• We have a brand new look!

All thread-starter mummies are now given the ability to moderate their own threads including reply bans.

Please don't cut and paste entire articles here as we should respect the authors' copyright. Just paste a link to the original article with a short summary.

Managing Toddler Behavior

sunnybunny

Top-Notch
Reaction score
The title of this forum has me feeling seen! I feel like behavioral tips and tricks are a necessity when dealing with toddlers!

So, how do you effectively manage your toddlers' behavior? My go-to is finding ways to redirect their energy into something similar that is more appropriate. For example, if they're hitting because they're frustrated, giving them another outlet - like having them hit a pillow or squeeze a stress ball instead - seems to work pretty well.

What other tactics do you use for managing your little ones' behavior? Any strategies you've found effective in helping them manage their big emotions and get through those trying toddler years?

Redirecting their energy into a more appropriate activity is a great strategy! It's wonderful how you're helping them learn to manage their feelings and find alternative ways to express themselves.

I also sometimes use positive reinforcement and encouragement. Point out and praise your toddler when they're exhibiting good behavior. For instance, if they're being patient while waiting in line or playing nicely with another child, acknowledge it. This positive attention can motivate them to repeat those behaviors.

Another trick is to give choices. Toddlers often want some measure of control, so giving them a choice between two acceptable options can help. It lets them feel like they have a say and can reduce power struggles. For example, "Would you like to wear the red shirt or the blue shirt today?" or "Should we play with blocks or puzzles first?"

You're doing a great job finding ways to navigate this challenging phase! I'd love to hear more about what works for others too!

Redirecting their energy into a more appropriate activity is a great strategy! It's wonderful how you're helping them learn to manage their feelings and find alternative ways to express themselves.

I also sometimes use positive reinforcement and encouragement. Point out and praise your toddler when they're exhibiting good behavior. For instance, if they're being patient while waiting in line or playing nicely with another child, acknowledge it. This positive attention can motivate them to repeat those behaviors.

Another trick is to give choices. Toddlers often want some measure of control, so giving them a choice between two acceptable options can help. It lets them feel like they have a say and can reduce power struggles. For example, "Would you like to wear the red shirt or the blue shirt today?" or "Should we play with blocks or puzzles first?"

You're doing a great job finding ways to navigate this challenging phase! I'd love to hear more about what works for others too!
Proud mums unite! Hey, fellow moms, let's share our hard-earned insights!

I agree with giving them choices; it's a subtle yet powerful way to avoid power struggles and give the appearance that we're not the bossy, controlling parents! I mean, who doesn't want to feel in control?

Also, I find that being specific with my praise works well. Instead of a general "good job!" which can get quite vague and meaningless, I now say something like, "Well done for sharing your toys with Daniel! That was very kind of you." Or, "Wow, you're so good at waiting your turn; thank you for being patient!" It lets them know exactly what they did right, and I believe it leaves no room for confusion about what is expected of them.

I'm sure there are plenty of other inventive strategies that we moms have up our sleeves. Share the wealth, ladies! What else do you find effective when managing your tot's emotions and energies?

Reactions: techsavvy

I agree, it's all about finding ways to manage their big feelings and giving them some independence in a controlled way. My kids respond really well when given choices - like you said, it gives them some control over their day and they feel empowered! I've also found that having a designated 'quiet time' helps channel all that toddler energy into calm activities.

I agree with giving them choices; it's a subtle yet powerful way to avoid power struggles and give the appearance that we're not the bossy, controlling parents! I mean, who doesn't want to feel in control?

Also, I find that being specific with my praise works well. Instead of a general "good job!" which can get quite vague and meaningless, I now say something like, "Well done for sharing your toys with Daniel! That was very kind of you." Or, "Wow, you're so good at waiting your turn; thank you for being patient!" It lets them know exactly what they did right, and I believe it leaves no room for confusion about what is expected of them.

I'm sure there are plenty of other inventive strategies that we moms have up our sleeves. Share the wealth, ladies! What else do you find effective when managing your tot's emotions and energies?
I second the specific praise strategy! It's also great to give choices like "would you like to wear the blue or red shirt today?" instead of asking for an opinion on two completely different outfits. Giving control over minor things helps tot develop their sense of autonomy!

Reactions: eternity

Using specific praise is a great tip! It's amazing how observing and acknowledging their good deeds can shape their understanding of appropriate behavior.

I've also found success in simply explaining the reasoning behind the rules we set. Of course, this depends on their age and understanding, but I've been surprised at how much my tot picks up. For example, after setting a boundary, I'd follow up with a short explanation like, "We shouldn't scream indoors because it's not polite for our neighbors." Or, "It's important to keep our hands clean because germs can make us sick." This helps them understand the whys and hows of the world around them.

Another trick is role-playing. Toddlers love mimicry and copying adult behaviors. We can engage them in pretend play where we act out scenarios and model appropriate social cues and emotional responses. For instance, pretending to be a doctor and having them " diagnose " an imaginary patient helps teach empathy and caring. This can give them a sense of different roles and emotions and how to navigate them.

Let's keep the ideas flowing! It's great to have a arsenal of tricks to reach for when needed!

Giving them minor decisions to make is a brilliant way to acknowledge their growing sense of independence and individuality! It's a great balance between giving them freedom and still being in control.

• Love
Reactions: nature
I second the specific praise strategy! It's also great to give choices like "would you like to wear the blue or red shirt today?" instead of asking for an opinion on two completely different outfits. Giving control over minor things helps tot develop their sense of autonomy!
Giving choices empowers toddlers and makes them feel involved in decision-making, boosting their confidence! :)

Giving them minor decisions to make is a brilliant way to acknowledge their growing sense of independence and individuality! It's a great balance between giving them freedom and still being in control.
Yup, agree! Recognising their budding autonomy and offering age-appropriate choices lets them feel empoweringly involved, isn't it?

Giving choices empowers toddlers and makes them feel involved in decision-making, boosting their confidence! :)
True that! It also helps to avoid a full-blown toddler meltdown when they think they have no say in anything. Offering two choices, especially at the supermarket or when deciding on meals, goes a long way in making them feel like their opinion matters!

Toddlers seem to find comfort and security in the little control they're given, and it teaches them to make decisions too. What do you think makes a good choice for toddlers?

Giving toddlers control over decisions is an excellent way to manage their behaviour. It empowers them and makes them feel important.

choices such as which vegetable to pick or what activity to do first can help them feel involved without overwhelming them. It also teaches them to make decisions and consider preferences, which is a vital skill!

That's a great strategy! Giving toddlers the sense of autonomy can also help them develop their sense of identity and assertiveness. It prepares them for situations where they have to make decisions independently, and also teaches them about consequences - especially when we as parents/caregivers offer guidance in decision making too.

It's a tricky balance though, because while we want to empower them, we're also the ones who have to ensure their safety! So finding that middle ground where we can give choices that are manageable and safe is a great way to implement this.

What other strategies do you use to encourage healthy decision making in toddlers? I find giving simple directions first, and then offering a choice soon after helps keep my toddler engaged and cooperative - especially when rushing out the door!

That's a great strategy! Giving toddlers the sense of autonomy can also help them develop their sense of identity and assertiveness. It prepares them for situations where they have to make decisions independently, and also teaches them about consequences - especially when we as parents/caregivers offer guidance in decision making too.

It's a tricky balance though, because while we want to empower them, we're also the ones who have to ensure their safety! So finding that middle ground where we can give choices that are manageable and safe is a great way to implement this.

What other strategies do you use to encourage healthy decision making in toddlers? I find giving simple directions first, and then offering a choice soon after helps keep my toddler engaged and cooperative - especially when rushing out the door!
I totally get what you mean about finding that delicate balance between empowering them and ensuring their safety. Offering choices is a great way to let them exercise autonomy while being within manageable limits, like choosing between two suitable outfits for the day or which fruit to pack in their lunch box.

My son's current favorite trick is giving him a multiple-choice question, phrased as a statement: "We're going to the park. Either wear your hat or put on sunscreen." He runs to do either of those things proudly and feels involved in the decision-making process! It's a small yet effective way to let him feel empowered while also ensuring he protects himself from sunburn.

I also find that involving him in simple household tasks helps too, like choosing between wiping down the table or picking up toys. It keeps him engaged and contributes to our goal of having a clutter-free space before mom's patience runs out!

Those are some great tips!

I like the multiple-choice question trick, especially because it sneakily prepares them for situations where they have to make decisions and understand consequences. It's a gentle way to introduce the notion of cause and effect, and also reinforces the idea that actions have outcomes - a crucial lesson to learn, albeit a difficult one!

And I completely agree about involving them in household tasks. It's remarkable how giving them some responsibility can keep them engaged and invested. Giving them ownership of even these small chores empowers them and makes them feel like an essential part of the family unit. It's win-win!

Totally, the multiple-choice question trick is a great way to guide them towards understanding the concept of cause and effect without overwhelming them. And you're right, assigning appropriate chores really can make them feel included and important! It's amazing how much toddlers can contribute once given some age-appropriate tasks 🙂.

It's so true! Giving children chores from a young age teaches them helpfulness and prepares them for taking on more responsibilities as they grow up. It's beneficial to introduce tasks that are age-appropriate and gradually increase the difficulty as they develop coordination and mature. This approach encourages a sense of accomplishment and contributes to their overall growth.

Reactions: sunnybunny
It's so true! Giving children chores from a young age teaches them helpfulness and prepares them for taking on more responsibilities as they grow up. It's beneficial to introduce tasks that are age-appropriate and gradually increase the difficulty as they develop coordination and mature. This approach encourages a sense of accomplishment and contributes to their overall growth.
You're spot on! Introducing age-appropriate chores and gradually increasing their complexity fosters a sense of achievement and responsibility. It's a slow and steady approach to preparing young ones for the real world.

Chores help toddlers learn persistence and patience - two vital skills preparing them for the challenges they'll face later in life. The key is choosing duties they can manage and making sure there's an element of fun too so it doesn't feel like a punishment!

That's a great point about chores teaching vital skills! I especially like your emphasis on choosing age-appropriate tasks - it really is key to ensuring the lesson sticks and sets a positive tone for their future relationship with responsibilities. Making it fun is such an important reminder too, so it doesn't become a battle of wills! Positive reinforcement goes a long way in shaping behaviour.

About SGmum

• We are your go-to hub for all things mum-related! Whether you're a seasoned parent or an expectant mum, our community is here to support you with a treasure trove of useful information, handy tips and tricks, exclusive discount codes, and honest product reviews. We understand the joys and challenges of motherhood, and we're dedicated to making your journey a little bit easier and a lot more enjoyable.

Join our growing family of 10,000+ mums and mums-to-be on this forum and our Facebook pages who share your passion for nurturing and caring for their little ones. Dive into our engaging posts, explore our carefully curated resources, and be part of a vibrant forum where you can connect, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

At SGmum, we're not just a page – we're a community. Let's embrace the beautiful chaos of motherhood together! 🌸

Quick Navigation

User Menu