• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

chickadee

Top-Notch
Reaction score
Managing your toddler's behavior can be challenging, but we're here to help! Share your struggles and successes, and pick up some new tips and tricks for guiding your little one's behavior in a positive direction. Let's explore strategies for managing tantrums, encouraging good habits, and fostering emotional intelligence—our toddlers will thank us for it!

I'm really lucky 'cause my kid mostly behaves! Knock on wood. But when he does have a tantrum it's usually because he's tired or hungry - we've all been there, right?! I just make sure to give him lots of attention and love so he knows it's not about who's boss or anything, then go over the rules in a gentle way.

I think also making sure they have enough sleep helps with behavior - it keeps the monsters at bay! HAHA. But really, when the little man is cranky and overtired, that's when the monster appears hahaha. So I just do my best to keep on top of his sleep schedule. Can't let the monsters win!

I've been lucky so far - my kiddo's pretty well-behaved and doesn't throw tantrums often. When it comes to managing behavior, I've found that distraction works wonders! If I see a potential meltdown brewing, I quickly redirect his attention with another activity or start a fun, lighthearted game. Also, giving choices helps too - like letting him pick between two options for meals or activities. This way, he feels involved and in control, which prevents some meltowns.

For emotional intelligence, we've been working on recognizing feelings. I'll describe my own feelings out loud, and ask him to guess why I feel that way. Then, we roleplay - he acts out a happy or sad situation, and I do the same. It's adorable and helps him connect with others' emotions.

Overall, it's about staying calm and keeping the kiddo engaged! Not an easy feat, but worth it.

I've been lucky so far - my kiddo's pretty well-behaved and doesn't throw tantrums often. When it comes to managing behavior, I've found that distraction works wonders! If I see a potential meltdown brewing, I quickly redirect his attention with another activity or start a fun, lighthearted game. Also, giving choices helps too - like letting him pick between two options for meals or activities. This way, he feels involved and in control, which prevents some meltowns.

For emotional intelligence, we've been working on recognizing feelings. I'll describe my own feelings out loud, and ask him to guess why I feel that way. Then, we roleplay - he acts out a happy or sad situation, and I do the same. It's adorable and helps him connect with others' emotions.

Overall, it's about staying calm and keeping the kiddo engaged! Not an easy feat, but worth it.
Same here! Distraction is my go-to too. When my tot starts getting antsy or throwing a small tantrum, I swoop in with a different activity or some silly fun. Keeps 'em on their toes and saves us from potential meltdowns.

Giving choices is an excellent trick to let them feel involved and in control - we definitely want to avoid power struggles!

Love the feelings roleplay, by the way. I might "borrow" that when my tot's a bit older. Cute and clever way to teach EQ. High fives for keeping them engaged - it's a real challenge but we're doing our best!

Reactions: nature
Same here! Distraction is my go-to too. When my tot starts getting antsy or throwing a small tantrum, I swoop in with a different activity or some silly fun. Keeps 'em on their toes and saves us from potential meltdowns.

Giving choices is an excellent trick to let them feel involved and in control - we definitely want to avoid power struggles!

Love the feelings roleplay, by the way. I might "borrow" that when my tot's a bit older. Cute and clever way to teach EQ. High fives for keeping them engaged - it's a real challenge but we're doing our best!
Haha! I'm glad to hear you've got some effective tricks up your sleeve too! It's nice to share these little wins. And yup, distraction is often our savior too - toddlerhood is a tricky phase, but these methods help make it more manageable. Here's to keeping them on their toes ! ;)

Reactions: cissy
Toddlers are like little balls of energy with mood swings hahaha! Managing them is a challenge because they have so much going on and get overwhelmed. I feel it's best to give them space to express themselves, tantrum or not, as long as they're not hurting anyone.

I try to keep calm and use distraction as a tool. Like yesterday, my kid was having a melt down 'cause he wanted ice cream for breakfast - which was a big no from me. So I quickly whipped out his favorite toy from the closet, and voila, instant diversion! He forgot all about the ice cream drama.

Also, I find that explaining things to them in simple terms helps too. Like telling them why they can't have this or that, or what's gonna happen next, keeps them a bit more calm 'cause they know what's up.

Timeouts are also effective for my little one. He gets a warning first and if the misbehavior continues, he goes into timeout. But honestly, it's really a day-to-day struggle, got to keep changing strategies!

When it comes to managing toddler behaviour, I find that a little bit of patience goes a long way! Of course, it's also about finding the right strategies. I've realised distractions can work wonders when my kid throws tantrums - like taking them outdoors or showing them their favourite toy, depending on the situation. It helps to shift their focus and calm them down. Also, I make it a point to praise good behaviour as much as possible because positive reinforcement works like magic! It's awesome how kids absorb and adapt to good habits when we shower them with praise for doing the right things. Not all heroes wear capes - some are busy parenting toddlers!

• Love
Reactions: luciana
Managing behaviour can be a juggle, no doubt! But I've been lucky with some things that have helped me.

For one, I think it's really about catching them being good! I make it a point to notice the little things toddler does right and highlight those actions - like saying please or holding the door for someone. I feel like praising the good stuff encourages more of the same. Also, giving choices helps me avoid full-blown meltdowns. Like, "Do you want to wear the red shirt or the blue shirt today?" It lets them feel like they have some control and that helps.

Then, there's also diverting their attention when I sense a tantrum brewing. Like, if they're getting upset about not getting a toy at the store, I quickly ask them if they see that ice cream over there and suggest we go get one! Works like a charm most times, heh.

These are just some things I've done that have worked for me. Would love to hear other ideas too!

• Haha
Reactions: wellness
Ah yes, managing toddler behaviour is a handful of fun . I feel ya!

I find that being able to anticipate and distract works well too. Like when we're out and about, I bring along her favourite snacks or small toys to divert her attention from potential tantrum triggers. And yep, keeping them in the loop helps too! I tell mine what's happening throughout the day, in a simple way, so she knows what to expect.

I've also found myself dishing out warnings like a teacher haha! But it does help, gives them a chance to compose themselves and know that you mean business. You're right about having to employ a whole toolkit of strategies - one day distraction works, the next it might not!

• Love
Reactions: lioness
I think we're on the same page here! Diversion is a lifesaver man. It's great that you've found what works for your child - it's so individual-specific, right?

I also love the emotion-coaching tip! It's amazing how observant they can be when we give them a chance to express themselves. Role-playing is a cool idea too; sounds like fun! Keep us posted if you find any new hacks - always good to learn from each other!

It's quite a challenge managing toddlers and their behaviour sia, can be quite a headache! But I think one good strategy is to distraction method lor. When my little one starts having a tantrum, I just divert their attention to something else - like a toy or an activity they like. It helps to calm them down and forget about the initial trigger for their emotion.

Reactions: koala and queenie
Managing behavior is like trying to catch smoke! Each kiddo has their own unique personality, so what works for one might not work for another.

I find that using a mix of incentives and simple rules helps. For example, my little one responds well to visual rewards - sticker charts and the likes. We also have a no-yelling rule, which means we take time outs when emotions run high. It calms everyone down and we can talk through it afterward.

It's definitely not easy, but then again, parenting never is! Haha.

I totes agree that distractions and keeping them in the know helps! It’s like dodging a bullet sometimes.

Yeah, I give warnings too haha sounds so official but it really does help! And you never know what might work from one day to another, keeps me on my toes.

They're little balls of energy got to love their vivacity though! Space for expression is good, as long as no one gets hurt -- yup, totally get that!

Distraction technique is my go-to, it's like a magical trick haha! And I'm sure many mummies will agree it's a lifesaver to have our bag of tricks ready when we're out and about.

Ah, the joy and chaos of managing toddler behaviour! I'm sure many of us here can relate to the challenges - it's a mix of patience, endurance, and figuring out what works best for our little ones!

One thing that has helped me is understanding what triggers their moods and behaviours. Once we spot the triggers, we can prepare ourselves mentally or have a quick chat with our tot to help manage expectations. It could be as simple as being mindful that their favourite TV show is ending, or realising they're hungry/tired - our toddlers will then have an easier time regulating their emotions when they know what's going on too!

Also, giving choices has been a life saver! Eg., "Do you want to wear your fav shirt today or that cool new one?" They feel involved and less likely to throw a tantrum if they're given some control.

What other tips do folks have for keeping our cool and keeping them calm? Share the love, haha!

Managing behavior can be such a headache ah. I feel ya!

Both my toddlers are so different from each other in terms of their personalities and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. So, it has been an interesting journey of trial and error - a constant juggling act, man!

For me, the key is really to stay consistent and stick to the discipline strategies I've set, otherwise they'll sense inconsistency and go haywire! Haha! But also got to be adaptable la, sometimes my kids throw something totally new at me, so ya know, got to think on my feet.

I find giving choices help, like "Do you want to wear this or that?" or "Do you want to pick up the toys now or in 5 minutes?" Gives them some sense of control and they feel less likely to throw a tantrum. But then also have to tailor the options given, cannot give those little rascals choices that'll end up hurting themselves or breaking stuff! Or else how to manage sia.

Also, I make it a point to acknowledge their emotions, like if they're upset over something, I'll validate their feelings and explain why they feel that way. Then, I redirect their focus and suggest a different activity. Doesn't always work, but it's been somewhat effective so far!

Tantrums, man - those are the hardest to manage. I usually try to stay calm and not raise my voice . I find taking them away from the situation and giving them some space helps cool everyone down. If it's a full-blown meltdown, I'll just make sure they're safe, let them vent, and ride it out. Most of the time, I just have to wait it out while keeping other curious onlookers at bay.

Yeah, managing toddlers - got to stay on your toes man! But also such a fun ride, seeing their personalities develop and all.

I feel ya! Spotting triggers and giving choices are awesome ways to manage toddler moods. It's like being a secret agent, all aware and prepared!

I find having a general routine also helps - toddlers seem to thrive with some structure and predictability. And when all else fails, distraction is key! A quick game or silly song can save the day and shift their focus. We also do a fun "calm down corner" wind-down with soft music and cozy pillows when the moods are high. It's not always successful, but it's a nice reset button to try!

Anything you've found that really helps your cool when theirs is melting?

True ah managing toddlers can give us major headaches! Agree that consistency is key or else the kids will really test our boundaries. And quick thinking on our part is so important too - can't rely on standard tactics forever haha!

I also find giving choices helps a lot, and giving them some sense of control over their environment/routine. Like you said, we just have to be clever about the options we present, cannot let them wreak havoc!

I like your tactic of acknowledging their emotions - gotta help them understand and manage their feelings too. And yup, tantrums are the worst; staying calm is so hard but usually works best, plus removing them from the situation. Can't just keep giving in to their demands or else they'll never learn! But man, it's really not an easy job haha. We're doing our best!

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu