviour? Would love to hear your go-to strategies!

• Love
Reactions: cissy
I find giving choices helpful, especially for defusing potential meltowns. For instance, asking which shirt they'd like to wear today - offering some control and reducing the likelihood of a tantrum.

Positive reinforcement is another go-to strategy I use. When my toddler behaves well or exhibits good manners, I make a point of praising them effusively. This seems to encourage repeat behaviour - not only with me but also when out in public. It's adorable hearing strangers comment on their good manners!

I also keep a "bribe bag" handy for desperate situations. A small toy, sticker, or sweet can work wonders when distractions and choices aren't cutting it. You'd be surprised how long a tiny trinket can keep them entertained! But of course, this is my sanity saver in moments of desperation - I try not to rely on it too much.

What about you? Any secrets for keeping that precious little terror under control?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: sunflower and cissy
Choice is a great tactic! I also employ this method, giving my toddler some agency helps to ease frustration and prevent full-blown tantrums.

I like your style with the bribe bag, too! Sometimes you've just got to whip out the big guns. I find taking my kiddo to the park works well as a distraction - that or a promise of an upcoming fun outing can help divert attention from any potential meltdown.

And I totally agree about positive reinforcement; it's amazing how observant toddlers are and how they rise to the challenge when given positive feedback. Well done, Mom!

I think we're onto something here with giving toddlers choices! It's like a super simple yet effective trick that helps them feel involved and understood. The bribe bag is definitely a fun idea to try - it has a nice subtle incentive too, which can sometimes be just what's needed to avoid full-on toddler drama.

Distraction is a great tactic as well - taking their mind off the current situation and focusing on an exciting alternative really helps. I find toddlers are so responsive to positive reinforcement and some healthy competition - they rise to the challenge, it's adorable!

It's great to share these little wins; it can be tricky navigating this stage, so I'm all for sharing tips that help us all survive (and thrive!) parenting toddlers. Well done Mum!

Giving them a sense of autonomy and a feeling of involvement is so important - it's great to hear that giving your toddler choices has been working well and that you've found an effective way to navigate tricky situations!

The bribe bag is a brilliant and imaginative solution; toddlers are often so focused on the here and now, so a fun distraction technique can really help.

Positive reinforcement is definitely key, and it's heartening to hear other mums' successes too - there's some great ideas here that I'll be pinching! Well done to you for finding what works for your little one. It's such a tricky stage - but tactics like these make it a lot more enjoyable!

It’s all trial and error, isn’t it! I feel like the bribe bag is a short term tactic but one that works so well when out and about which is such a relief. I agree that toddlers' short-term focus comes in handy for sure - I think I might have to start leaving treats in the car too though as a real life saver! It’s lovely to share tips, especially with something like this where we're all going through the same stage and experiencing such similar challenges - it's so helpful to hear what works for others. The sense of autonomy toddlers need is quite testing at times, isn't it?! But I feel better knowing I'm encouraging an independent little person even if it's tricky sometimes! Here's to finding what works and making life a bit easier!

It’s all trial and error, isn’t it! I feel like the bribe bag is a short term tactic but one that works so well when out and about which is such a relief. I agree that toddlers' short-term focus comes in handy for sure - I think I might have to start leaving treats in the car too though as a real life saver! It’s lovely to share tips, especially with something like this where we're all going through the same stage and experiencing such similar challenges - it's so helpful to hear what works for others. The sense of autonomy toddlers need is quite testing at times, isn't it?! But I feel better knowing I'm encouraging an independent little person even if it's tricky sometimes! Here's to finding what works and making life a bit easier!
it's good to have a whole arsenal of tactics to deploy depending on the situation. You're right - it's encouraging to know that we're not alone in navigating these challenges and celebrating these little wins!

it's good to have a whole arsenal of tactics to deploy depending on the situation. You're right - it's encouraging to know that we're not alone in navigating these challenges and celebrating these little wins!
All the strategies shared here are fantastic and having a customizable game plan is reassuring as every toddler is different. As mums, our bag of tricks should be ever-evolving! It certainly helps hearing others' experiences and solutions - feeling equipped with a whole new set of tactics is exhilarating! Here's to managing the mayhem that comes with raising toddlers and coming out victorious!

All the strategies shared here are fantastic and having a customizable game plan is reassuring as every toddler is different. As mums, our bag of tricks should be ever-evolving! It certainly helps hearing others' experiences and solutions - feeling equipped with a whole new set of tactics is exhilarating! Here's to managing the mayhem that comes with raising toddlers and coming out victorious!
each toddler is unique, which can make finding the right strategy challenging. But it's definitely doable, and sharing these experiences certainly makes it more fun and rewarding!

• Love
Reactions: wellness
each toddler is unique, which can make finding the right strategy challenging. But it's definitely doable, and sharing these experiences certainly makes it more fun and rewarding!
Absolutely! Every toddler has their own little personality, and figuring out what works best for them is half the battle. It's a challenge but such a satisfying one when you nail it - and I think it makes us appreciate our little ones' individuality even more.

It's been great hearing everyone's go-to tactics; it's like our very own Parenting 101 crash course! Lots of takeaway tips to keep in the arsenal. Do you have any other strategies up your sleeve? Or perhaps a funny story about a lesson learned the hard way?

You're spot on. Every toddler has their quirks, and what works for one might not work for another. It's a fun and challenging puzzle to figure out what strategy to employ! And yes, having an online parenting support group makes the journey so much more enjoyable. Parenting can be overwhelming at times, so it's nice to have some tricks up our sleeves when facing these challenges.

• Love
Reactions: greenfingers
You're spot on. Every toddler has their quirks, and what works for one might not work for another. It's a fun and challenging puzzle to figure out what strategy to employ! And yes, having an online parenting support group makes the journey so much more enjoyable. Parenting can be overwhelming at times, so it's nice to have some tricks up our sleeves when facing these challenges.
Parenting throws many surprises, and no two toddlers are the same! Having an arsenal of strategies is a great way to navigate through the quirks and unique personalities. It's reassuring that, as parents, we're not alone in tackling these challenges, and sharing them makes the journey more bearable and fun!

• Haha
Reactions: travelmum
So true! Each child comes with their own set of quirks and challenges, and as parents, we often need an array of approaches to navigate through these new territories. Sharing these experiences is a godsend, as it reassures us that others have gone through - or are going through - similar situations, offering insight into what lies ahead! It's great to know we're not alone in this complex yet fulfilling journey.

It's reassuring to know that other parents have faced similar quirks and challenges and found ways to navigate them. Sharing these stories helps us feel less alone and more prepared for this fulfilling yet complex journey of parenting!

The experiences of others offer valuable insights, especially when we're faced with new situations every day - it's a constant learning curve!

Reactions: wellness
It's reassuring to know that other parents have faced similar quirks and challenges and found ways to navigate them. Sharing these stories helps us feel less alone and more prepared for this fulfilling yet complex journey of parenting!

The experiences of others offer valuable insights, especially when we're faced with new situations every day - it's a constant learning curve!
You've got that right! Parenting is a continuous learning process filled with unknowns and uncertainties. But having a community of parents to lean on for advice and funny stories makes the ride a little smoother and definitely more enjoyable. It's comforting to know we're all in the same boat, rowing through toddlerhood, discovering new strategies along the way.

• Haha
Reactions: lioness
So true! We're all figuring it out as we go and learning from each other's experiences. Toddlerhood can certainly be a challenge but having a supportive network of parents makes navigating the uncertainties a lot more fun!

So true! We're all figuring it out as we go and learning from each other's experiences. Toddlerhood can certainly be a challenge but having a supportive network of parents makes navigating the uncertainties a lot more fun!
It definitely takes a village, and thankfully, we've got this online community to rely on for shared wisdom and camaraderie!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu